Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuji turbine gun question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Anyone use the Fuji turbine units ? My question is, do you use the same gun for primer and top coat and change the air nozzle sizes or do you need separate guns ??
    Amazon has a good deal on one of their systems I’m considering, expires in 6 hrs !!
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I used the Fuji T75 gun.
    Tip sizes 1.3 for paint and 1.8 for the primer.

I also love the 3M PPS disposable liner paint cup system I bought for it

I wasn’t satisfied with the atomization performance of the 3 stage turbine and upgraded to a 5 stage turbine.

That worked really well. Pretty much perfect.

If I had to do it again I’d buy the Fuji 5 stage quiet turbine system to begin with.

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks Larry !

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, I really like that 3m system. Another reason to use Fuji, IMHO
    The paint on your RPU is killer, hope I can come close to it ;)

lothiandon1940 and Blue One like this.
  7. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey dino ,since we discussed this awhile back i did some more research . i like the fuji system ,not sure if i want a 4 or 5 stage at this point . i considered going with the supplied fuji gun for color and maybe getting a cheaper gun for primer. a quick search on amazon came up with this , available with your choice tip size . https://www.amazon.com/Sprayfine-HV...?keywords=fuji+turbine&qid=1575249734&sr=8-24
    the psi difference is only 1psi between the 4 and 5 stage fuji's . i havent pulled the trigger yet (no pun intended)

Dino 64 likes this.
  8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Hey Jeff thanks , I think that gun won’t work with the turbine, looks like a regular HVLP gun for a compressor. The 3m system that @Blue One mentioned I think will eliminate the need for two gun since it is a disposable cup system, only the gun needs cleaning. Correct me if I’m off on that.
    Interesting only one psi difference, between the 4 and 5 stages. There’s a 4 stage Fuji for sale on Craigslist locally but it has the siphon type gun, I like the gravity feed better

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  9. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yep , i hear you on the siphon versus gravity. i just "pulled the trigger " and purchased the platinum 5 with the t75g . gonna go with a 3m system as well . i used a Dcup system on my relic devilbliss which is similar to the 3m stuff , big plus in clean up . i rechecked my cheap gun sprayfine link , and it says it's made for and works with any turbine system .
    the thought of the 3m system for both primer and color is valid ,but the idea of 2 guns i think is for the different tip/cap /needle size. the fuji has a 1.3 ,good for color . from what i understand a 1.8 -2.0 tip/cap /needle is better for a thicker primer such as epoxy or high build. the fuji has different sizes available so i guess it just depends if you want the convenience of not having to change out tip sizes.

Dino 64 and Just Gary like this.
  10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

My trigger finger is getting itchy :eek:

Bandit Billy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You don't need 2 guns. The 3M system with the disposable cups makes it easy.

The concern about changing tip sizes is also a non issue because in order to properly clean your gun you need to remove the tip and all it's parts anyway.
    So given that there's no reason to have 2 guns. You won't save any time or effort.

Clean the gun, tip is out for cleaning, install new tip size.
    The single most thing that saves time and effort is the 3M PPS system.

I loved it with my T75 gun.

Another thing, buy the gallon sized cans of Gun wash solvent, it's great stuff.

12. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i made the purchase this morning . got a platinum stage 5 with a t75. annnnd, purchased a 3m system and a 1.8 tip/needle /cap off the link you provided in post 6. dino and i have been bouncing ideas off each other for awhile , so between him starting this thread and the info you provided i made the leap . i'm sure my 25 year old compressor made a sigh of relief ......

Just Gary, Blue One and Dino 64 like this.
  13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

What he said^^^^^^^^^^

14. 51box

51box
    from MA

Just a thought but for that much money you can buy a good oil-water separator and everything you would need to paint the car including a gun and supplies. What is the benefit of one of these rigs?

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Beginner friendly, stand alone system, provides consistent pressure, and clean dry warm air.

Excellent results, as good as any regular type equipment.

I’m not a painter but I had great results and love my system.

16. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Hey jbon64 and Dino 64, will you post some of your experience with your new rigs? I just bought a used fuji 4 stage, and I'm getting ready to shoot my econoline. Love to hear how it goes if you get to sprayin' before me.

lothiandon1940, Just Gary and Dino 64 like this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One thing you guys must keep in mind is that you absolutely have to invest in a good supplied air breathing mask in order to safely spray two part catalyzed epoxies and modern 2 part catalyzed paints.

Do not believe anyone who tells you a filter respirator is ok or enough, that just isn't true.
    They will also tell you respirators are ok if you change the cartridge filters regularly. Bullshit!

That may have been true with the old paints but not when you're dealing with isocyanates.
    That stuff will kill you.

I bought a little Hobby air turbine to supply clean cool air to my Allegro full face breathing air respirator.

Keep that in mind and do the job safely, the investment doesn't stop at the equipment purchase.

The next thing to consider after that is a safe spray booth even a temporary one like I built details of which can be found in my thread titled Painting at home and in the driveway.

That will help you get good results and protect your family and neighbors too.

18. Larry this is not completely accurate information. A full faced respirator with the proper filters will indeed protect you from Iscocyantes. The hazard you face with a filtered respirators is not changing the filters often enough and being exposed due to the filters no longer filtering Is a fresh air system safer? Absolutely because you never run the risk of a filter being used for too long but to say a proper respirator with proper filters doesn't work at all is not based on facts.

Dino 64 likes this.
  19. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Will do ! I know @jbon64 is trying to get his painting started soon, I probably won’t be for a couple of months. I haven’t ordered any equipment yet, be very curious to see how your 4 stage works out, please post your experience with it
    Thanks

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

The filter vs. fresh air is another subject I was curious about. Many of the new primers don’t have isocyanates. I’ve heard both sides but I would feel safer with air supplied though

21. I'm interested too- will be looking over @Dino 64 's shoulder & taking notes.:)

22. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Forget that, I’m putting you to work !!:eek:;):):D

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s possibly true but I don’t think it’s a good plan to use and change filters.

Most guys won’t be diligent about changing filters.

When I was doing my research I tried to find a filter manufacturer including 3M who would put in writing that their filter cartridges were approved for isocyanates.

I don’t think you’ll be able to find anything.

I also tried to find in writing the information about filter changes, frequency etc.

So, if you can provide manufacturer information and recommendations I’d like to see it.

I still think the supplied air is the best and safest way in the absence of training ,respirator fitting and a formal controlled program for filter time cycles.

All of the things that a home hobby painter is not likely to have.

I know full well that a lot of pro painters and not so pro painters use cartridge respirators regularly.

My main point is that they aren’t approved for that use.

I used my positive pressure full face supplied air system and in doing so I ensured that I painted safely.

Not based on facts.

I think I’ll stick with information like this from 3M etc.
    https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/777847O/isocyanates-3m-techupdate.pdf
    https://pksafety.com/blog/urethane-paint

I’m pretty sure you can understand my focus on safety Ian given that we put such importance on it in the training of the apprentices.

Staying safe and going home in one piece and living for their families is the goal.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    patterg2003 and Dino 64 like this.
  24. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i purchased a fuji stage 5 , the 3m cup system and a 1.8 needle for primer. definate learning curve involved. the first round i shot SPI high build primer straight up. it came out very orange peely. next cup reduced primer by 20% , not as orange peely . did the 3rd cup and still had orange peel finish . its primer so it got blocked down. this morning i shot SPI regular 2k primer reduced 25% . spent some time dialing in the gun this time and the finish came out super smooth . plus ....remember my first round i went thru 3 - 20oz cups just to paint the body of my A coupe. this mornings test run 1 -20oz cup did whole body with a little bit to spare. my first round i obviously had my fluid control cranked out way to much . i plan to use single stage urethane for color so we'll see how it works out when the time comes.
    my turbine came with a 25ft hose (like a garden hose) . an extra 10 -15ft would be a welcome addition . plus that bigger hose weighs more than the typical air hose so after a while my arm and wrist were feeling fatigued. hope this helps

sproadster30, Dino 64 and Hnstray like this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Well, I haven’t bought a unit yet as I’m not ready to paint. Been in touch with @jbon64 by pm to get updates. One thing he didn’t mention in his post is that he felt a 4 stage would work well so you’re probably good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Thanks for the update @jbon64 ! I'll be shooting next week.

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Good luck ! Give us a progress report.

28. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, ditto on this. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dino 64 likes this.