Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 9" / 30-31 Coupe / 40 Ford Wheels = pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Countn'Carbs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I've searched the many pages of "what width rearend for a model A" threads with great information but haven't found what I'm after.

Is anybody running a early bronco (66-77) rearend (58" wms to wms) under a non channeled, fenderless 30/31 coupe with stock 40 ford 16" steelies?

I've got a chance to pick up an early bronco rearend at a decent price for a build but I'm concerned it might look too wide with 16x5 40 ford steelies.

Any pics of this set up would be great.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If the car is fenderless the rearend width pretty much can't be too wide.
    If you think it is get your wheels offset to the outside and that ought to fix you up.

3. I narrowed my search down to a bronco rearend for my A as the rearend I want, problem is that they are pricey because they only came in broncos that particular length and I have seen basket case broncos still go for basket case Deuce prices. Get it man get it. My A will run fenderless, stock ride height, with split bones, and 19'' stock model A wire wheels.-Weeks

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

No photos of a Model A ... ( I am a 32 Ford guy )
    But go ahead and get the Bronco rear end. I have one under my 32 Roadster. They work great.

[​IMG]

They come from the factory as two basic different rear ends.

1 ) The small bearing rear end. 2700 lbs rating. It will have the 10 X 2.5 brake drums
    2 ) The large bearing rear end. 3300 lbs rating. It will have the 11 X 2 brake drums.

[​IMG]

Either will work great but the one with the large bearing is easier to find brake drums for ... because they are the same as the F-100 pickups.

5. I used an early Bronco rear in my '30 "A" roadster on a '32 frame with forty Ford wheels. The forty Ford wheels are the same lug pattern as the Bronco which is an added bonus for you. I thought it looked good in that car.

Attached Files:

6. Early shot of the 31 on 32 frame build.
    [​IMG]

56" drum to drum.
    Home narrowed 62 Ford pickup that was originally 61 1/2"
    Shown are 2 7/8" back space 15" x 10" wheels with 31" tall tires 8" tread width.

Further on down the road with the build.
    [​IMG]

Wheels are modern steelies with dual bolt pattern.
    Rear:
    P235/75R-15
    6" tread width
    28" tall
    6" x 15" wheel

Front:
    165R/80-15
    4 ½" tread width
    25" tall
    5" x 15" wheel

If I remember right, backspacing is 2 1/2" and maybe 3".

If you want a closer fit, many of the old syle mag wheels came with 4" backspacing.

Slot mags and CenterLines being two styles that I have direct experience with.

Torque Thrust wheels are probably the same vis a vis backspacing.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

'68 bronco 9" , 15 X 5 gennies. There is 4" between wheel well arch rib and inside edge of tread on tire.

Attached Files:

• rear.jpg
      rear.jpg
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thanks guys...I appreciate all the info.

oldrelics - do you by chance have a rear shot from further back where you can see both sides?

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

My garage is kinda squishy, I'll try and get a shot late tonite......

10. Here's a picture of that rear and wheel combo on my T, just a look at where the rims will end up on the backing plate side. The rims are 16 X 4.5 trucks and the tire is a 16 X 6.50 Lester. Hope that helps a bit.

[​IMG]

11. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Here it is....oops..... camera not quite center....

Attached Files:

12. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

I am building a model a I welded the spring hangers and stock model a width and unfortunately they are pretty much right next to the backing plate leaving me no room to install backing plates. I'm gonna have to slot the hangers to get to the bleeder screws. Any other possible ways around this?