Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone running a solid lifter cam on the street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pbr40, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Jakes38

Jakes38

Why? 3000 is barely waking up for a Y-Block...
    In reference to the OP, When I'm not out of the country for 10 weeks at a time, my 55 is pretty much my daily, and it ticks over without any issue at all. Use good oil and keep a good ear out, no problemo.

Sent from my Infinix X626 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy, guthriesmith and pbr40 like this.
  2. Lol...well, my y-block has right at 100k miles on it and has never been gone through...so I probably baby it some to keep limping it along. But, I also don’t have a tach, so am likely winding it beyond 3000 or so too. :D

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. Jakes38

Jakes38

Just pokin' fun. I limped a 272 for quite a while in my car until it gave up the ghost. I couldn't tell you how many miles were actually on it. I had a 292 built by Tim McMaster a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier! (Unless maybe I built another one, a real screamer, Haha!) I run a tach and it definitely helps get feel for where your engine seems happiest.

Sent from my Infinix X626 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, mgtstumpy and guthriesmith like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first engine I built for the 38 Chevy (a 350SBC) had a cam of unknown origins but was supposedly a solid lifter cam, I used solids and drove it everyday, the only time that I remember setting the lash was when I replaced a cracked head:( That was in the early 80's, and for awhile it was the only car I owned, with a 780 CFM Holley and no choke it ran great in the winter too, pushing snow drifts with the front license plate:) I'm old now so I don't want to have to set lifters.

loudbang likes this.
  5. rudestude

rudestude

If you have to ask , don't try it chances are you won't like it ...just saying.
    But the sound of a nice sbc with solid lifters hitting around 7200 R.P.M's as you grab gears ....priceless.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In 1974 while in auto tech. I had a 65 Malibu bracket racer with a 12.5/1 355/Super T-10.
    It had a General Kinetics (remember them) solid cam, decided school should hold sway over the car so pulled the engine and sold the car.
    My daily driver was a 65 ElCamino, original 327/4 speed, the 327 was pulled for the winter, saving money for the rebuild so put the 355 in the Elky, boy the powerband of that engine was not very compatible with driving in the snow.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  7. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I've run multiple solids over the years, love the way they sound and pull at the upper end when everything is set up right. My experience has been that once the engine is broken in, it shouldn't need adjustment. If it does, parts are wearing unreasonably fast. There may be a .001 difference from the last time it was checked, but that could very well be just a small difference in engine temp. I've run both Crower and Comp cams, Isky and Lunati both have good grinds as well.

Devin

loudbang, Hombre and pbr40 like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

I ran a Comp 260S in the 327 in my 29 pu for years. Castrol oil, very seldom needed any adjustments after the initial break in. Loved the way it sounded and ran. I put the same cam in my roadster. I had a big Isky in the BBC in my Stude pu, that one really thumped and ran good.
    I’ve had good luck with solid lifter cams and all of those cars were driven almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. jaracer

jaracer

Ford Y blocks, slant 6 Mopars, Chevy 6's of the early 50's, and others had solid lifters. I currently have a Y block that I've owned for 24 years and I adjust the valves maybe every 3 or 4 years if I think about it. I worked in a Dodge dealership and the slant 6's called for a valve adjustment every 36K miles. Some really did need a valve adjustment at that mileage, but most didn't.

loudbang and pbr40 like this.
  10. My O/T Daily has solids, and according to the owners manual it doesn’t require adjustments until 100,000 miles. 30,000 so far and they are quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pbr40 likes this.
  11. Truckedup

Truckedup

The OP doesn't state what type of solid cam....There's a world of difference between some lazy ass cam on a vintage engine that barely opens the valves .400 and an aggressive grind with a .575 lift and 350 pounds or more of open spring pressure..Depending on how you drive and maintain the engine will decide what's a good cam for you...

LAROKE likes this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

Tony, the cam and lifters you put in the truck 80,000 miles ago are still looking good. I'll have some pictures when I pull the block out for cleaning. The head is finished, Marvel Mystery Oil misted and Seran wrapped for future reassembly.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Cam tech' & choice has changed dramatically since '90 ... but I ran the off road 2nd generation Z28 cam in my 13:1 366 SBC. 1971 technology, with modern roller rockers, & valvetrain girdles. Pretty fun choice with an aluminum flywheel.

M22 4 speed, 4:56 gears ... later a Doug Nash 5 & 3:08's instead.

Valvoline 20-50 then. Adjusted twice in 5000 miles.

I'd build it completely different today, if ground up .. . though. Better choices, but not what you asked.

loudbang and pbr40 like this.
  14. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I guess I didn’t really Specify because I was looking to see what everyone had to say. I understand that every motor is different but if I was building a race bullet I would not be asking advice I’d take it to someone. (No offense to anyone here)

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  15. Truckedup

Truckedup

Larry, the cam is a regrind on a NOS GMC cam done by the now closed Lazer Cams...

LAROKE likes this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

I hear arguments both ways but if I was going solids I would go with direct lube lifters.

Montana1 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  17. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I run a Isky solid with direct lube lifters in my 32. With good valvetrain parts, I only adjust them when I feel sorry for it. They never move.
    Video of it running: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0cNMN5HOW3/

327-365hp and pbr40 like this.
  18. Dennis D

Dennis D

My 365 hp 327 Corvette was a daily for me for a number of years along with an occasional trip to the drags. Like put studded snow tires on it in the winter and drive it daily. Set the valves at 28 cold instead of 30 hot. Good studs and lock nuts kept them in adjustment with no problem. Fun motors! D

loudbang, pbr40 and Elcohaulic like this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Can't wait to put a solid in my stock 1978 454 work horse.. I like smooth idling cams, 288/302 duration, with wide lobe separations.. All we have here in Pittsburgh are miles and miles of steep hills so I love torque... And I like having power brakes that work as intended. People run vacuum boosters with 10" of vacuum and then bitch about factory brakes being crap.. I never got that one.. Put 22" of vacuum to that booster and watch how well those 11" drum brakes pull that big car down from speed.....

I also love the sound of a smooth idle thru a nice pair of Porters, Hemi Turbos or any high quality pack style muffler..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  20. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Whatcha got for a power plant?

21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was debating the same thing with a 302 ford. there are "copies" of the old '60s "271-horse" cam on the market, but most cams are for track use and make power way up at the top end.

Elcohaulic and pbr40 like this.
  22. dan31

dan31

The bigger question is how much spring pressure & lift before you start getting into a little more maintenance. Lots of mild solids running around.

Elcohaulic and pbr40 like this.
  23. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

That is a good question!

loudbang likes this.
  24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

327 with a DZ302 flat tappet cam in my '31 A that also has a 5 speed. It has polylocks. I've got around 17K miles on it now and no adjustment necessary. I seem to have no self control when driving this and have to mess with the chipped up diesel pick-up trucks routinely so it gets reved pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate

guthriesmith, loudbang and pbr40 like this.
  25. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I've run solid lifters in both a SBC and a BBC. I'd run the valves every month or so and never had any trouble. The thing I always watch for was the clearance tightening up. That means the valve is moving outboard. If the clearance goes away you start burning valves. But both of my engines would pull like gangbusters!

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may have had a cam in my 283 that was so worn that it wouldn't stay adjusted. Or the rocker nuts were so bad that they wouldn't stay tight. That was when I put a used 30-30 Duntov in my T bucket and then pulled it out of the T and put the engine in my 48. Looking back I'd have to say it probably wasn't the cam and lifters that were the real issue.
    I've had several other rigs over the past 55 + years with factory solid lifters that never needed adjusting except as someone mentioned being checked on a serous tuneup.

pbr40 likes this.
  27. vinfab

vinfab

My someday it will be done enough to race, street car is a 56 Handyman wagon with a 57 283 in it. The cam is a Crower solid flat tappet. The specs are .525/.543 254/262 @.050 and 105 CL. The car has a wide ratio Muncie and 4.88 gears. The 283 has screw in studs and poly locks. I use Joe Gibbs oil and put about 2500 miles a year on the car. When I get the car out in the spring, I service it and run the valves, but they really don't need to be adjusted. ph3 005.jpg

28. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I'm very old school. Love the sound of solids. I have vivid memories of hearing my first Chevy 30-30 365 horse in a red 64 Corvette coupe.

Elcohaulic, dan c, pbr40 and 3 others like this.
  29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

how much valve spring pressure do you have?