Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical any experience with Pertronix Flamethrower distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce666, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Here, I'll throw out something new. Do you know on a windy day when parked and motor off an Electric Fan can cause you problems if you don't have a directional diod in the feed line? Anytime the Fan turns on it's own it's making power. If the Fan power wire is connected direct to the ign terminal of your switch that power will go direct to your dist. If you have a points dist and the points are making contact with motor off that power can take out the points. If you have Pertronix it too can have an issue same as key on and not running.

Stogy, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  2. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Great insights!! Nothing like the voices of experience. Thank you all and happy Holidays!!

Stogy and wraymen like this.
  3. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I'd upgrade to a HEI conversion by Bubba's GMC - longer spark (more amperage). Otherwise, just stick with a Pertronx in a GOOD used stock or rebuilt housing. Bullit units are just eyewash for more dough, IMO.

Stogy likes this.
  4. The OP is looking for something smaller/thinner because of clearance issues.
    deuce666: I'm not sure the Pertronix distributor will be much different. The Mallory (with the igniter) suggested earlier might be work if you can borrow a core to try. By the way I like the Gold.

Stogy likes this.
  5. X-cpe

X-cpe

By "hips "are you referring to the bumps for the hold down clips. If that is the case then follow brigrat's advice. On my tri-power, with 2GC's, it was the edges of the window for point adjustment that was hitting. I filed a notch 180* opposite in the housing and put the cap on backwards. Just have to set the points with a feeler gauge.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  6. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Wraymen & X-cpe --
    Since the last post, I went and examined the stock style Pertronix at a local parts store. Same problem as the current stock unit - the two bumps for the hold down L-clips get in the way of the distributor.

The clearance impact is 7/8", so I'm looking into 1" aluminum spacers with 1/4" phenolic spacers on top to get clearance. Lots of doo-dads I would just as soon not use, but I think it might work.

I did NOT think about the idea of notching the distributor cap to put it in backwards, but that's the most elegant solution I've heard.

Great tips, thanks again!! Happy Holidays to all the HAMBERS!!

Stogy likes this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

Unfortunately filing a notch isn't going to solve your problem. Before going to the expense of spacers, try brigrats solution. I would imagine the two things limiting the rotation of your distributer are the bump for the hold down clip on the front side of the distributor and the vacuum advance on the other side. Rotate the engine until the timing marker is at TDC for number one. Then rotate it to your timing setting. Take the cap off of your distributor, rotate it to the limits of its rotation and mark on housing where the rotor is pointing at each limit. Put the cap back on and find the terminal that is between the limits of distributor rotation and will give you the most room for counterclockwise rotation. That's your new number one.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Never thought of that! I can see how that would be but I would think if you use a relay to power the fan any current coming from the little "windmill" behind the grill would be blocked from the rest of the wireing.

Stogy likes this.
  9. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Special thanks to stogy, glrbird and brigrat for their suggestions re: re-clocking the distributor.

The final solution was a combo of a 1/4" phenolic spacer, moving the distributor one tooth counter-clockwise, repositioning the #1 plug wire on the cap, and some trimming on the distributor cap and a NPT plug in the rear dumper.

It's tight but it allowed me to set the timing.

Thanks again everyone!! Love the collective wisdom of the HAMB!!

Stogy and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

I bought a 1967 F350 with 352 it was low miles less than 40,000 in 1990 installed a Pertronix I in it after 150,000 miles It is still on it's second set of sparkplugs. I am sold.

Stogy likes this.