Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bargain Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christer Lindström, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TimCT

TimCT

I've got one in my '57, I like it. All the research I did on it said they're fine, but don't expect them to last much more than 10 years. The brand new ones come with a warranty. They've got a scratch and dent section too, but those ones don't carry a warranty.

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

OUT OF STOCK (CALL FOR AVAILABILITY)

Might be the start of another "They took my money and..." thread.

3. gas man

gas man
    from socal

I just picked up a champion radiator from ledfoot in person. really nice people . fast service and helped me with a few questions when I called and asked them over the phone . cant go wrong for the money .

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Cant speak for that seller. But I have a champion in my truck cooling a mean small block ford. Cruising low (bumper to bumper) speed on a hot summer day it has no issues at all

TrailerTrashToo and Truck64 like this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What is the failure mode, what else, they start leaking ?

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Got one 8 years ago same Co. made it ,but for a 24/27T/bucket 4cores*< bigger one. I ordered "T" as I have a cut down 28 "A" shell and fits great. Happy with it,works well/ back then at the time was $150 with shipping. Only thing about them I would like,is water inlet/cap would be better ,if higher in top tank{ I'm sure it's done as they do,so top tank can be same one with holes pre cut for hose an cap ,and work for ether Chevy or Ford=cuts down cost for them,no need for two def top tanks-just weld in hose an cap for what is ordered.
    Been working fine for 8 years,I think I got a good deal. Works better then my old copper/brass that had got really old needed replacing.
    PS; make your self a shroud,I got lazy and didn't make new shroud,but need too.. 002 (4).JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  7. @dana barlow
    That Champion radiator fits that shell like it was made for it. :cool:
    How much is your A shell shortened?
    Got any more pictures of it?
    Thanks!

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Artdeco Gas Station Coral Way n 17ave Miami Fl..JPG
    It's about 3in. short for 28A,and dropped,I like low. The"T" fits well for me,with a tiny gap each side being the "T" size is 1in. less wide then the "A" an "A" size is too tall for me. Had to make custom mod brackets,but was EZ.
    I do have my own custom stone guard screen just inside shell and I lite spray paint rad behind stone guard flat black< are things I have always done from my first hot rod in the 50s.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Baron, lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  9. TimCT

TimCT

That seemed to be the most common thing, all the expanding and contracting finally caught up with it.

Truck64 and Just Gary like this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I learned a long time ago that when it comes to Cooling, Steering and Brakes buy the best. Walker radiator in my 46 Ford Convertible for twenty years and still going strong when I sold it.
    The problem with cheap Chinese radiators is the cooling tubes are epoxied rather then Tig welded meaning they can't be repaired. How much quality do you expect for $125?
    Bargain parts leave your ass on the side of the road.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No experience with Champion but the words "bargain" and "radiator" in the same sentence leaves me feeling a little "queasy".

12. I bought one for 31 shell and it fits but.....there is 1/4 gap at side of the shell on each side. Once it’s panted black with a stone guard, no one will ever notice...except me.

13. woodscaper

woodscaper

This statement is from Champions website "All of the radiators we carry are 100% aluminum from the tank, core, and welds, unless otherwise stated. It's also important to note that there is absolutely no epoxy involved." Comments from somebody that has one? I may be getting one in the future, not involved with the company.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I know Champion radiators have a California address but no where on their web site does it mention where their radiators are actually manufactured. As a result I'm thinking China and just shipped from CA.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah, they cost more now. They are made you-know-where, as if there was ever any doubt. I have one, the welds don't look too bad, but then I'm not the guy to ask on that. I don't believe there is any glue or epoxy. It seems as heavy as the brass radiator it replaced.

16. I bought one very similar to run in an old banger I put together for a weekend of thrashing / racing in the dirt.
    For the price,I got what I expected, the tank had a twist in it and the hose tubes where on the piss, the mounting tabs and shell brackets were flimsy to say the least, I got my son(a coded welder) to tig in gussets to the bottom mounts which he had no end of trouble getting the tig welds taking to the radiator material(regurgitated aluminium cans possibly) yet the gusset peices I fabbed up excepted the welds as they should.
    Running no bonnet,the top mount for the stays only lasted the weekend. Didn’t hole the top tank though,only destroyed the bracket which appears to be made of cheese.
    No complaints though,you get what you pay for.
    It cost around $400 down here to my door opposed to the couple of Gs a quality unit costs here.
    And yes, no apoxy ,all tig welded but the site said vacuum welded core to tanks.
    To date, no leaks ,cools wonderfully and patched up mounts .

17. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I've had two Champions and they are first class.. Very well made. One I had cooled down a very hot Pontiac 462. The temp gauge never moved past 190 with a 160 t-stat!!!

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a lot of thought and making sure that the radiator I wanted didn't have any epoxy in it, I bought a Champion for my 46 Merc. Specified 46 Merc with flathead when I ordered it. Within a week, I had a bright, shiny radiator for my Merc but it was for a Chevy conversion. Called them immediately and they shipped the right one that day with an apology and a return shipping label so I could return the Chevy conversion. Good people to do business with.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like my Ron Davis radiator!
    20160513_114012.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  20. gene-koning

gene-koning

The Champion radiator I put in my 39 Dodge came with a tag that said it was made in the USA. Its all welded, heavy aluminum and it came with a lifetime warranty, collecting on the warranty might be a battle but if it makes it through several years, I'm OK with it. Mine was made for a 54 Chevy truck, so there were a couple modifications to mount it in my Dodge, but it works great. Wouldn't be afraid to buy another one from them. Gene

21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Have had a Champion Radiator for several years. I like it. No problems.

22. I have used a Griffin aluminum radiator designed for a 1940 Ford and it was a expensive learning lesson , I can't say anything good about it, it never cooled properly and after fighting with it and Buddy Griffin decided to replace it, the new one wasn't a whole lot better.

I will continue to bite the bullet and use copper & brass (Walker) yeah they are expensive but the one in my old beater is 32 years old and I have never had a problem with it cooling.

I also have one in the Ranch Wagon and it's still new at 8 years of age. HRP

Baron and sidevalve8ba like this.
  23. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

I have one in my Falcon based OT pony car. Three years and 10 thousand miles so far. No problems yet.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Buddy Griffin is on my list too, and it's not my Xmas card list.

Baron, 32SEDAN and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  25. I have a champion in my 65 dart going on 6 years no problems I had to drill some holes to fit it , but for $125.oo and free shipping to Hawaii ,It is all good .

alanp561 likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Spotted this one a couple of evenings ago when i was poking around looking for something. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-FOR-1930-1932-Ford-Model-A-FlatHead-V8-Engine-AT-MT-1931/223796669956?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    Feedback on the brand is pretty good.
    A bit out of the economy price but not up in the high dollar range this outfit makes their radiators to order in Alabama. They build radiators for just about anything from Triumph sports cars to Freightliners and heavy equipment. This is for a 32 shell but they build to order anyhow. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Ford-...044085?hash=item2125db3675:g:vagAAOxyLN9SoJJH
    Brice Thomas home website. https://cgj.com/

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here. I have an "Exact Fit" radiator sitting in a box, in storage, that did not make it into a 1936 Ford.

Needless to say, it was not an "Exact Fit".

I would have had to split and widen the shell to get it in there. There was no way that I was going to suggest that to the customer.

28. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

After my rad repair shop told me that my original 40 Ford rad would be 700 dollars and a couple of weeks to repair I ordered a Champion rad from Speedway. 250 bucks if I remember correctly. I needed it quick to make a show I had entered and it only took 3 or 4 days to get to my house. It installed perfectly and has been doing it's job with no complaints or problems for 6 years. I'd buy another.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ol Buddy Griffin got into the ?correct? replacement musclecar radiator scheme in the 80's and adverised pretty heavily in many of the car rags.
    Apparently he still needed dimensions for the four core L79 Nova radiators so when I ordered mine ($400.00) direct from Buddy I furnished him with all pertinent information.
    It took Griffin a month and even after having told him GM never offered these cars with an automatic transmission it arrived with an AT cooler style lower tank, it also had that nasty black radiator paint slobbered on it.
    Shipped it back and when he finally got it back to me it looked like some blacksmith had heated it up to replace the lower tank then slobbered more paint on it without even hitting the repaired area with a wire brush.
    Suffice to say, I take every opportunity to give Griffin Radiator all the free advertising they deserve.

Desoto291Hemi and Fitty Toomuch like this.