Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone running a solid lifter cam on the street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pbr40, Jan 6, 2020.

1. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

As the title suggests. I’m not looking for opinions everyone has one. I want to hear for guys or gals that actually drive their hot rod (not cruise night cars either) with a solid cam in it. Just curious on intervals on valve adjustment, cam life(newer oils) brand of cam and lifters. Things of that nature. Thanks in advance!

2. I used to always run one in a car that was initially more for racing and around town driving but turned into something that I also drove long distances at times. When I initially installed the cam that was in the .550ish advertised lift range, it seemed I had to adjust it somewhat regularly. However, that was also the time that I raced it more. Once it became more of a driver, it seemed I could check valve adjustment every now and then, but it never really changed much. This was in a 3300 lb car that had a 3500 stall and 4.10 gears. Oh, and it was a small block Chevy. I once drove it on about a 600 mile drive on the highway at around 4,000 rpms all the way and the valves didn't go out of adjustment during that trip. I can't speak to the effect of newer oils though since this has been about 15 years ago. The specific brand cam mentioned here was s Schneider, but I have also run Lunati and Crane solids on the street similarly.

I will say that I was considering putting a solid cam in an engine for my kids project that we are currently working on that will be his daily driver. However, I think I will actually go hydraulic just for overall less maintenance for now.

3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've had several flatheads. never readjusted any of them!

wheeldog57 and pbr40 like this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

I put seventy thou on my 37' Chevy pickup powered by a Jimmy 302 with solid lifters. It was my daily driver for a lot of that time. Took it off the road at eighty thou miles with a blown head gasket. The 3/4 street cam and solid lifters are still good. Oil during that entire time was Valvoline VR1 20W50 racing oil and it was changed at 2,000 mile intervals. Valve adjustments were made at the same time.

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have solid cam in my winter beater, in my daily 55 chevy 235 and in my 34 with a 312 Y block- never had a problem. I used to check lash at every oilchange but the lash never changed, so I went to every second oil change intervals.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and pbr40 like this.
  6. Phil, my old red vette had solids. I used poly locks and every time I checked they where fine. Personally I wouldn’t hesitate to run solids.

7. I have run them on the street in a car ands currently run them in my bike.

Once things have worn in you shouldn't need to adjust them more often than you change plugs. A lot depends on how hard to drive it I suppose. On a street strip vehicle I would give them a check before going to the track but you will probably find that they are fine.

8. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

That’s some good info! I am building a 327 for my 53 chev. I have a 5speed behind it. Just getting some info. Put some of the myths to bed! Thanks

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

The change interval and the lash is what I was wondering about. Thanks

LAROKE likes this.
  10. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

that car ran good! Thanks Scotty T

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

One question for you. The purpose of a solid lifter cam is for better operation at the upper rpm levels of engine operation where valve float used to be a problem. They really don't offer an advantage at low, medium and even reasonable high rpm ranges. Also, the hydraulic lifters and springs available today offer really good control of the valve train. That being said, what do you hope to gain from using a solid lifter cam in a daily driver ?

12. I guess I failed to mention that I have also put about 15k miles on the 292 in my 56 with solid lifters and have never adjusted anything either...but it is also a slug and rarely sees rpm over about 3,000.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Very valid question. I mainly ran a solid to have better control over valve float at high rpm and to be able to run a higher lift cam without having to necessarily go roller. But, for a daily, probably don't need as much lift anyway.

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Question. Are you actually going to run one? Or are you just wanting to put the myths to bed. Lippy

15. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I have a pristine 67 Dodge Dart with a 273. It has 70,000 miles and the valve covers had never been off till I replaced the valve cover gaskets a couple years ago. It's so quiet you would never know it has a solid cam in it.

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

I followed 2,000 miles or six months for both, which ever came first.

pbr40 likes this.
  17. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With either pinned or screwed in studs, and polylocks, solid lifters are pretty stable. Do they need periodic adjustments, yes. How often is in direct proportion to how often you buzz the RPMs up there.

INVISIBLEKID and pbr40 like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just do an online search for more detailed info on differences in cams - there are a ton of variables to consider - have a older motor with solids should be checked now and then (Once a year?) - do an initial check and 5K miles down the road just to verify OK - solid lifters will make noise, don't let it scare you - if building a motor with all new current products likely will never really need adjustment - but, anything can go wrong with even the big bucks build motors - if lifters need constant adjustments need to stop and check for what is failing, not normal - had a '54 Ford PU with a 283 running the infamous Vette solid 30-30 - responded, and sounded, great - a pair of worn glass packs added to the thrill

Speedys Garage and loudbang like this.
  19. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I am looking to run a solid but I’m trying I make a educated decisions.

loudbang and Frankie47 like this.
  20. Phil the red Vette had a REAL 365hp 327, which I believe is nearly identical to 350 hp we've talked about except for the cam. The L79 cam has more power at lower rpm than the L76. And that's why I want to go with the L79 this time around.

21. Yo PBR I'll send an article later about cams in the old Vette engines, maybe you can decifer it better than me!

pbr40 likes this.
  22. earlymopar

earlymopar

I run my factory 65' Dodge solid lifter camshaft. Much better performance than a hydraulic and the adjustments are nothing to fret over.

- EM

loudbang, scotty t and pbr40 like this.
  23. over 50k on my Stude V8 with Solid Lifters. After everything was broken in I didn't need to adjust the lifters at all.
    I recently went through the motor again and put in another R2+ cam, it has about 2k on it so I will probably check the lash when I change the oil, otherwise it is not ticking so it's probably fine.

loudbang and pbr40 like this.
  24. I run 2 hot rods with the .030-.030 cam (a 327 and a 302), and a 286 flathead with adjustable lifters.......zero issues with any. The SBCs have pinned rocker studs......rarely ever go out of adjustment. Maybe I'm just old school and rather use solids than hydraulics....... The 302 SBC will spin up faster with much higher RPM than hydraulics would allow.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never ran a solid cam in a Hot Rod, but had one in an OT car. love the sound uncorked.

it was in the 80's. I must have adjusted them but have no memory of it

26. ran em in a 223 and 235s for years
    folks have adjust those?

27. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I just sold my ol 59, Studebaker, 2dr wagon. ALL Studebakers came with solid lifters.
    I put just over 93,000 on it since 2000.
    I used Castrol GTX 20-50 exclusively, changed it at about 3000mi., because the engine had no oil filter.

The valves were checked/adjusted at 2000/2500 miles. Because of not having hard seats, the exhaust valves needed adjusting three times for every one time the intake needed adjusting.

The car I'm working on now, also has solid lifters. In not concerned.

Mike

Desoto291Hemi and pbr40 like this.
  28. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

your sbc’s what kind of trans are you running?

29. M-21 trans (2.20 1st gear)

Desoto291Hemi and pbr40 like this.
  30. Fogger

Fogger

I run a '57 283 in my '55 Delray. 9 1/2 to 1 compression, studs and full roller rockers and a NOS 097 Duntov camshaft. With a 3.26 1st gear in the Richmond 5-speed and a 3.08 rear axle it's been a great combination. Decent gas mileage and I was very careful when I degreed the cam to factory specs. Factory specs state .012 intake and .018 exhaust on the rockers. I set them at .010 and .016. Pulls hard through all gears.