Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Small Block Chevy in 1932 Ford water pump clearance issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Oct 13, 2019.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I had to use a ford falcon fan on mine and used a mustang lower hose outlet on my walker radiator to gain clearance . And a tri 5 chevy lower hose works like a charm:D

2. wildwest

wildwest

Would it be really hokey to run a short u shaped rubber hose to a steel tube, across the bottom of the front of the engine , then a rubber hose elbow to get from one side to the other? Sounds kind of dorky now that I describe it.... I really hate to cut up the brand new radiator......

I wonder if somebody makes a short water pump with an outlet on the opposite side ?

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Turn pump over. :p

irishsteve and Splitbudaba like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest

I bought and sold another 32 project and kept the radiator, assuming it was for a Chev....

5. wildwest

wildwest

If I had the radiator outlet changed, would I need to have the top one changed as well, or would it still work if they were both on the same side of the radiator?

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

No need to change top .Hot water in top tank , cold water out bottom tank...It don't give a shit other than that.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ FYI, Chevy Malibu 64-65 have outlets that point the other way.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    lumpy 63 likes this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Think it cost me $50 to change the lower outlet on my rad.

9. wildwest

wildwest

I can't seem to find 64-65 Malibu Water pumps with an outlet on the drivers side ? Anyone know of a part # for a small block chevy water pump with the outlet on the drivers side ?

10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

No such animal...Johnny Gee was talking about the upper hose. You are over thinking this my friend. It will work , just take a long hard look , and mock up your parts .Go talk to your local radiator shop, It really isn't a big deal to change the outlet:cool:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Splitbudaba likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm sorry it's probably my water pump joke about turning one upside down.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest

Ok, i'll do some calling around to radiator shops and see who still does that. I live in the middle of nowhere, so it's ether 2 hours north, south, east, or west ! Thanks again for all the help everyone !

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

The Mustang lower outlet is pinched into an oval where it comes out of the rad, so it gives you more fan clearance.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That's how Walker does it. Well the one in the 32 here in the garage is like that.

lothiandon1940 and lumpy 63 like this.
  15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have a walker in my 29 on pinched 32 rails , It is the 1" shorter version for correct grill height on a 28-29, but I found I still had to move the outlet to the far right of the lower tank and use the Mustang outlet to gain as much clearance as possible using a vintage 4 blade fan. If I remember correctly the Falcon fan I used was 15" Dia.

16. All the blocks are virtually identical and most places have one for mock ups
    Id ask him what accessories he used to get it together and fit?

When building a car the easiest place to give up any room is in the firewall. The one place you can’t give up any room is at the Radiator to fan / water pump Clearance.

lothiandon1940 and Johnny Gee like this.
  17. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Amen. Put the radiator in the car and work your way back. My Grand Son and I are putting a small block in a MG-TD. I explained to him, radiator first and everything else gets cut to fit.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  18. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. AJ'S RADIATOR & AUTOMOTIVE Contact Information

Address:900 E 3RD ST
    THE DALLES, OR 97058Phone Number:5412985555

Phil

20. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I’m installing a small block in my deuce roadster. I haven’t cut the firewall. I have a Zips water pump riser, 6cyl Chevy water pump and a vintage chromed 4 blade fan. I have 3/8” between the corvette valve cover and the firewall and 5/8” between the fan and the radiator at the bottom of the fan. It’s tight, but it does fit.

21. We used Cooling Components fans and short water pumps.
    Those fans are super thin.

22. clem

clem

This is what I did, as do many others, probably because it is the easiest and cheapest inch of space you can buy..........
    The whole of the blade is behind the pulley.

23. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I tried using a flex fan with the Zips riser and the fan hit the front of the alternator. I had to use a smaller vintage fan.

24. A few tricks I have learned and done for years that work well and gain you some added room...
    Run the short water pump, but knock the fan mounting flange back 3/4" before bolting it to the engine. Then run a Ford 302 pulley, works perfect!
    I also run a Mallory dual point dizzy and use a flatty crab dizzy cap that fits right on.
    The right valve cover is about 1/2" to the firewall.

-Shiny

rod1 and Beanscoot like this.