Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the deal with Photo Bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

As the lead inspires--- So many photos with Photo Bucket Logo, are apparently delibertaly blurred? Is this because some pictures are being held hostage or what? Bill

2. mtndone

mtndone

They are enforcing size limits, so unless you want to pay more you only get a little free storage from them

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. They recently changed the limit because now all of a sudden I'm over the limit and they are blocking my access but will grant access for a fee. The fee seams to be $6.00 for one month, which is fine as long as I can get my photos out of there, I'm just not sure how to get them out or to be able to access them from my phone if stored on a disc.
    They definitely suck, but according to one member here so do I and I'm also lazy for having my photos hosted there.

slv63 and Texas Webb like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a warning for FREE or Paid online storage users...

When policy changes you may be caught in the crosshairs and everything you stored there and imported from there could fall victim to a company and their electronic control to manipulate your images...as PB seems to have it down to a science...

16GB flash drives hold Thousands of pics and can be had now for darn near 10 bucks or less. Save pics to your phone or desktop and import them to that Flash Drive once every couple of weeks. You can connect your phone or computer via USB to the flash drive which happens to be most cell charger cords minus the Power Puck

Large Computer portable Harddrives are also economical choices for mass storage...NO to online storage...

This is happening as we speak...

loudbang and swade41 like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew! That is a relief. I thought it was just me seeing them blurry pictures and that my mother's warning was right after all.

cptmoney, rooman, AldeanFan and 16 others like this.
  6. Thas funny.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

AND post your photos directly on the HAMB it's easy and post them in LARGE size. Flash drives are so cheap now I can get a 20 meg flash drive for about $5.00 at my local 7/11 you can store a BUNCH of photos on them.

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^^ yes there is no reason to use 3rd party photo hosting anymore, Just post your pics directly to the Hamb, It is easy and free....

barrnone50, Tim, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I never understood the third party host/image hostages and never used them. Photo bucket was always a pain in the ass to look at other peoples images on for me..

62rebel likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Wish we could get everybody here to dump them like a bad habit!!.....

11. 1ton

1ton

It really sucks that photobucket has done this to it's users. But it is a problem for all of us. Sure, we would love to see your pictures. It's just that a fuzzy image with the pb watermark on it is not a picture.

12. I dumped em...

Deuces likes this.
  13. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I fell into their trap many years ago when it was free. Made it easy to post on the net. I have over 900 pic there that they have made virtually impossible to delete, so screw them!

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello to all...

There must be a way to pay the $4.99 per month to get access to those non watermarked photos they have stored for all of those using the service. Once the photos are available without the watermarks, copy and save them to your own external hard drives. If it does not allow you to copy, take a screen shot of each photo without the water mark. (the site says $4.99 per month without water marks) You might lose a little resolution, but at least you have a copy you can work with on your own computer.

The problem might be that you will not be able to copy all photos and transfer at one time. You might have to individually copy and transfer each photo. So, are your own photos worth it...yes, definitely. Are your copied photos off of the internet worth it? Not for the time it will take to preserve something that is always on the internet searches anytime of the day.

Those services were exciting as your own home computer stayed relatively empty or at least less than half full. But, you get what you pay for allowing others to handle and store your stuff. For us, it just seemed easier to scan our old family/extended family photos and save them on our own hard drives, now SSD drives. But, the excitement of someone else storing the numerous photos was tempting.

We did not fall for that and looked into a giant NAS system. But, who was going to carry that big NAS system out of the house in an emergency? The wife, kid/granddaughter and dog was plenty to worry about, let alone a big NAS storage system. So the advent of bookshelf external moving hard drives took over. They were easily put into carry bags for a "Go Bag" in case of an emergency. Now, the larger in a storage size, (we are talking terrabytes) but smaller physical size SSD drives, fit in jacket pockets or easily in any "Go Bag."

The one thing Apple phone users have is the power and enormous functions of the big phone/computer company having storage in "the cloud." Yes, it is another company, but Apple seems pretty secure at this time. Automatic storage from your phones to "the cloud" allow tons of people to store those photos, but who looks at 40000 photos? Why save all of them? So, for our son's family, "cloud" storage eases the time it takes to back up to any of their own SSD drives just sitting on their desks. Sometimes convenience surpasses the effort to do your own thing for the same results.

Jnaki

My wife and I are organized people and our lives reflect that organization. So, we apply it to our computer usage and storage. What is important to store and save for future generations? Our own ability to organize/store stuff is how we function and not rely on an external company. No lock outs or rescuing photos or have our own original photos blasted with watermarks under siege.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For my part changing the rules retroactively, ex post facto is just dirty pool. Whatever they wanted to do to change the "terms and conditions" going forward is OK, but way they did this, just makes them look like total nicklefvçkérs.

Deuces likes this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Isn't this the 2nd time around they screwed the users of their "service"?
    Can't wait to see what they will come up with for the next round.
    Had I been using them after the 1st round, they would have never gotten another chance with me, but here we are, round 2 and so many are still using them. I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for people still using them. Gene