Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why aren't hot rods selling?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49' bomb!, Dec 16, 2019.

1. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Guess my last post offended people and got deleted. End of the day cars are over priced and it doesn't matter what you invested dont plan on getting it back. Also when you have to bump your ad for 5 years it may be a sign

bob b., Muttley, Saxman and 4 others like this.
  2. 5window

5window

It used to be if you didn't offend someone's politics, religion or momma, you could post almost anything. But, like everything else, the HAMB has evolved.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no one was offended except me. You posted a pic of a modern street rod with giant billet wheels

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

True dat. I can't believe some of the stuff people have told me about the junk they think is valuable.

5. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Look at the vehicles and the age of the buyers on the TV auctions., that's a clue.

haileyp1014 likes this.
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Are you saying we older guys are dumber than younger dudes without grey hair?

7. I won’t buy another one as they are a bitch to tile inspect and plate in my state.
    The F’n Commonwealth of Massatwoshits has killed them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  8. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

No - -- the younger guys want the cars from their era.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
  9. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

Keeping with the theme of this thread, I only read a couple post about the E-Pay being part of the problem. I do believe that they are part of the reason,"why aren't hot rods selling". E-Pay receives a final value, of course they would be happy to see a percentage of $100,000! Firstof all, you have many dealers listing there hot rods on there for ridiculously high prices. when a prospective buyer sees these outrageous prices they are immediately
    Figure well, i can't afford this. So that puts the market out of reach 4 most people.now someone out there is going to say,o no one's putting a gun to your head to buy it. Just walk away they say.
    But with inflated prices most people have to walk away and this is a contributing factor as to why hot rods are not selling! As I stated earlier, "I'm an open-minded person". But I see so many changes in the world going on , that it is becoming difficult to accept the way things are....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Baumi likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Just checked eBay again this evening. In the last 90 days, 2,931 1965-and-older cars and trucks have sold on eBay, and many of those are definitely hot rods. I'd say hot rods are selling.

Barn Hunter, flynbrian48 and 40FORDPU like this.
  11. That stupid "Is this still available" reply to seller comment is positioned just perfectly so you hit when you try to go to the next add after looking at one. They get accidentally sent by people who aren't interested thousands of times a day.I agree it's a PITA, but the alternative to wading through them is not advertising your car on that medium (Facebook Marketplace is notorious for this)! They also make it really hard to send a serious reply without hitting that damn automated message. I kinda actually laugh when I see someone who bans that response in their ad, because their basically saying don't be interested in my car. Best way I've found to get away from it is to open a free dedicated email account somewhere, place that email address in your ad along with directions to email it directly because you don't always receive responses from Facebook, Craigslist, etc. The dedicated email address keeps all the extra bs out of your primary account, and you can close it after the car sells so your not getting inquiries 2 years from now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

That's some good research and it sounds positive. With all the new build threads and "look what I just found" threads I'd say the hotrods are still pretty "hot". Maybe take another look at the car you're trying to sell. There's probably one factor that's the tipping point. Might be price, maybe an odd brand or mill. Price can be changed, odd brands can't, so you'll have a longer wait to find someone with similar vision. With the sales mentioned above, it looks like it's NOT the end of days. A decent car at a decent price will sell.

arkiehotrods, Squablow and 49' bomb! like this.
  13. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

I still see the same car's on here
    That haven't sold. All I see is BTT.
    So, why are cars selling elsewhere?

14. Larger audience..maybe they are only listing it on this site.
    Also, all of the other reasons still apply..too high, location, outdated, etc.
    As popular as this site is for those of us who have found it, there are still countless others who are unaware of it.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Remember that once a car sells the ad is usually deleted right away, and assuming a good deal sells quickly, mostly all you are going to see is old ads for unsold stuff. And people who bump their ads back to the top are always going to be on the first few pages, that's the point of bumping them up. That's not necessarily a good snapshot of vehicles for sale vs. vehicles sold. Also, this site only gets a tiny fraction of the traffic that a site like Facebook gets.

16. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

Facebook obviously has a much larger
    Audicance.But! I don't use that site for
    Selling. There's too people on there
    With "bad attitudes, and most don't
    Have 2 Penny's to rub together, they
    Live in a dream world".

arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. car doctor

car doctor

I've put 3 hot rods on Hamb in the last month or two and they all sold quickly. They were all reasonably priced and desirable cars.

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Over priced cars or trucks take a LOT longer to sell and lots of BTTT before the price gets adjusted accordingly. I have to chuckle when I see a car 3x its value and will use restraint on pointing out examples ..

Also many other factors as other have touched on and no need beating a dead horse.
    Please close this silly thread as the sky is not falling and get back to building . Also what the heck happened to tech week and much mor constructive.....

Hnstray, Squablow and Barn Hunter like this.
  19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I just looked at the cars you sold. Very tastefully done, well-built cars! Those kinds of cars sell quickly.

20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Sorry you think that way. I've bought and sold on FB. There are flakes, just like on any site, but I've had good luck both ways with antiques and cars.

Squablow and flynbrian48 like this.
  21. What's Facebook?

32SEDAN likes this.
  22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Whoa. "There's too [many] people on there..." Wait, what? There's your problem right there. If you ignore a venue for sales where millions of people, world wide, go to shop for hot rods, customs, cars of all kinds, because you feel it's too big an audience, and then discount this site because there are too few, too limited focus, too old, too young, too much money, too little money, then I think the problem is you. For the record, I sold my roadster from an ad here, immediately after listing it, that deal fell thru, then re-sold it to one of the half dozen guys who wanted it. Nice cars, fairly priced, will sell. Over priced, poorly built, poorly designed, poorly executed, won't, no matter where they're advertised.

Hombre, Thor1, Chili Phil and 4 others like this.
  23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well said. No whining allowed!

24. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

No one's "whinnying", just stating facts
    About "my experience with F. B. ! As
    Some one said, " close this silly thread"
    Yes, it's time to move on! This horse
    Has been beat to death....

continentaljohn likes this.
  25. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

well I think a lot off over people over price there cars not to sell them they just want to be seen you know the ones I mean

Desoto291Hemi and 49' bomb! like this.
  26. 5window

5window

Well, it seems like you've done a lot of the whining. As my dad used to say,"some people have a problem for every solution". So, knowing what you don't like, seriously: What would make you happy?

flynbrian48 likes this.
  27. 54 Merc left side.jpg I bought a car off here over a year ago,was listed for over 18 months. Owner kept dropping the price every 2 months or so, finally contacted him and offered way less than lowest asking price. He took it. Ya just gotta be @ the right place @ the right time with CASH READY. Was a smuuth deal and had the car shipped and in my shop 3 days later. He only had it advertised here on the Hamb. Sold it a week later for almost double my $$$

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yep, advertised just here can cost you money as the da34guy pointed out. Advertising just here isn't considered well advertised in my book. Reason why he was able to double his money.

he is also right, need to be at the right place at the right time and cash definitely helps. Good job 34guy.

da34guy likes this.
  29. Always helps to have 20/25 K layin around

30. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yes, cash helps. I have brought cars on bar stools while the banks were closed. Amazing you throw out a number backed up with cash right then and there that tends to tip them your way.

my brother years ago borrowed money from me on a Sunday on a vehicle that came out in the Sunday morning paper that was a great deal. guy had lots of phone calls and higher offers if he held it to Monday but we showed up Sunday with cash and it was ours or I should say his. this was back when banks weren't open on Sundays.

You just never know so it pays to have some stashed away. First one there wins. Where have I heard that before?

olscrounger likes this.