Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Waste Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I over crowd my livestock their very own feces will make them unhealthy. Bones is correct too many folks crowed together. Ive been to Southern Calif when the wind was blowing from the Salton Sea and its was terrible. All the citys stink. I can drive up I57 and about Kankakee I can see the dark cloud. and pretty soon I can smell it. St Louis used to be the same. Now the factorys are gone its not as smelly. Mt Vernon Indiana still smells. However when you look at the big picture those places are a small % of the total area of the planet. They don't amount to diddly squat.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Ive seen Mexican trucks that have a heater that routes the fuel thru the exhaust to make crappy fuel burn. and they filter used engine oil and inject a percentage to the diesel.

Truckdoctor Andy and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. My name is Randall Watts. Anthony Watts is a third cousin. He has a website Watts up With That. He accurately dispels the Glowbull warming Myth & lie. stating Human activity generates 91% of Co2 is as absurd as saying a gallon of oil pollutes a million gallons of water.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm very familiar with WUWT website, it's a very good site. What a small world!

Desoto291Hemi and Old wolf like this.
  5. manyolcars

manyolcars

haha. theres nothing wrong with putting the jugs in the Walmart trash cans in the parking lot

6sally6 and Old wolf like this.
  6. I happen to own three water wells. Two are deep wells in the Sparta Aquifer. one is pounded well fed by a small trickle 12 ft below the surface. When I was a kid our shop was under the spreading limbs of a big White oak. Chain hoist hanging from a stout limb. Right on the Creek bank. Under that tree a spring flowed. Our water pump was set in that spring and piped to the house 1/8 of a mile away. We chose that location because there was a pole and meter there to work the water pump and goof for things like arc welders compressors ect. No building just that tree. I scraped grease. washed parts in gas. spilled oil on the ground right above the spring. Had the ground looking like asphalt. Every year that white oak produced a bumper crop of acorns. and today you can go there where I had the tar and goo the fescue grass is much greener and succulent than at the edge of where we polluted. I could pour 55 gallons of oil in my deep well and it wouldn't make the water bad. Oil floats on water. So that oil would set above the 75 ft static water level. and never be pumped to my house from the 450 ft deep submersible pump. There used to be a store and station here. They drilled the 450 ft well because the trickle fed well got some gas in it because of a leaking tank. I put the trickle fed well back in service. poured a quanity of dish liquid in it. and let that set a week. Then placed a submersible pump in it and pumped it dry a number of times. Its Ok now.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

but, but, but. Old Wolf, you are going against what they want you to believe! :)

Desoto291Hemi and Old wolf like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had a Multi Fuel , M35A2 , I burned many many gallons of used motor , trans, rear axle oil as well as ATF , Transformer oil , you name it if it was flammable it was goin in my tank . I tried drinking Kerosene and pissed in the tank and it ran ! LOL Really it was a hell of a truck , 6383 miles , winch , hard top , bed cover , heater , and power steering all for 1175.00 at auction . No wonder the good old US of A is busted .

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yeah, we have way too many rules and regulations---often imposed on us by unelected bureaucrats

10. 6sally6

6sally6

Hard to believe the statement about one gallon of oil pollutes 1,000,00 gallons of water! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?!
    I did 'hear' concerning the big oil spill in the Gulf a few years ago. It was equivalent to one drop of oil in a bath tub full of water. Pretty small,huh. Now the guys on the Gulf didn't like it but........the argument was it was big but.....not in comparison to the size of the Gulf of Mexico. I have read the part about the ocean oozies oil and absorbs it constantly. Just a natural occurance.
    I'm still giggling about the post of taking used oil back to Walmart(and dropping it in their parking lot!!) THAT AIN'T FUNNY GUY!!!!:p
    6sally6

Old wolf and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Okay, so we've both solved and debunked global warming. Cool.

Can you guys just show me some buckets now?:rolleyes:

Old wolf and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Back when I was a teen I used to buy rerefined oil. 6cents a quart. Most recycled oil is made into road oil now. Valvoline tried to market a 50 -50 oil that was supposed to be 1/2 new crude and the other half recycled oil. I think that pretty much flopped. I seen a U tube video of folks who could light their kitchen faucets . Because natural gas was seeping into their wells. They blamed Fracking and they could be correct. However I know a place where they where drilling a well and hit natural gas. The guy owns the mineral rights. He was overjoyed. they run all their farm tractors off of it. Heat their home and buildings and generate all of their electricity. They just installed gutters and catch rainwater for their domestic water needs. The state Hwy dept every year sprays a thick coat of road tar on the Hwys. then they spread chips or pea gravel on that. let that stay a couple of weeks to make dust and break windshields. (keeps the glass guys in business) then sweep it off. In the summer it gets very hot. then a thunderstorm hits. and that oil is on top and gets slick as black ice. (causes wrecks and keeps the wrecker and body shops in business). The overflow runs off and carries a oil slick. It helps kill the mosquitos.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Not on topic but the tar and chip is kinda like passing in the ocean and sayin it will raise , concerning road repair . I can tell you asphalt paving , is a bit slick after the first few rains on my old scooter . There has got to measurable run off from new paving the first few rains .

14. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still trying to accept the premise from 1973 that the world would run out of oil by 1980. That's it, they said, we'll run out of oil so there will be no gasoline or other by products.

I think they meant that we would run out of places to store all the oil. That is way closer to the truth.

15. I worked for a Rail Road contractor. Used a Backhoe and dug out the RR crossings. We replaced the ties and put new crossing boards and new hot mix asphalt on the approaches. They needed to dispose of the old asphalt. I gladly took it home. You can heat it up and add a bit of used motor oil and its just like new hot mix. I fixed the washouts in the driveway at our other place that way.

16. Yes they used terms like Peak Oil and Tipping Point and when that Doom & Gloom date arrives they move the goal post.

17. big john d

big john d
    from ma

go to the parts manager at your local auto dealer many of them get washer solvent in 16 -20 gallon plastic containers the one i worked at threw them away i would get them out of the dumpster they are very stout make great containers for used oil takes one big guy or two regular guys to put them in a truck

6-bangertim likes this.
  18. I would agree with you 100%, except on the newer engines with DPF systems. Older engines, dump it in. Diesel engines will burn about any kind of oil except gasoline. I’ve even heard of guys using red dye off highway diesel in trucks and dumping a gallon of waste oil in to color the illegal fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Locally, AutoZone takes used oil for recycling. WalMart takes used filters, also recycled.

If you’re doing this for family, put their used oil in a jug, and send them to your local drop-off point.

A friend wrenches in a shop with a waste oil furnace, so I usually give mine to him to pour in to the tank. Free heat for him.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you live in a cold zone it’s real easy to make a drip stove to burn it. I’ve seen several around here. Make a container above your wood burning stove, plumb a line into the fire chamber, with a valve in it. Build your wood fire, open the valve to desired heat and watch your used oil disappear! If it’s cold where you live... you will be asking your friends to bring you oil instead of looking for ways to get rid of it. It burns clean too! Or at least as clean a wood! Cheaper and easier to get than firewood!

Bones

deathrowdave and Old wolf like this.
  21. Too bad you live where its warm and you don't heat with wood. I always recycle so when I have a wood stove or fireplace I dump my drain oil on the wood pile. LOL

If I recall ZEP comes in a 30 gallon drum. I have found empty drums at Autozone back here.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. I got the blueprints from the Mother earth magazine on making a gassifier to run a gas engine on firewood. I was thinking that if you added a drip stove to gassify used oil to combine with the wood gas it would be more efficient. A WWII veteran told me that over in the phillipines the tax'si used a charcoal wood gassifier mounted on the rear bumper. They soaked their charcoal in used engine oil to make it a better fuel.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. A drip heater would be ok for a shop. I don't think it would be acceptable home heat for me. If I burn cedar wood or plastic in my outside wood stove my wife complains about the smell. And She will shut the blower off and open the windows on the coldest day.

24. I like the smell of Cedar, plastic not so much.
    I have a friend that dumps his drain oil in his Kerosene tank for his heating stove. Granted he only has oil from his own equipment so the volume is not that great. Maybe 3 or 4 gallons a month in an 80 gallon tank.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Cedar has turpentine in it. and Debbie don't like to smell it. That's why cedar wood is rot and insect resistant the turpentine content.

26. That's also why you can light it with a match. ;)

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember when this site was about rods and customs.

28. we often get off on a tangient . quite often we can learn something of value from this sort of thing.

VANDENPLAS and nochop like this.
  29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I remember being able to see and smell the air......

wraymen and upspirate like this.
  30. bhemi

bhemi

I take mine to the local quick change Jiffy Lube on Arbutus Street in Vancouver. I have also used the one in Richmond. They get paid for it. My shop is so damn cold if I had more oil I would buy a burner.

Boneyard51 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.