Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Writing the Wrong

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jan 3, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Writing the Wrong

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

302GMC, Jimmy B, town sedan and 7 others like this.
  2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm constantly amazed by the Old Photographs that you and others have found and keep unearthing. Thank Y'all for your diligent , many hours of hard working efforts . The history that is carried on and preserved for future generations of gearheads..

3. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

That is really cool .Bad ass car .

J.Ukrop likes this.
  4. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Nice one, Joey.

J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

And look how shiny it was.......reflections on the body side.....

winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's always nice when another piece is added to the puzzle. Great looking car. Bob

kidcampbell71 and J.Ukrop like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I am going to say is that few would have thought then new Studebaker V8 with a set of chrome headers. It took Jimmy's good eye and memory to see that it was the car in the photos he had that had evolved from the time the first one was taken.
    That is a point a lot of guys miss now, those hot rods in that time frame evolved over a period of time from a rather rough around the edges bare bones piece into some of the nicer finished rods of the era. Most of them didn't stay in the rough state forever.

chryslerfan55, Jimmy B and Okie Pete like this.
  8. Great article Joey, it always shows character to write the wrongs :cool:. With the photo you had to work with it was a logical assumption to say it was a flathead powered roadster. Given flatheads were still the weapon of choice for many Hot Rodders in 1950-51.

Now I have stuffed up a little I should have dug out my copies of Rod Dust. In February 1951 issue there is a Flathead powered T, I didn't pay much attention previously as it wasn't Stude powered. Looking at the roadster more it is an early version of this mystery roadster before it got the Stude powerplant, owner Fred Chiesa.

rod-dust-1951-013.jpg
    rod-dust-1951-012.jpg

I was going thru folders of photos and came across the same roadster at speed on the dry lake outside Reno (AHRF photo). Now there is another photo of this car in full street trim on the side of the road in the Bay area, it was on the AHRF site but that particular Jim's news August 26, 2013 is no longer on the site.

mbb_222_t-rdstr-on-a-run.jpg

And here is where the link to Fred Chiesa in my mind is cemented. In 1952 a new build was in the works a tube frame '26 T roadster with Stude power, check out the independent rear made from Citroen parts. There is a photo of this setup in another early 50s magazine. I don't know this car was ever finished, but wow what a car it would have been.

MSW-3-14-1952-001.jpg

Thank you to linking to my new Hot Rod Art book :cool::cool::cool:
    Cheers
    Jimmy

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow, write on dude!
    great stuff. Stude power would have been an interesting pick for the salt as it is heavy and looks like more iterations of this car leave more questions to answer
    amazes me how you guys dig up stuff
    thank you

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. More on Fred Chiesa's roadster. Looking thru photo's I noticed Fred's roadster in the bottom right corner of this photo of S.F. Ramblers club display, 1950 (G)NRS.
    Photo was sent to me years ago by George Zaft. Fred roadster ran a Ardun! :eek::cool: I have seen other pics somewhere :confused:o_O:rolleyes:
    Oakland Show III.jpg

11. IMG_4950.JPG IMG_4951.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always get a kick out of seeing pictures of things that "were never done back in the day" being done back in the day.