Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Tudor - Bonnie

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fairlane500, Aug 14, 2018.

1. LOCKHEED JUICE BRAKES - Been awhile since last post but been busy on other projects, got some garage time over the last couple of days and cleaned and painted up the brake hardware and assembled the backing plates with all new wheel cylinders, springs and linings. Had to replace the Bendix on the starter as the collar was cracked on the old one. Get that back on tomorrow.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. Brings back fond memories of my grandmother's '34; dirty gray, red wires and she drove the wheels off of it in Laguna Beach, Ca. in the '40s and '50s. She new every short cut and side street and alley and used all of them getting to the market with me as a passenger. Great times.

chryslerfan55, flyin-t, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome car. And you're just making it way more betterer.
    Your dad's brakes stopping you.
    Cool.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fairlane500 and loudbang like this.
  4. 1939 TRANSMISSION - Pulled the inventory of my best 39/48 transmission parts today, besides clutch shaft bearings I might have enough to assemble. Strip and clean the gearset and see what we have to work with tomorrow. The case is a late 78 series that should do the trick. I drill and tap the lock pin holes to 5/16 UNC and set screw the shafts tight with the retaining pin cut down to below screw depth. The set screws holds the shafts tight against housing and never seem to leak when I have done this before

IMG_4893.JPG IMG_4894.JPG IMG_4895.JPG

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your really Giving Ole Bonnie some great Physio...;)

loudbang and Fairlane500 like this.
  6. FLATHEAD BLOCK PORTING - Dragged out the C59A whilst the transmission parts make their way down here, started cleaning up the intake ports for the rebuild, nothing too radical (at this stage anyway) just removing the casting flash and matching ports to a new intake gasket. Will post after photos when done.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. 33Doll

33Doll

I’m enjoying your thread! I have my families 33 Ford now, and going to get it going again soon. I like that set screw idea! I just sealed up the tranny put it all back together and it’s leaking out the stupid pin! My only concern is with set screws, is the shaft pushed up against the other side too much for gear lash or anything? Probably not those old tranny’s are pretty forgiving!
    Or are you just cutting the head and the end off the pin and leaving it in there and using the screws to hold it?
    I was going to use washers and O-rings and make sure the pin is tight with the keeper, and silicone the whole thing first.
    Thanks Rick

8. 33Doll

33Doll

Never mind I just saw it in your original paragraph!

9. Or are you just cutting the head and the end off the pin and leaving it in there and using the screws to hold it?

Thanks Rick[/QUOTE]

Rick the set screws hold the shafts and they kinda countersink into the pin hole, I cut the pin to length so that the screws dont bottom out on the pin first. The pin is just in there as a back up to stop the shafts spinning. I doubt they ever could though.

Enjoying your 33 Tudor thread also, Now if you find any 34 greyhounds over there..... let me know.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  10. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

sweet ford!!!! Love all the upgrades!!!

loudbang and Fairlane500 like this.
  11. FLATHEAD BLOCK PORTING - Finished roughing out the intake ports, Took out a lot of material, alot more than I was expecting to have to do, To finish it still needs a good polish with cloth wheel etc, but I will wait for the Edelbrock Slingshot to arrive before I do anymore on the intakes and match up the manifold.

Making a start on the left hand exhaust ports about 1/4 of an inch to come out and a good tidy up in the block a lot of casting flash in there.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]\
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Looking good, opening up the middle exhaust port was the most nerve racking for me. I wasn't sure how much material I could safely take out.

13. Thanks for the reply @Aaron D. , Yes its a bit nerve racking for sure, I used lots of web and published book data for reference and it is mild compared to others, Not building a salt lake record holder just a reliable street engine with a bit of extra pep. Did you relieve your emgine?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  14. FLATHEAD BLOCK PORTING -Finished the left hand exhaust ports, they match up with the header plates pretty good so pleased with the results.

IMG_5001.JPG IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5004.JPG
    [​IMG]

15. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

No, I didn't relieve it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. DRILLED LIFTER BORES - drilled these to 3/16 with a long drill bit and deburred the bores already for the Johnson adjustables from Reds.

IMG_5007.JPG IMG_5008.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5010.JPG

17. Love them two doors. Very nice '34 Fairlane My '33 in the pic below. 019.jpg

18. Thanks @timwhit I have been following your thread the 33 Tudor has come up a treat. They always look great in black!

19. CAR SHOW - So we have our largest South Island show on the third weekend of January or thereabouts each year here in Christchurch so I took the 34 Tudor along and the 30 Roadster it’s a four day camping event that attracts around 2500 entrants and 1500 vehicles from all facets of the sport. Attached some of the HAMBWORTHY vehicles
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Good pic's , Thanks

Fairlane500 and loudbang like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool pictures!
    This caught my eye
    You ever notice how this word for the WC starts with the word "toil"
    while restroom starts with the word "rest".
    Things that make go huh,
    upload_2020-1-28_20-39-24.png

22. 1934 SPINDLES : I picked up a spare set of spindles, so will clean them up and fit new bushes to them to keep the job moving without taking the car off the road yet. I don’t want the car laying around for months in the garage immobilised with this brake conversion so as much pre work as possible will help getting it done whilst I am still using it in the weekends over our Kiwi summer. IMG_5150.JPG IMG_5137.JPG

23. 1939 TRANSMISSION - The parts kit arrived for the 39 box so quick clean up and assembled the 1948 gear set with new bearings, thrusts, synchros and spacers into the 78 series case.

IMG_5229.JPG IMG_5230.JPG

24. LOCKHEED JUICEYS: Back onto the hydraulic brake conversion. Pulled the front axle and stripped it down to component level and cleaned and detailed, as luck had it the perch bolts came straight out and are in amazing condition, given this car has been garage stored since 1971 and was a daily driver prior I guess it has never laid in a field with the elements so I shouldn’t be surprised. Fitted new kingpin thrusts, cup washers and felts but otherwise a good clean a little sandblast of the small parts and lube, reassemble and paint. IMG_5860.JPG IMG_5859.JPG IMG_5906.JPG IMG_5905.JPG IMG_5912.JPG IMG_5909.JPG IMG_5914.JPG IMG_5915.JPG IMG_5916.JPG [​IMG]

25. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SUSPENSION SHACKLES: I do not have the official tool so improvise with some sockets, clean bores and parts with a little bit of grease and in they go. @Mart

Does anyone have proper tool photos?

26. FRONT AXLE: all assembled with new brakes and wheel bearings, kingpin thrusts and rebuilt tie rods, new shackles and brake hoses. I think I am in a parrellel universe with @Mart doing the same job half a world away.
    IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0041.JPG

27. 33Doll

33Doll

Love It!
    Curious though... how come you didn’t cut off the mechanical brake eyes?
    Gonna put it back to stock later?
    Or use Dogbones?
    Could cut it off here....
    IMG_9831.JPG

Mine are still there too, but Im gonna cut off the whole thing, and round it off on the spring shackle area, blend it like it never was there. Not gonna use the dog-bones either, since it has tube shocks. I want it clean-Off! and gone Like My Appendix,
    (That came out last month! Ugly protrusion)

IMG_9968.JPG IMG_9831.JPG

28. be sure to arc your new brake shoes to match drums for a great pedal & stopping power.

29. Hi there @33Doll hope you are going well have been following your 33 build posts and enjoy them a lot.

I think if I was going to cut them off I would buy speedway ones. I am going to run OG shocks with links so need that dog link attaching part. As far as cutting off the crosshaft mount I did think about it but then decided that they are in such good condition it would be sacrilege to cut them and I kinda like the ball on the kingpin and it together. Tells it’s story. New reproduction ones of these 32-34 perchs are pretty spendy

This isn’t a street rod or high end rod so I am using as much of it’s Henry Ford original parts as possible as I build it into a reliable driver/survivor.

I am keeping all the 34 mechanical stuff with the car as if I did ever move it on as unlikely as that is I would sell with it all the OG brake components

I am a big EFV8 enthusiast as well as a Traditional Hot Rod enthusiast so that might make my thought process flawed !!!

Thanks for the comment.

30. INTERESTING PIECE: I visited a friend during the week when I was out of town for work and he has a couple of killer cars and a neat collection of early Ford traditional parts.

This one took my eye and I think it is too cool not to share. It’s the sort of part I would describe as one you would build a car around.

Just a neat old home built quick change that was built here in New Zealand by a very talented individual who made his own as they would not have been obtainable / available / affordable down here at the time when it was required.

Apparently it was built for a speedway car. Anyway thought it was pretty cool.

Adjustments.JPG