Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 rambler wagon with Chevy motor and ford rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rambler man Dan, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

I'll get some more pics as well when I get the air ride installed. No one makes the brackets but being a 4 corner coil spring car it should be easy to fab all it up. Going to keep the rambler front suspension and put the air bag on top of the vertical link just like the spring.

2. farna

farna

That's basically what Greg Greganti did. See the link I posted earlier to see what he did.

3. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

Whoops must have missed that post link. Very nice Thanks frank!

4. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Lookin good Dan!

Rambler man Dan likes this.
  5. I noticed in my old Motors manuals that some cover the Rambler auto trans in the same section as 57-58 Ford auto trans, plus a couple oddball Jeep and Studebaker applications. Apparently save the pushbutton control and torque tube they're the same inside.

So presumably you might be able to play around and put a Ford motor in one, or convert the stock trans to open drive, if that does any good.

I have a '58 sedan and the unibody rails show some rot under it. I considered maybe using a 1980s Monte Carlo frame and floorpan under it; wheelbase and track are the same, would have to measure to see if the rockers would fit over the side rails. But it's hard to find one of those up here that's not also rotted out. So it sits. If you grafted a '57 Buick/Olds top onto it, the whole look of the car changes.

6. I am GLAD you got rid of the torque line drive.I love the old Buicks but hated that sealed drive shaft. Bruce. 1956 buick special station wagon 004.jpg

7. farna

farna

In the lat 40s Studebaker in partnership with Borg-Warner (the Detroit Gear division of Borg-Warner) developed an automatic transmission to compete with the Hydramatic. The Borg-Warner Gear division made a separate automatic in collaboration with Ford that had some similarities to the DG auto, but cheaper to produce. The deal with Ford was that BW would make 50% of Ford's auto trans needs for five years, Ford license built the other 50%. By the mid 50s Stude's business was going down-hill and they started using the BW/Ford collaboration unit. BW also sold to others. Ford continued making the BW licensed units after the five years. Ford called it a Ford-O-Matic (sometimes known as a model F), The Cruise-O-Matic (model M) came next, then the best features of the F and M were combined to make the FMX. All are based on the Borg-Warner design/license. The Ford trannys are all most similar to the Borg-Warner M-8 and M-10.

8. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

Progress
    Motor done completely and installed. Ready to test fire. Hopefully tomorrow. New master cylinder and brake lines ran.
    20190106_190951.jpg IMG_20190105_203326.jpg
    Front air bags in and disk brake conversion started

IMG_20190105_203527.jpg
    Exhaust all made. Lake pipes in.

Progress. Progress. Progress

Terraizer and ModelAPunk like this.
  9. farna

farna

Looking good!!

10. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

11. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

20190620_193331.jpg
    Yeah actually project came together pretty good and I had it on the road in June 2019
    Motor fired and ran great. Ended up changed out the dizzy to an msd due to some issues with the accel.

Got the interior done and in. In a very much AMC style red, white and blue.

Wiring I did an all new painless style hot rod kit

Painted the roof red metal flake but want to redo it so it's better.
    20190719_232139.jpg

Overall still have some things to do this winter but it's on the road and driving. Something the car hadn't done since the early 90s so I would call it successful.
    20191006_194227.jpg

12. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

Painted and pin stripped dash. 20190316_160507.jpg 20190316_160522.jpg
    Engine final with rad install and all wiring done.
    20190225_144808.jpg

13. farna

farna

An original AC car! I don't see a compressor and condensor though... Can still use the dash vents for ventilation. The fan won't care which way you turn the switch (assuming it's original) as there is no compressor to turn on. That's why the switch turned one way for the heater fan and the other for AC ("refrig") -- the compressor was turned on with the fan.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  14. farna

farna

The dash came out great, by the way... heck, whole car did!!

Blue-Collar-HotRods likes this.
  15. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

16. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

Love the build, on the fence about buying a '59 wagon myself, but it's missing some misc trim, grille parts, and has significant floor rust, so not sure. LOVE these wagons, just so different, and funky!

17. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

Yep factory AC car. Was originally a southern cali car (apparently it's hot there lol) kinda funny they added factory AC but didnt pick an oil filter option on the original engine Priorities right? Yeah no compressor or condenser anymore.

Thanks on the kind words. had alot of people tell me I'm nuts, like I don't already know that, for doing a rambler wagon. But I have enjoyed it so far.

Just ordered all the control arm bushings and trunion thrust bearings yesterday so I can tighten up the front end. Also started fabrication on new lower shock mounts for the front so I can use regular shocks instead of special rambler, aka fairly expensive shocks.

If your on the fence about a rambler just do it! You won't regret it... well you might but what the hell do it anyway

18. Terraizer

Terraizer

very cool. Dad had a 1957 cross-country wagon when I was young, wish he kept it and didn't scrap it