Register now to get rid of these ads!

The State Of Things in 2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The State Of Things in 2020

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

63fdsnr, wicarnut, catdad49 and 10 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Thoughts and prayers out to your Mom for a speedy and complete recovery.

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

We had the pole in front of our house struck when I was a kid. It shot streaks of fire out and lit the line from the pole to the house up until it melted and fell off.

Sucks about the computer stuff.

osage orange likes this.

5. Mart

Mart

Best wishes to Mom for a speedy recovery. But Wow! It's a warning to all to not have all your eggs in one basket. Hope you can steer through ok.
    Mart.

NoSurf and osage orange like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

She had a rough weekend after getting back from NYC, but she's turning a corner I think. Man, she's tough... And yeah, she was obviously our priority through all of this. 1s and 0s aren't shit without a mom.

OG lil E, Dan Hay, wicarnut and 18 others like this.
  7. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

Keep on Keepin' on Ryan !

osage orange likes this.
  8. When it rains, it pours. Literally. Best of luck in the new year!

osage orange likes this.
  9. Best wishes for your mom. Law of averages, you're on the upswing.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

God bless best 2020

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Mom is definitely a woman I would pray for. Without her, we wouldn't have you.

osage orange, mad mikey and Petejoe like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My backup process is insane... and I've been called insane for the precautions I take... but the one thing this all proved (at a very high cost) was that I was RIGHT.

In any case, here's a break down of how it all went down:

1. I have one 5k iMac and one trash can Mac Pro that makes up the machine base of my studio. This is the sexy part of the operation. Both machines worked (although with some hiccups) for about a month after the strike.

2. Attached to these machines is around 75 Terrabytes of drives that hold my digital life from the beginning of jalopyjournal.com until now. This isn't the website... All of that stuff is safe on multiple servers. This is the data and code I use to build/maintain the site, but more importantly, it's my archive of photos and videos - the most important digital asset that I own.

Every single one of these drives crashed. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

3. All of these drives are backed up to a NAS system on my studio network. This system was fried and I don't know if the drives are crashed or not yet, but I am assuming they are. I'll know once I replace the NAS and fire it all up.

4. I backup everything on the NAS every night to a server located off site. This is the stuff that saved me. It costs me like $10 a month or something and it literally saved me.

I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy.

raven, HunterYJ, Dan Hay and 19 others like this.
  13. I can sympathies with you boss, although on a much smaller scale, about 8 years ago the transformer in out back yard took a direct hit and blew up, we lost everything that had a power cord, even the surge protectors for the computer & television were toast.

At least the crapper wasn't running over at the same time.:rolleyes:

I hope your mom heals up soon and life gets back to some semblance of normalcy. HRP

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a horrible month you've had. Glad to hear you haven't quit on us yet and a have plan to be back together.
    I guess we are lucky the forum is even up.
    I sure hope your mom heals soon.
    May 2020 be a good year for all of us.

osage orange and mad mikey like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Holy crap! Wow, what a miserable experience. Sure puts the little grease rag fire into perspective. That potentially could have been really bad, but thankfully wasn't. This, wow, what a nightmare. Best wishes getting it all back together Ryan, and best wishes for your mom's full recovery.

16. Your life sounds similar to mine in the past several months Ryan. I am just trusting that all the trials I have been through in recent times are for my good and as long as I am learning from them along the way, I will come out growing from the experiences in the long run. Otherwise, it is easy to just feel defeated by it all...

Praying for your mom as well as you all to get through it all. It can be tough at times, but speaking for myself, I have grown more in the tough times than when everything was going good and things were easy.

osage orange likes this.
  17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You're not crazy.

We have a similar backup process here at work, and *still* managed to lose out photo backup recently through a series of fumbles that are worthy of a movie script.

I'm sorry about your mom, and glad she is on the mend.

osage orange likes this.
  18. trollst

trollst

Yeah, we had the year from hell last year too, happy new year guys and girls.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's a backup.....I thought it was something you do to get the car out of the garage to step on the brakes and self adjust the rear drums......to quote Humphrey Bogart..." I must be misinformed".

osage orange and guthriesmith like this.
  20. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Wow Ryan! Hope everything gets better from here on and hope Mom gets to feeling well. Thanks for everything you do. Whether you realize it or not, many of us find refuge from our daily busy and hectic lives here on the HAMB. It's a place to clear our heads and read and share things with guys that relate to the insane hobby that we call "Hot Rodding". Great job and keep on truckin!

osage orange likes this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hope your Mom gets better.., Computers.... ehh..carry on.....

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Funny how when the shit hits the fan, you realize how much of your life is locked in 1s and 0s... I try to print out a few good photos of vehicles in my life 1 time a year just to get them out of the 1s and 0s and into hard print. Re reading your Post, glad Mom is ok man, and at least you got to experience a bucket list event even though things were frying all around you, and the pipes reversed flow....

Its got to get better man... Here is to a better 2020 for you sir...

Side note.... One can hope the 20s today resort back to the 20s we had back then.... suits, respect, flapper girls, actors paid less than minimum wage........

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Best wishes for your moms speedy recovery. I been there also with a lightening strike. Years ago when I had my shop on the farm we suffered a similar fate and lost everything plugged in. Burnt some of the lines off at the wall sockets, melted the plugins to the outlets. We were lucky it didn't burn the house and shop to the ground.

kidcampbell71 and osage orange like this.
  24. 392

The power of lightning is incredible. Best wishes for your mom from St. Louis.

25. Canuck

Canuck

Ryan, glad to hear that Mom is going to be OK, that is the important thing.

As far as the power strike that can get expensive in a hurry and as you are finding out can affect more than just computers. We were hit last year, luckily just blew out half a dozen surge bars, but houses around us lost all appliances in floor heating and furnaces (kind of important up here this time of year). A lot of it not replaced the same day, items and parts had to be ordered.

Looking into a solution to prevent another failure talked to friends, one retired commercial electrician and two retired electrical construction with our power provider here, no ideas there.

upload_2020-1-6_11-4-59.png

Came across this as a solution: Whole House Surge Surge Protection that is installed on you main electrical panel and protects everything running off the panel. Provided by the manufacturer of your panel. Come with instructions. Cost even here in Canada was around $100, so even if you are not comfortable working inside your electrical panel with a electrician installing should be around $200. They are a one-hit item, one hit and they have to be replaced, but as you are finding out and anyone who has gone thru this the cost of replacing all the electrical equipment that can be blown is a lot more. Check them out at home centers or electrical suppliers in your area.

A lot of people are not even aware that devices like this are available. A lot of the new panels that are being made now have them installed right from the factory.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I had felt a disturbance in the force. This explains a few things.

glad your family all made it home in one piece and I’m glad you’re as neurotic as you are.

thanks for the update. Let us know if we can do anything

27. patterg2003

patterg2003

That is a heck of a way to end a year. I hope your Mom mends quick. Your back up to the back to the back up . . . . . was good planning. I wish you and your family a very very Happy and Healthy 2020.

osage orange likes this.
  28. Ziggster

Ziggster

Sounds brutal. Glad to hear that your mom is on the mend. My brother-in-law works in IT for the Federal Government, and works on their back-up servers for parliament. I think they have 3 layers of backup, and they are now talking about migrating everything to the "cloud". He's not so convinced of the benefits vs risks - but "everyone" is doing it. I like Canuck's suggestion.

29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't let it get to you Ryan! Lightening can be a frightening thing. I was at work one day and we have a 175 foot communications tower next to the office. I was walking past our electrical room when the tower got hit with a bolt of lightening! A blast of electricity shot out of a steel door casing next to my head as I was walking past! Sounded like someone fired off a shotgun next to my head! Scared me half to death! Guy walking behind me dove on the floor! He thought I got hit by it as he saw the blue shoot out. Hang in there and I hope your mom heals up ok. My mom is elderly and I am going through some similar stuff with her.

Spoggie and osage orange like this.
  30. OW, what a pain! Ain't the world grand now that "print" is dead? ;-)

Spoggie and alanp561 like this.