Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 394 Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, Jan 6, 2020.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

Just installed a new fuel pump, and having some issues. Before into what’s going on, can someone simply tell me which is the inlet line one the attached photo? I 100% recognize this seems like a simple and dumb question. But we’ve all been there when chasing demons, you second guess and question everything you do!

A is on the outside of the fuel filter bowl housing
    B is on top of the bowl
    C side of the “pump” side

.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. papajohn

papajohn

Not sure what your problem is, but I seem to remember putting a new pump on my 394 and not getting good pressure. I think the problem was the arm was different and didn't activate off the cam lobe proper. You couldn't see it till you held the two pumps next to each other.. maybe one was for a later block (63-64) and I had a 60.

3. The inlet to the filter is A
    As it has been a long time since I owned a 394, (55 years), I don't remember the exact plumbing for the pump. I can't see the other access point on the actual pump, but it will be easy to confirm which side is the inlet.
    Mount the pump in a vise and block one of the holes on the pump body and then activate the plunger.
    If you feel a suction, that is the inlet side.
    If you feel pressure when the lever is actuated, then that is the outlet.
    Bob

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. cmarcus

cmarcus

Are you saying the inlet from the tank into the fuel pump is A?

5. cmarcus

cmarcus

What's happening is that it seems almost like it is starved for fuel, gasping, lurching. But I have nearly a half tank of gas. I literally just got the car, drove it 200 miles from Iowa to Chicago suburbs, and it ran like a top. But when I was looking it over after that run, I noticed the leaky fuel pump. So ordered a new one, direct swap out and in. Only other thought is maybe knock some old junk loose in the process that could have gotten into bowl and blocking the jets.

6. I don't remember the plumbing arrangement, but it would make sense to me that the filter is between the outlet of the pump and the carb.
    You could have rust in the tank that has moved to the pickup and is blocking it. If you disconnect the hose from the tank to the pump, you can remove the cap from the tank, and blow air back into the tank to clear the rust from the pickup screen.
    If you are in an emergency situation, you can use some magnetic sheets attached to the tank to prevent the rust from migrating back. The only long term solution, is to remove the tank and have it cleaned.
    Bob