Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Buick info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserchief, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Is there a group on here I can join that builds and drives mid 50's Buicks.
    I bought a 53 special and I'd like to learn more about modifying and kustomizing my new ride

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Bump up for the late crowd...........

3. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

If you lived closer, I'd take that worthless old straight 8 off your hands to help you make customizing it easier!:rolleyes:

4. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

If there is such a "Buick" group I am unaware. I have a 52 mildly customized ( nosed & decked, lowered' different drive train, etc). I'll try to be of any help to you that I can. If you post a question on this forum you will probably get some good answers.

greaserchief likes this.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hey G,
    When we were growing up in So Cal, these were the types of builds that were cruising around. They were daily drivers. As nice as this purple Buick is, it is not a show car that we used to see in the magazines and the actual car shows. But, with a little here and there, it could be a great example of a show quality, custom car that is used for daily driving, not a garage queen.
    upload_2020-1-4_4-49-41.png
    This cool custom Buick sedan was in an industrial area of a So Cal beach town and looks very clean. It almost looks like a Purple Primer paint, but it is probably the latest in “frozen” paint colors, ever so popular with the high end European sporty sedans. The “frozen” paint usually costs thousands extra, so the alternative is to use the latest wrap technique, if so desired.
    upload_2020-1-4_4-50-11.png

Jnaki

A lot of the semi custom cars had the side lakes pipes that actually connected to the stock headers. Some of those end caps were taken off at drive-in restaurant parking lots or at the drive-in theaters, while cruising around. But, for others, it looked nice, but the inlet stopped as far up into the wheel well opening as possible to make it look like it was connected.
    upload_2020-1-4_4-50-42.png
    The number one most wanted item was the chromed reversed rims/wheels. For us, it was too expensive, so we made do with paint of all colors until we found one we liked. Then we added small center hubcaps that were smooth.

In the same industrial area, there was a Ford Sedan Delivery that had painted the headlight rings, so it looked like it was a "Frenched" in headlight. This purple Buick could have done a similar thing with the purple paint for a custom look. Most things were all low-cost custom jobs that make the 50s style relevant.
    upload_2020-1-4_4-51-13.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-you-see-today.1059262/page-24#post-12574287

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lions-dragstrip-1960.1025215/page-5#post-13317636

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

I dont believe there is a group here. There are some on fb and check this link out.

https://forums.aaca.org/

Some people are very helpful and knowledgeable but like most sites some will bash you for not keeping it stock. Browse around and check it out.

7. BJR

BJR

There is a Buick Hambers social group, but the last post was in 2018, so no help there. Ask your questions here and we will help.

8. Enough early 50 Buick enthousiasts on the HAMB. I am one of them and have a 51 Special 2dr HT.
    Don't think there is a seperate group for it on the HAMB.

Hennie

9. BJR

BJR

10. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I've got a '53 Special. Acquired it back in the summer and rebuilt the carb and fuel pump so that I could drive it around a bit. I haven't made any plans for it yet so I'll be watching this thread to see what you do to yours.

11. grease chief, just ask away. I am not much for customizing, but have modified my 263, which is what you have. Was not cheap but is satisfying.
    Be glad to answer any questions I can

Ben

gggholson likes this.
  12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Try The Buick Club of America web site. Lots of good Buick information to be had.

13. I've got a friend with a few of them really cheap. Come down and make a week out of it

14. That's a nice ride. Been there,

Attached Files:

jnaki likes this.