Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadsters Fathers Day Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 2, 2017.

1. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

You are absolutely right with regards to your colleagues enthusiasm about the "Burning Man" festival along with the thousands of others that continue to participate in that event annually that are likely to be looking forward to it's re-occurrence the following year with the same amount of enthusiasm. How could this be? It's because the event in its current form strikes a chord within them that drives their desire and passion to attend it year after year if they can swing it in terms of the time and financial obligations required to be a part of it. However, I'm sure that is predicated on whether or not the event will be organized, administrated and managed in a fashion similar to the last event which will continue to meet the expectations of both participant and spectator alike.

What's been discussed and described in the past posts on this thread doesn't really have anything to do with the amount of money, time & effort required to participate or spectate at this event (i.e., The L. A. Roadster Show, Exhibition & Swap Meet), if I'm reading the inference being made in the quote above regarding "enthusiasm vs. costs" accurately as they allude to the enthusiasm of those colleagues of "clunker" who attend the "Burning Man" event annually. The issue at hand relates to expectation levels cultivated over a long period of time that have resulted in a popular annual event which were suddenly eroded in a short period of time as a result of drastic changes which have the affect of creating a less than enthusiastic event turnout by former participants and spectators. Arguably this tag aptly describes many of us who've attended and looked forward to the LARS annually (some for decades) and know what works and what doesn't. It's obvious to many past and recent LARS participants and spectators after this years paltry attendance that the recent changes weren't a recipe for success and preservation of the LARS. Its painfully obvious something needs to be done to reverse course, and those of us who have a care or concern engaged in this ongoing discussion about the future of this event (the LARS) with constructive criticisms and ideas shared about how to pave a way forward and possibly achieve its' preservation.

Likewise, were the "Burning Man" annual event to go through some "sea changes" that did nothing to improve its' structure, rules, regulations & cost while radically altering its' original format for those attending and participating in it annually (who arguably make the event what it is in terms of its' continued popularity and success), rest assured they would have some constructive criticisms to make and may in the end choose to no longer attend if they saw no response from the organizers to reverse changes that didn't enhance or help preserve the annual event to meet the expectations of its participants cultivated over many years. Cost, time and effort are merely ancillary issues in this discussion. In the case of the LARS, the real issue is whether or not it's worth going to an event that is dubbed a "roadster show" but has hardly any roadsters and is laid out in such a manner that it makes it more cumbersome than it needs to be for participant and spectator alike to traverse it's "user unfriendly" layout.

Lastly, to the point, "...I don't really have anything like that, I wish I did. It sounds cool.". That's why this discussion exists and includes all the other HAMB-er's who've posted on this thread. They DO have something (i.e., LARS) which is unique, has history & traditions affiliated with it which they WISH to maintain it because it is COOL. However, if lines of communication aren't open, if participant feedback given is not taken under consideration by those in control, then the potential will be higher that we'll be saying, "I remember when we had something really cool called the LARS". Enthusiasts will get disenchanted, lose enthusiasm and ultimately "Burn Out" on going through the motions in the pursuit of the "Glory Days" that no longer exist. Again, this could occur due to the ineptitude and inability of those in control to acknowledge the realities of a declining annual event they're faced with and choosing not to address them as required for its' preservation and future success. Thanks for your input, "clunker" and thanks in advance to anyone else providing input that gives perspective, positive suggestions or solutions in response to this post regarding the future of the LARS....PRE48V-8\:^]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

3. That's about the clearest explanation of a really complex topic that I've ever heard. I've read every post in this thread, and I now feel like I'm getting some the nuances. Thanks Pre48V-8.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Very well stated and to the point! The LARS may never be the same as we experienced over the years as participants, vendors and spectators but I am confident that John will come forth with a different plan for next year that will provide a better experience for all who attend.

5. I'm bringing this back up because I'm hoping the LARS will continue to climb out of the debacle of turning it over to John Buck. We should do all we can to encourage the club to be more inclusive and expand the participation for all of us that don't want to see the the tradition of the LARS die. The LA Roadster Club members should make this their primary mission and legacy that the club and show continue into the future for all of those that come after us. This year we should encourage everyone to drive their roadster or hot rod through those gates of the Fairplex , or just come as a spectator. Long live the LA Roadster Show!

PRE48V-8, deucemac, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  6. The "Debacle" as you called it came from the LA Roadsters going to John and asking him to take over the show. They were having problems running the show and it was already in trouble. The problems were two fold - they now had a business running the show, which means it had to make money and pay a staff, That means the costs go up. the second issue was a portion of the club did not agree with the move and did not support it. Without them being behind the change 100%, it was doomed from the go to have problems. Maybe that was just what they needed to find the motivation to run the show the way they did when they were younger. Many of the members were just kind of stuck in a rut with it and burned out. Now they have taken it back, and to cut cost have eliminated Sunday - which is really Ironic since it always was known as the Fathers Day show - and Fathers Day is Sunday! I hope it continues in a healthy manner, but it will never be what it was in the heyday.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Worry!----We have taken the show back, only thing that bothers me is the fact that there will be NO SUNDAY (Fathers Day) show! This has always been an international known event. Now that I'm a Lifetime Honorary member I have no vote, & the board has spoken their decision. It seems as tho too many swappers & some display open cars were leaving on Sat. over the last years, & the public was paying to come & see open cars & lots of swap items. There will still be the Sat. night BBQ on picnic hill for all open car entrants. John Buck is still an active LAR member.-----Don. DSC02193.JPG

8. If it was going to make it a success, as you argued it would in the past, then why did they take it back? It was a debacle when John did it in the wrong ways with poorly planned changes, that drove the roadsters, the "Stars of the Show" away, and along with it the spectators, and the profit. When I walked through the show and there wasn't a fraction of the roadsters that would have been there, I was dismayed. It didn't help either that the gate wasn't manned in the morning of the first day either, so some of the spectators walked in for free.

"The problems were two fold - they now had a business running the show, which means it had to make money and pay a staff,....." Isn't this the decision that caused the changes which drove "the participants" away?

None of us "on the outside" knew "the second issue was a portion of the club did not agree with the move and did not support it. Without them being behind the change 100%, it was doomed from the go to have problems." That wouldn't have mattered anyway, because the "participants" didn't agree with the changes. Why proceed into a big change if the minority could see the it wouldn't be viable? Divided organizations rarely succeed, and the leadership should have recognized that.

Sure, Sunday is now gone, but as my friend Don said, "too many swappers & some display open cars were leaving on Sat. over the last years" drove that change, just like the "participants" did when they didn't show up after the ill advised changes in 2017. Don really gets it and he has the miles in a Roadster, and as the past President of the club to recognize the need for some changes. For the guys that don't live nearby, they weren't there for Sunday anyway, even to the point of not getting the coveted mugs, because they have a long haul home and back to work.

The LA Roadster Show, as Don said, is an international event and it doesn't just belong to So Cal, it belongs to the world. Although it may not be what it once was, the perception of the participants will determine its future. The generational change of the baby boomers aging out is having it effect and the hot weather in 2015 and 2016 didn't help either, but the only way you can change that is to make it inclusive so the younger guys want to be a part of the tradition and make it a success. I saw this comment on the website "Bangshift" along with their coverage of the 2017 show.

"When I drive back North, I’ll lift a middle finger when driving through and past Pomona to those old worn out antiques – the LA Roadsters – you old fools have shit where you eat for the last time with me. Too Bad. You greedy dinosaurs have made nothing but money for far too many years on that show. LAR If you’re too old and tired to do it right, close the thing down and just buy a cemetary plot and get in it."

If you don't change the perception of the LA Roadsters, it will indeed die. If we all pull together to keep it alive, it will survive. That means taking any profit to individuals out of the club, open the books and making it an all volunteer show with a lot more people involved, more members, more associate members, more promotion by everyone involved to spread the work load around. As I have said before, the MSRA organization continues to thrive with the "Back To The Fifties" show in Minnesota, so that is the blueprint to look at.

Look at NASCAR, they are hurting because they forgot the fans that made them successful, and now interest is waning and the stands are empty because the ticket prices and concessions are too high, the racing stale with a format copied from stick and ball sports. They killed the tradition and its now killing them.

Keep defending the indefensible if you want, for the sake of your loyalty to John and the members that supported him, but let's move on and look to the future. Just because "it will never be what it was in the heyday" doesn't mean we shouldn't redouble our efforts to make it better. I hear a lot of doom and gloom from us baby boomers that it will all die when we're gone. No, its not all about us! I see young guys with the same passion we had years ago. We just don't know it because we don't hang out with them. The grass roots of all of us that care can help make it better than it is now. I applaud the club making a very smart change that will bring in more non-roadsters and participants and their families, and enhance the draw for spectators. This is a good start. It is:

Specialty Car Parking
    Specialty parking for 1980 and older autos and pickups. Classics, Hot Rods, and other Special Interest cars will be entered in this large area forming a huge car show.
    Admission is $10 per car, $20 per person/per day. Children under 12 are free. Enter through gate #15.

Last year was better, and this year will be even better yet. All across this country, lets encourage our friends, especially our younger friends to get in their hot rods and drive to the LARS. Invite them into your group of friends and help them make the trip. Or buy or build their first roadster and experience the thrill of going cross country in one. You can buy a decent used roadster for less than $25K these days. It doesn't have to be a gennie steel Deuce or a show winner to have fun. Its the drive through this beautiful country with your friends and the new ones you'll make along the way that makes a trip to the LARS something you'll never forget.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I live just up the street a few miles, and I'm debating whether or not to go this year.
    Last year was horrible. Few vendors, the swap area was about 75% (Sat.) full, the non-open roadster areas was...ok, the open roadster area was...well...it was there.

The only good part was the entry cost was down to where it used to be, so good on the promoters for that. But even that, it just barely gave the feeling of getting your moneys worth.

Too bad I remember the...old days when it took two days to get thru everything, not just a couple of hours.

Mike

10. uncle buck

uncle buck

I resemble these remarks about Sunday. With a nearly 2500 mile round trip I have to manage my time. While I have enjoyed the Saturday night bbq the few times I’ve driven my roadster to the event, the having to wait until early afternoon Sunday for the coveted mug was a major disappointment because I found myself driving north well into Sunday and Monday evenings to be back to work at 6:00 am Tuesday. This has also been the decision maker for the majority of my trips as a Swapmeet vendor instead of a roadster participant. As a Swapmeet vendor I will normally start my way home Saturday night so the drive home is easier. I don’t fault John for all of his changes as he was committed to running the show as a business with a big financial responsibility to overcome. He also helped in fixing the Swapmeet rat race problem of all the “saved” swap spaces with his change offering preregistration for the Swapmeet. I felt the Swapmeet was good last year but found it very disappointing that the majority (I felt) of the club members didn’t even bring their roadsters to the show to support it.

Lil32 likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

The LARS was on my Bucket List until I finally got there for the 50th, went back a few years later. Everyone should see it at least once. The swap meet is what I'd followed for years in Rod & Custom coverage, thought it would be vintage speed equipment and pre 1940 Ford parts one spot after the other. Reality was different. I know 50 years of swap meets have drained the parts, vendors are older or passed on. How do you get the vendors back, that is a problem. Roadster owners, other Vintage drive ins, swap meet, general public, keeping these groups happy, and coming back is the challenge. Bob

Lil32 likes this.
  12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheer up!-----We will strive to make it better for all to enjoy again!----As far as the long trip home after the show, when we were at Great Western in the 70's, I would pass out the mugs early to BAR, & others discreetly as they pushed their open cars to the gate before firing up, giving them an early start.
    How many of you know the "Sticker" story?? The STICKER story.jpg

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lil32 likes this.
  14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Last year was much improved. Looking forward to selling at the swap this year.

Lil32, uncle buck and The37Kid like this.
  15. If it all goes to plan, I'll be driving my RPU down with the San Luis Roadster guys. I'm really looking forward to it.

Lil32, Dean Lowe and The37Kid like this.
  16. The last few years it's been so spread out that it's just too much walking to see very little. Many pockets of a dozen cars or less a few hundred feet away, the same with swap vendors....not to mention the over priced garbage in the swap meet. I used to fill my car with treasures, but haven't bought a fucking thing in years! I used to get in town Friday for the 2 speed shop open houses, Saturday show, and Sunday show...for years with one of my hot rods. The past 2 years?? Ha, no hot rod and only Saturday. No staying over the 2 nights at the local motels. This year will be a coin toss if i go at all. Kinda like not wanting to witness a friend's death.

17. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Lil32 likes this.
  19. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Gotta Support the Show or we will loose it !!

20. Yup......I'm in for sure. Even the worst day at the LARS swap is better then the best day at the Pomona swap.

Lil32, 51504bat, exterminator and 4 others like this.
  21. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I'd rather look at the "non-show" cars in the swap area than the dozens of 32 Ford clones inside.

Groucho likes this.
  22. exterminator

exterminator

I have been attending the show since it was at Bell Gardens. It has always been my all time favorite car show- period. Yes I agree the last couple of years haven't been my favorite years, but I will still go until it's no more ( hopefully 30 more years). I have spoken. Exterminator

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The LAR show was never at Bell Gardens.-----Just at Hollywood Bowl parking lot, Great Western exhibition, & Pomona fairgrounds. 11836722_10207573362323081_3615638655477126860_n.jpg 11986455_10207573362283080_7031355879087979166_n.jpg 12043025_10207573362243079_4792327418305120275_n.jpg

Attached Files:

24. exterminator

exterminator

Someone tricked me then! Help me then,i must be getting old. LOL. Wait, I wonder what show I went to? Hmmmmmm

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats OK!-----See you next show!

Lil32 and exterminator like this.
  26. Lil32

Lil32

Don
    we have come over for the last 10 shows
    did not enjoy the Buck era
    2019 was a great show ,the merchandise ladies were so welcoming
    we think the show is on the road to recovery