Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features De gustibus non est disputandum

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

De gustibus non est disputandum

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    61Cruiser, HEMI32, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  2. ...And a Lorem Ipsum to you, too . . .:p

Chris Casny and belair like this.
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

ait etiam meus familiaris

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As a graphic designer, I see "Lorem Ipsum" and think dummy text. Did you know it actually has meaning? Ironically, the translation of the Lorem Ipsum sentence is:

Ironic, because I didn't have to bring all this shit up again.

Sancho, mgtstumpy, ClayMart and 3 others like this.

5. pitman

pitman

Si, Amice, tibi adsentior. ;)

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to look that up. Did you? Never was a scholar of Latin!

Chris

mgtstumpy and Stogy like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit yeah... I don't know a lick of latin.

8. I am not Latin, but I think you have cleared it up excellently.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Are we talking customs or chariots?

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Well done Ryan.

knucklenutz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Well written, Ryan. One of your better editorials.

Spooky and bchctybob like this.
  12. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

When I saw the thread title, I thought "spammer." Then I saw Ryan and I thought "he was hacked."

I sure wasn't expecting another Aztec thread :D

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Love the line about how in the late '50's Americans were stuffing themselves with everything grandiose and Barris and Roth were feeding them intravenously. So true, so very true.:)

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It wasn't bad enough that I had to learn a new HAMB format a few years back but I draw the line at learning a new language ...................................................................................

pitman, bchctybob, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Was an altar boy in my early years.
    Memorized the whole darn mass in Latin. Didn’t know what a word of it meant.
    I never cared much for custom cars in the early 60’s as a kid.
    Now I’ve grown to love them and appreciate the creativity.
    The 40’s customs are really what floats my boat.

16. "They quickly drop their opinion, shake their heads, and move on."

Yeah, they move on to the next Custom thread where they declare why they hate Customs in general and the discussed car in particular.
    This happens ad nauseum.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Squablow, Stogy, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I won't own a Low Rider, but I appreciate the work involved.

Texas57, Spooky, pitman and 3 others like this.
  18. [​IMG]I happen to own this old Ford Desoto Custom. Its Ok if folks don't like it.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've heard of this quite a bit, but I haven't actually seen much of it... If you see some guy doing this, please let me know via pm.

Spooky, Spoggie, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

A faci nisi mater posset amare!

pitman likes this.
  21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, Ryan. Does this mean we can just all agree to disagree some times and we will be ok anyway!:D

Hnstray and Old wolf like this.
  22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I am a closet custom fan. While I am a hotrodder at heart I really like mild customs. That said, when my dad bought me that first little pages R&C when I was in the hospital with pneumonia at age 12, that 1957 November issue had a really cool custom on the cover. I went to my museum to see what it was but it's sealed in plastic so I couldn't open it but that custom caught my interest as much as the several 32 Fords in that issue did. I remember studying that custom for many hours as it was a really cool design with an Olds bumper, I think Chevy headlights?, and some really cool tail fins. It was bitchin. I don't know what happened to it but it was a mild forerunner of the famous Aztec. The deuces in that book started my love of hot rods but I'll never forget that custom. As to the Aztec it's a monumental custom that should be appreciated for it's artistic value and creativity.

winduptoy likes this.
  23. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

People can pick and choose what they like or dislike about history....that car and many other customs are definitely automotive history....l like the fact that it’s history even if I’m not crazy nuts over the car......, Mark

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

thanks... The Aztec is a wonderful car in my eyes and i will admit that I let my emotions carry me away on the last thread....

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

some customs are timeless, Sam Barris Merc looked good when built and looks good now. if someone built one today exactly like it that would look good too.

this car is iconic, custom history, all these sorts of things. if someone built it today it would be odd looking, definitely not timeless. the cars time has come and gone. I like it for the 50's excess, not for it's beauty.

blowby likes this.
  26. OK, it does not happen that often as my posting suggests but I wanted to use the beautiful latin expression "ad nauseum".

Sancho, Squablow and Thor1 like this.
  27. topher5150

topher5150

spanish.jpg
    I honestly thought I was going to report a spammer today

Stogy, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  28. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

In seeing this group of car guys as a family (and it is) just as in real life there will always be different likes and dislikes as well as opinions,where I see the wheels come off the wagon is when the opinions lack respect for each other.we can disagree with out losing respect or being hurtful .That would go along way towards pulling together in the same direction.I have a real appreciation for customs,owned Artic Sands for a few years back in the seventies. Sold it because everyone said it was ugly and not cool.Live and learn. Own a hot rod now and still TRY(not always with success) but try to be respectful of others opinions.This group of people is way too creative,talented and passionate about our cars to be divided with disrespect. JMHO

Texas57, bchctybob, grumpy65 and 3 others like this.
  29. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Ryan....very nicely put. Custom cars as art is an apt depiction. Nobody is forced or required to post on a thread, which is why detractors posting on a custom thread is particularly jarring. Lack of respect. Imagine a guy posting excitedly about finding some barn find flathead powered Deuce roadster and some guy posts "pppfffttt, that isnt a hot rod....it needs a small block Chevy". It would make many guys head spin right? They would say how fast it is isnt the point...its that this flatty was last worked on in the 50s..that it was the best the original builder could do with what he could get his hands on and that it still exists in 50s form..noone disturbed it. That is what guys think who appreciate what this place is about....why they're here. My hope for 2020 and beyond...lets extend this thinking to customs, whether they're improvements or not over their original design.

30. Not even. Some need to understand context. Can b*tch all you want, but to build that 64 years ago ? Hell ... build it now with all these fancy tools, & materials.

You can "Moriarty" on .. anytime ya' like. As far as I'm concerned .. you're not just a mod' ... you're a HAMB'r.

You build it physically. Can also build it moderator'ly.

Don't make me cry. :)