Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gns 2020 whos going? early drag display pomona jan 24

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rd martin, Dec 19, 2019.

1. finn

finn

Got reservations for a couple of nights in Diamond Bar. Far enough away that there’s no price gouging.
    This will be my first GNRS.

Hope there’s something I like. I stay away from showcars like Riddler Award winners. Prefer something I can relate to.

2. IronTrap

IronTrap

We're doing our Cali-bomb-run fun trip again this year. Fly in Tuesday evening. Visit friends Tues-Weds and slowly head north thursday. Hit the swap hard friday and saturday. Then haul ass back to Pomona for GNRS Sunday. Only way I've found to do it all. Miss some of the events Friday around SoCal but you can't do it all!

Say Hi if you see us wandering around!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

I will be there on Friday. Have to go now just to see your car rd.

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i sure hope you guys stop by for a bit!

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

who else is going?

6. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Unfortunately this will be the first missed in years. Relocated to Midwest and didn't find work fast enough to afford both going to this, or building my new garage this spring.
    I'm opting for the garage!

7. rd looking forward to seeing your car. My favorite era of Drag Racing. Stop by our booth in building 4 Burr King.

Keith

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

sure hope to meet up with ya keith!

9. toml24

toml24

Southern California places to visit, (2020 update, as of January 10th). They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show,

Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning.

Trust me; it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum,

Los Angeles County Fairplex.

1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. 91768

More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum.

610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245.

Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it.

Very close to LAX Airport.

Peterson Museum.

6060 Wilshire Blvd. 90036.

$15 entry plus $12 parking.

Autobooks-Aerobooks Bookstore.

2900 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA. 91505.

Outstanding selection of automotive and aircraft books. Closed on Sunday & Monday.

Irwindale Speedway.

500 Speedway Drive. Irwindale, CA. 91706.

Freeway off ramp is Live Oak Ave. Starting January 25, 2020, every 2-weeks on Saturday night there is “Night of Destruction” auto racing and special events, or, NASCAR short track racing with 5 different divisions on the paved ½ mile & 1/3 mile oval track. On-track autograph session and freebies at 5:45PM, racing at 7:00PM. Great entertainment. $15.00 plus $5.00 parking.

Also at Irwindale Speedway, NHRA drag racing every Thursday night starting January 11, 2020 on the 1/8 mile drag strip, starting at 5:00PM until 10:00PM. $10.00 to watch and FREE parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Mighty tasty burgers, fries, and shakes.

The Habit Burger Grill. Great burgers and the best shakes on earth!

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thank you for the update!

11. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

12. We're showing our 1939 Ford Coupe Convertible. Not sure which building our car will in, but we'll be there quite a bit over the weekend. Definitely we'll check your car out (another friend of ours will be showing the Godzilla Fuel Altered in the same building you'll be in. Good luck and have good the in sunny California. Fred

Attached Files:

13. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

My Grandson & I will be there Fri - Sun.

14. Exterminator, stop by Mackey's Hotrods vendor-booth in Bldg. 9 and say hello (if I'm not there when you stop tell Brian you're a HAMB guy lookin' for Darryl Deir)...

chryslerfan55 and exterminator like this.
  15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

16. exterminator

exterminator

Ok

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

exterminator, ya better stop and see me to! building 6 72977913_2542730932451474_727329810811977728_nbantum museum.jpg

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Anybody coming into town early, like this weekend, looking for something to do, my band will be playing a a show at a nice venue in Brea, not a dive bar (while I don't have anything against dive bar's, this just isn't one) A place you could comfortably bring the wife & kids, called Copper Blues. It's connected with the Improv, so you could catch a comedy show too if you'd like. We play 6 - 9 this Sunday, Jan 19. It's a killer band, I guarantee you will have a great time, or your money back! :D

Brea is about a 15 - 20 mile drive south of the fair grounds on Hwy 57.

19. ^^^Is the band called Copper Blue, or the club?

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The club, Copper Blues, in downtown Brea, Ca.

21. And, the band name?

22. Yes, Algoma56, It's all part of the same show and I think there are about 8 large buildings with different types or classes of cars & hotrods & displays, there are outside vendors and cars being displayed, covering an all-inclusive very large campus, but to answer your question YES, you're friends roadster is part of the same show... I'm 71 and have been on oxygen for the last 4 years so I usually rent an electric scooter every year for at least 2 days and usually attend every day of the show (if anybody would like the phone # to reserve a scooter ($60 ea. day) message me (or text me (714) 720-2205 Darryl Deir), ALSO: There are a few near-by Speed-Shops and Builders inviting everybody going to the GNRS for their all-day "Open House", "Walden Speed Shop & Luckys Speed Equipment" (Jan. 24th 6 pm-2 pm) 1040 Price Ave. Pomona, Ca. 91767... These guys really lay out the red carpet for us... Another one of these is at "Stokers Hot Rod Factory" on Thursday, January 23rd, from 8 am to 5 pm... Also, if anybody is interested: SEMA Hot Rod Industry Alliance (HRIA open meeting) at the Sheraton Fairplex Hotel & Conference Center... Also, I have a personal friend who has a vendor booth in bldg. 9 for his "Mackey's Hotrods" in Huntington Beach (my hometown) bringing a '58 Impala with a bitchen "Larry Watson" style paint-job... one last thing I would like to mention... It sure would be nice to have some kind of "Meet-and-Greet at GNRS this year, I don't know how to arrange this but if you guys would like to come by my buddies booth in bldg. 9 "Mackey's Hotrods" we can try and figure something out unless somebody has another Idea... If any of you guys have any more questions or need more info please feel free to call or text me, or e-mail [email protected] ... I'm looking forward and hoping to meet a few of our HAMBers...

chryslerfan55 and Greg Stokes like this.
  23. exterminator

exterminator

24. GNRS bound - please see Tania or me at the show for GMS apparel.

We are delighted to have a new shirt design thanks to John Sticha and his father LJ from 32percenter.com. This new design honours the all new and under construction Brookville bodied full fendered GMS roadster. Prices are in USD - men’s T shirts or ladies v-neck $20 each (NZD$30) - men’s or ladies long sleeve shirts $35 each (NZD$45) and unisex zip up hoodies are $50 each (NZD$65). Note these are all in US dollars - please PM me for PayPal and shipping info.

IMG_9226.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. So we will be able to buy these shirts at GNRS?

Phil

26. Yes if you see me or Tania we will be walking around the show with them

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. Bill,
    hey Bill, I enjoy meeting other HAMBers, if you feel like it & have time (714) 720-2205 Darryl... I'll be there Friday & Saturday or come on by Bldg. 9 my very good friend has a vendor booth this year "Mackey's Hotrods" he'll be showing off his '58 Impala and he's very proud of its "Larry Watson" style paint job...

28. Hey Blues4U, I'll be there both Fri. & Sat., would like to get at least a few of us HAMBers together at GNRS for meet-up come over to Bldg. 9 "Mackey's Hotrods" we'll have a '58 Impala with "Larry Watson" paint job or (714)720-2205 if I'm not in the Vendor booth when you stop by...

Blues4U and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Can't remember Hotel name, but if you go to my FaceBook page (same name) there is a post about that hotel that is almost on the Fairgrounds where the GNRS is, there is also an event there for SEMA at the same time... Might be a little pricy but very convenient if yer goin' to GNRS... If you make it, come on over to Bldg. 9 vendor booth "Mackey's Hotrods" and say hello or (714) 720-2205...

30. Hey man, if you make it there, come on over to Bldg. 9 vendor booth "Mackey's Hotrods" ask for Darryl (or, if I'm not there) (714) 720-2205, it sounds like quite a few of us HAMBers will be able to meet-up..