Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Waste Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an extremely small shop. One of those "gotta move this pile to get to that pile" shops because I have WAY too much crap an no storage space. :rolleyes: I'm working on that, but I need to get a better handle on waste oil around here.

I need to get control of these tank style drain pans and kitty litter containers I stash until my town has its biannual cleanup and collection or when the parts store dump tank is empty, which it never is.

I want a larger waste oil collection tank that can still be loaded into the truck or pumped into smaller containers so I don't have to have so many smaller jugs just laying around. Hell, maybe something with a nice hand pump.

I have a fenced area to the side of my shop were I can keep a larger receptacle like a 30 or 55 gallon drum.

My only thing is, it has to be metal. The environment here in SoCal is pretty rough on plastics and rubber that sets outside in the sun.

I think I already know the direction I'm going, I'd just like to get some input from you guys.

What I'm asking is, what do you guys use as a waste oil collection set up? Pics? Specs? that sort of thing.

Thanks, guys!

Chucky likes this.
  2. AAA276F0-85E8-47A9-8BD7-2F6157B018BE.jpeg 9E9F3CEA-AF1C-418C-A16F-708A25F39B67.png 2B6B2EBF-6ED8-4AA7-92C9-ACD12E4DE300.png BBA53243-AB52-4FB1-B733-03FB3A1EAD75.jpeg

this is what I would use.
    Make a pan for it to sit in to catch drips and leaks and put it on gravel or screening so to avoid contamination as best you can.
    With the pump on top you can pump it into smaller containers or a 55 gallon drum on your truck.

Up here companies will haul waste oil for free if you have around 100 gallons per pick up.

flatford39 and ccain like this.
  3. I am suprised your local municipality does not have free collection sites...
    Here in MD (which isnt far behind CA in most things government) has free paint, oil and antifreeze collection sites around the county... places like the land fill, recycling center, and half of the county "barns".
    I have an old 5 gal metal lacquer thinner can that I put all the oil in and then go dump it... holds about 5 oulchanges worth, which is about 1 oil change per car in the family fleet...
    The problem with you plan is the bigger you go on the container the harder loading and securing the tank for transport will be... at least that was the limiting function in my decision to go with 5gal at a time.
    There is a number in the link below to find the nearest waste oil collection facility in CA.
    Good luck
    Chappy
    https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/usedoil/info

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't all the oil change it places have to accept your used oil?

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t and ccain like this.

5. trollst

trollst

5 gallon buckets free from the recycler, when full drop them off at the facility.

1953naegle, scotty t and ccain like this.
  6. Thanks guys! This is the kinda stuff I'm looking for.

Chappy and Treb, yes, they do. (thanks for that link, Chappy!) I'm just looking for a holding area for the stuff I'm too lazy to take straight back to the parts store right after I change fluids. :D Besides, when I get done wrenching for the day, I usually have too many refreshing beverages to drive it back to the parts store or were ever. Then, I go to sleep and wake up to a new dumpster fire and that kinda stuff get pushed back... rinse and repeat. You know? :D

I don't have a fleet, per say, but I do, on average, change enough oil for the family (I have a couple of heavy commuting family members) that it becomes a problem, very quickly, and I'm just trying to consolidate and downsize the pile, so to speak.

In all seriousness, I'm just tired of trying to find a place to store the empty containers I keep laying around for oil changes. Something like one 30 gallon drum setting outside the shop vs. fifteen 2 gallon jugs hogging up space in or outside of the shop.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

D9C21E43-5231-4130-8B9C-3BFC9747AE05.jpeg Why generate so much oil?, auto zone, fire department, haz waste facilities, and my weekly garbage pick up waste oil. That much oil is a major hassle in my opinion

Cosmo49, VANDENPLAS and ccain like this.
  8. RmK57

RmK57

Whereabouts in bc are you from? I'm on the North Shore which has a population of around 200,000 and we don't have a drop off for used oil. Have to drive to Vancouver to get rid of used oil. Talk about local government helping with recycling, right.

VANDENPLAS and ccain like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

Princeton, I get my buckets at the local bulk dealer, the town landfill accepts the oil free. Small town life is where its at.

29EHV8 and ccain like this.
  10. I am exactly 2.3 miles from the Greenpond recycling center and they are open 6 days a week, They have a huge tank on site for used oil so I usually wait until I have my 2 - 5 gallon jugs full.

There are several recycling centers around the Anderson area, the county do a excellent job. HRP

The Magic Ratchet, nochop and ccain like this.
  11. Don't you guys down south use it to baste your meat?:p I bring mine to a friend that has a recycle guy pick it up. Or any of the AutoZone type places will take it. I have a automotive type drain can with extendable funnel for oil changes and then pour it into empty gallon anti-freeze containers. I have not tried it on meat, but it is good on fish.:rolleyes:

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey RmK57,

You're going to have to get after your local Poobahs, over here in New West we have oil, paint, fluorescent, green, paper, plastics, metal!, etc. recycling built into our taxes. Now within a few months the buggers are combining with Coquitlam and POCO which means a bit longer drive and no more free metal!

ccain likes this.
  13. No Mark, I prefer to use Pam spray on my meat, it lubricates and penetrates, besides motor oil has a unpleasant aftertaste. :D HRP

The Magic Ratchet, alanp561 and ccain like this.
  14. You must be using the oil without zinc!:eek:

alanp561 and ccain like this.
  15. 55 gal Metal drum top cut out. I set wooden fence post in there and use the oil to treat them. most times in the summer its hot enough out in the sun to really work. I have built a small fire under it before to heat it up. It really doesn't matter one iotia to mother nature how you dispose of it. Crude oil is a natural thing. It all comes out of the ground in the first place. The basic elemants its comprised of have always been here and will always be here. You cannot increase matter . You cannot decrease matter. In other words you cannot make something from nothing. You cannott make something into nothing. The planet earth always eventually recycles everything. Its a wash. Even Steven.

16. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

17. Spray Pam is one of those multi purpose items, works just as well in the boudior as it does in the kitchen. HRP

alanp561, deathrowdave, ccain and 2 others like this.
  18. Build a waste oil heater, they work awesome and are free to keep ya toasty warm! Mine cranks!

-Shiny

19. That may be TMI.:oops:

OLDSMAN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. partssaloon

partssaloon

He's in Calif. not Canada and they are all suppose to be converted to Electric Vehicles

Montana1 and ccain like this.
  21. That'll be a cold day in hell. :p

Darryl Deir and Old wolf like this.

22. EE7B12E8-640D-4AA2-913F-29F00BEC835C.gif

holy crap HRP !!! That’s funny !!!

rusty valley likes this.
  23. Ct1932ford,

Yes down south and most everywhere really I guess.

Oh,,,wait a minute,,,,,I just reread your post,,,,you said,,,,baste your meat.
    Sorry !

Tommy

LoL,,,I know,,,still thought it was funny .

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Pam !! Good enough for Jungle Jim and Nascar good enough for me :)

25. I'd break a hip.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  26. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Orily's, Pep Boys, take drain oil - usually 5 gallons at a time. Snag some antifreeze jugs out of the dumpster there, store in a milk crate. Take the crate on your next parts run, dump and refil! Antifreeze, dirty solvent, old gas, and brake fluid have to wait for your 'recycling days'. I wouldn't spend more than a large funnel for drain oil... cuts into my BEER budget!

ccain likes this.
  27. upspirate

upspirate

When I was changing oil, I just poured the old used oil back into the empty oil bottles the new oil came in. Then took them back to the store,dumped the oil and threw the bottles away there

28. Budget36

Budget36

Just a thought, when my Dad had his two trucks and large shop, winter was spent in the shop getting them ready-other things as well-and each year we'd have two 55 gallons drums of used motor oil. He built a oil fired heater. We never had to haul used oil away again.

I wish I'd have saved the guts of it, but after he retired and sold everything in his trucking business, he also sold not only everything in the shop, but sold the shop too. I mean they took the shop down and hauled it out of his place!

29. Craigslist an old 55 Gal drum and buy a rotary pump (semi good ones are about $150). Keep it covered from standing water and off the ground so it won't rust.
    I have an old 15 Gal Lubester that I use for fresh oil, but the old guy I bought it from used it for waster oil. If can find them for around $50-$200 good used, but I wouldn't put it outside as they're a piece of history.

5 gal is the limit for O'rileys/Autozone, I'm not sure of the Hazardous waste places around here for limits. I use a 5 gal race gas container so it gets dumped then. Also a 5 gal jug for coolant, which you can only take to a hazardous waste place here.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    ccain likes this.
  30. Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    ccain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.