Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Craigslist has less ads now it seems...new site suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris_n, Dec 10, 2019.

1. chris_n

chris_n

You guys are lucky. I'm in SoCal and nailhead engines are few and far between.

Chris

2. verde742

verde742

as implied in early text, ITS not the $5.00, ITS all the information that CL wants provided..

Its Not school I object to, it's the principle

chris_n and F&J like this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Networking and word of mouth still work....Going to look at a 55 Chevy 4 door wagon this weekend. Been in storage 20yrs. 265 4bbl, pwr steering,pwr brakes, pwr front seat and pwr. windows. Also have a line on a 37 ford coupe, garage kept and also not advertised . They are still out there.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hello. What are you looking for in parts ?

5. They don’t grow on trees anymore.
    You can still get whatever you want, but it’s not always where and when you want it. And sometimes you need to really pay up to get it.

Fastenal ain’t too bad on shipping , if the seller can palletize it, and crate it, and get it to a local fastenal store is a different matter.

What parts and what years do you need?
    Are you on some of the Buick messaging boards as well?

6. It’s not just that, but for whatever reason CL is a lot like a shopping mall that has no stores or shoppers. It’s in its last throws of life.
    CL is down on listings because it’s down on shoppers. Maybe it’s bad publicity of CL murders and muggings, maybe it’s that every time you list something on CL you get blown up with a scam and spam BS.

The group that’s singing the it’s only $5.00 song must be missing something. Even if CL reverses the Fees the people aren’t coming back.
    CL took off around the same time EBay became a pain it the ass. Wonder why? I sold a lot on EBay then quit. It used to be an auction site with plenty of no reserve listings but it’s changed. Then I sold a lot on CL then it became a hassle so I quit. I still cruise CL but it’s definitely not the same. I’ll be listing a ‘35 ford coupe project soon. I’ve got 4 million things to do and I’m going to list it on the easiest thing I can find that causes me the least amount of grief.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Beanscoot likes this.
  7. 1941coupe

1941coupe

a friend sold 5 older cars with a company named webeautos.com they get 5% of sale but handle the whole transaction including financing , I sold mine right here on the hamb

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have had good luck over the years using Racing Junk. Both buying and selling.
    Facebook market place seems to be the go to place. My neighbor just scored the pieces he needed for his Vega project.

9. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like many browsed CL looking for old cars and parts, and still do from time to time. I have purchased and sold some cars there. kinda scary at times. lots of scammers.
    I will say I have never been scammed or led astray by anyone on the HAMB.
    CL is good for local stuff HAMB is good for the real cool stuff.
    FB is not one of my tools, but from time to time my wife will show me a car for sale or a part for sale. I guess as we get older things change some for the better. I do still miss the Tuesday morning stop at the 7-11 to get a coffee and the latest Auto Trader.
    As for $5 for posting an add this may have scared away some of the scammers, and the cheap car salesmen.
    Just remember where ever you leak someone will hang a bucket, so there is always somewhere to get what you want.

10. Mike

Mike

The day that the $5.00 fee took effect, the number of adds in one of my usual sorts dropped from over 400 to less than 100. A 75% drop overnight, I reckon the $5.00 fee has had a big affect on the number of adds.

Chucky likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The reason it dropped so quickly was CL pulled all the free ads that night. They stated that was going to happen. The ones that paid before the change stayed up. But I agree, since the changeover, the number has dropped a bunch, but it seems like they are starting to rebound a bit.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The way I see it is they weren't charging (or making any) money all along so what did C/L have to lose.
    Myself, I cleaned out my rafters and garden shed and sold it all on C/L for ZIP in advertising costs.
    If they started charging for everything I couldn't piss about it.

chevyfordman likes this.
  13. Mike

Mike

Yes, that explains the sudden drop in ads. I should have mentioned in my other post that the number of ads shown for that sort never really recovered. The number of ads shown for that sort slowly rose to and now hovers between 100 - 120, still far less than the 400 plus ads shown for that sort before the start of the $5.00 fee.

14. the flatlander

the flatlander

A good place to put an ad , I have found, is in the Round Up magazine out of W.Va. really. usually in all major book stores & many big gas stations. And good place to buy too. check it out. I also adv. in HMN, still read by guys w/ $ + -. Soon, it will cost u something to advertise anywhere, hopefully there will be buyers....p/s, I'm not convinced about Facebook & the like......Alan

anthony myrick likes this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yes you can find deals on facebook marketplace and I resell the stuff on craiglist. For cars in my area yes, it is few on cl in the regular car section but you just have to look under the parts section and go to the barter section. cars are showing up in these spots seeing these sections for now are free.

16. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have bought lots on HAMB classifieds but there is a problem. Ads stay on there forever and are never marked sold. Recently looking for a station wagon, I contacted five sellers, two never got back and the other three were irritated because I was calling about a car they had already sold. If there was a sold box to click that deleted the ad, it would be a lot more friendly. The other thing that happens is that instead of bumping the ad to the top, they recreate the ad so there may be a half dozen copies of the same ad. I always feel so lucky when I find something that is still available. This is certainly the best market place for the stuff we want.

Warren

48fordnut likes this.
  17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

It helps if the O/P would list where they live. Used to be a requirement here.
    Just saying.

raven likes this.
  18. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Frankly I think craigslist is more for tire kickers, I have listed a few items and most of the time I just get a response is it still for sale. Waste of time. Hamb is for real rodders and I will keep my money here. Mercuryguy

19. Hooked up a friend of mine with this FB find. $250 for all. The 348 intake is a 59, the carbs are in the bucket.
    22B96944-82F0-4F06-8FCB-E2F1683122DB.jpeg

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I finally got my own facebook account after using my daughters to look at market place,
    Now I havent been able to access Marketplace for over a week:rolleyes:
    Says Market place isnt available to me:mad:
    I dont have much of a clue when it comes to maneuvering around facebook o_O

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  21. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I dont know if anyone mentioned LETGO yet but I use it some. Its alright. The thing I've noticed about any classifieds section is that if you put the actual price and say firm you'll mostly get serious parties. I always put NO BS in my ads.

22. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, me too. I went to the FB Market place when it was mentioned here, I filtered for cars for sale.

Now I can't figure out how un-filter, or search for something else. Oh well, maybe that Model A high boy will be listed near me for a 1000 or less;)

23. jimpopper

jimpopper

bringatrailer.com will entertain you for 5 minutes or so.

24. Another FB find
    8B889738-EC69-4846-A6E2-3CC582746AF2.jpeg
    Guy says 312
    This came up while I was going after a set of wheels. Dang it
    15DBB5C6-9B8E-4BDF-9FC4-1884CC6F63F6.jpeg

25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

CL around here is dead. HAMB classifieds for parts seems a bit stagnant, but honestly Iv'e been searching Caddy parts so not much to be found. Still thinking word of mouth and auto swaps are the best bet.As time goes on this stuff will be getting harder to find as the elders are dying off and the offspring won't know what to do with it other than scrap it...

26. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Facebook Marketplace is easily the only game in town.

27. Our FB has a 56 caddy engine with 2 4s and a brand new Richmond 5spd. $3200
    That’s the price for just the trans.

28. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Sorry, I know I'm gonna get flamed .....Not a fan of FB.

29. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

You don't have to be a "fan" of Facebook...you don't have to do anything you don't like. There is nothing stopping anyone from opening an account and using it only for Marketplace.

anthony myrick likes this.
  30. Boden

Boden

Facebook marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stephen Barrett likes this.