Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 neutral safety switch.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegreenbuzzer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

49139D5E-0FC5-4580-891C-663CD8FDF885.jpeg 86672270-57D2-4A09-8E71-AEEFCC32823D.jpeg 6132FED2-A8DF-4DB4-B4BA-C38DA279BB43.jpeg I have all the wiring finished for the 50’ Pontiac except I can’t get the neutral safety switch to work or the back up lights or the horn. Prob take the horn ring off the steering wheel and start there. Horn works if I ground it so it I know it works. One wire is supposed to go from that neutral safety switch to the starter solonoid and there is 2 other wires from the harness I can’t figure out. One is supposed to be a horn and other the shift indicator light. It shows all 3 going to to that switch circled. I have another wire that comes down the column that I fig is the shift indicator but does not work when I hook it up maybe the bulb is out. Not really worried about that but would like to fig out the neutral safety switch especially if my son or daughter drive it. I starts in all gears now. Even when i try hooking that up. I don’t see anything online about it just one used one. So maybe it did not have it in 50’? The two pics are how it was before the new wiring harness. Have no idea if any of that worked before. Other wise runs like a champ ready to paint rims and mount tires so I can drive it soon.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

It looks like you could bend back the little metal tabs and take apart the switch. Then you could clean up the contacts with a bit of sandpaper and reassemble it with a dab of electrical contact grease. If it is like later neutral safety switches, it should be adjustable on the column.

olscrounger and thegreenbuzzer like this.
  3. 54vicky

54vicky

I think you will find the blade connectors serve one function and the bullet connectors another.patience and a test light should show you what you need,the power will be one of the blade the other is what sends the power to the reverse lights or the bullet connectors will be for reverse the other set will be for the solenoid if all the rest of the wiring is intact.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A wire from the ‘starter’ terminal of the ignition switch must go to the NSS.....and through it when in N to the starter solenoid to engage the starter. If the car starts in all gear positions now, either the start wire is attached to the wrong terminal on the NSS or it is bypassing the NSS.

Ray

5. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

Yes I have to spend more time on this. Do you know how to take the horn ring off this steering wheel without breaking it. I want to check the horn button under it.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Most commonly, the horn button or center cap is removed from the ring first, then there are usually about three screws that hold the horn ring in place on the wheel hub.

The center cap may come off with a twisting motion with palm pressure or it may ‘pop’ loose when gently pried up. I am not familiar with specifics of your Pontiac, but most manufactures used these methods in the era. A Shop Manual is always a great addition to your tool box. Saves a lot of guessing and usually some grief.

Ray

firstinsteele likes this.
  7. 54vicky

54vicky

the one thing I would add to what ray said is disconnect the battery first it will save you from the dirty looks:oops:and the manual is excellent advice.possibly a search for early pontiac forums may supply good info on any questions.good luck.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From personal experience with old switches, carefully bend the tabs back (and have it on the bench...ask me how I know) and disassemble, chances are it is dirty with some corrosion. My wife has to help me reassemble, I hold it together and she taps the tabs back on. That looks very similar to the NSS on my Studebaker. Good luck.