Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gasser,wavy dodge axle what about this combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rust, Jan 5, 2020.

1. hot rust

hot rust

just curious i ran across a dodge wavy axle and i thought about using it under a chevy II gasser project. any thoughts or info on this combo, totally wrong or cool thanks hot rust

2. I used one under a Jeep pu. Width was correct. Once upon a time someone here said early Ford spindles would fit but I have no first hand info on that. 49jeep_pu.jpg

3. alchemy

alchemy

The axle can be machined for the Ford spindles to work, but they don't just slip on.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

well i am using one on an altered i am building. but i made it a tranverse setup. stock they are twin leaf but you know that. the only thing to note is the spring location may not match the Chevy II frame rails. above all that, why do you want to use ford spindles?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't understand why guys think they need Ford spindles on these. The Dodge had Hydraulic brakes in 36 Not the best hydraulic brakes but they used those same brakes up into the mid 50's.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Because the ford brake parts are much more common and less expensive, I used the mopar spindles and brakes on one but modified the backing plates to use ford wheel cylinders. They’re about a quarter the price of mopar ones.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I used one on my modified years and years ago. Was fairly easy to use the ford spindles as I recall. I know I had to mill a new flat spot on the spindle so I could use the Dodge locking bolt. Other than that I think it was just a ream on the axle king pin hole.

8. hot rust

hot rust

so you guys don't think it will look out of place on a 64 nova? what i was in mind of was that people utilized what they had to build stuff back then and i thought this might have actually been used back in the day. and at the end of the day just looking for something different.

9. hot rust

hot rust

if necessary i can move the spring seats to adjust for frame width but probably not going to be a factor as i'm building a tube chassis. as far as spindles never said i wanted ford spindles but after research they may be the easiest and cheapest, i will use disc brakes on front and several companies offer disc kits for the fords.

10. I have not one one but BenD was or is running a wavy axle with Ford Spindles on his telephone booth T pickup. He told me that all you have to do is real the king pin bungs to fit the ford king pins.

I would say that the wavy axle would not be a good fit with the later Chebby body. But I have been around enough real gassers to know that it would be just fine. Maybe not as acceptable in our modern world but it was probably most definitely done at one time or another.

11. glrbird

glrbird

I always think of a drilled I beam or straight for gassers, but a wavey could be cool.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Why would you wreck a rare axle for a Chevy gasser?

You can buy a cheap aftermarket straight axle that is a bolt in with all the parts figured out already. Lightweight brakes and all the good race parts should be easy.

It's not cool, it just seems dumb.

13. alchemy

alchemy

They aren’t rare axles. I’ve got three in the garage.

14. I have had a few since I joined the HAMB. They are not as easy to find a Super Bell Axles but they are way easier to own that a V8 60 axle.