Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical adjusting valves with tdc tool ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Jan 2, 2020.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I am adjusting valves on rebuilt sbc. I bring it up on tdc on number 1 adjust then rotate engine 90 degrees adjust then 90 degrees adjust following firing order . If done this way i should be able to use tdc finder on every cyl. when i rotate it. Would this be correct ? Should be perfect timed and then adjust valves.

2. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Yes, correct. If you start at #1 TDC COMPRESSION stroke and then turn 90 degrees and adjust the next cylinder in the firing order (and repeat 'til all are adjusted) you will have done it correctly.

Terry

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I don't have my balancer marked at every 90 degrees. I thought if i use tdc finder on next cylinder that would be the 90 degrees. Will this work? One more question . How do you mark balancer at 90 degrees?

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You only need to find TDC at the top of the compression stroke on one cylinder, pick which one you want, doesn't need to be #1. Then turn the crank 90º, and adjust the next one in the firing order, and so on. 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 is the firing order.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Or you can watch the companion cylinder valves.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted the above at the same time you posted about not having the damper marked every 90º. You don't have to use the TDC finder on all the cylinders, you just need to use it on the first four. The next four you'll have already marked.

Mark Yac likes this.
  7. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

90 degrees is just 1/4 turn....so just divide the balancer in four roughly equal parts starting with #1 TDC as the first mark. A white or yellow marker works great. The 90 deg doesn't have to be exact...within a half inch will get the valves adjusted just fine.

Terry

8. Good advice Terry. That's how I do it.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^ ^ ^ ^ Chicken nailed it.
    There are a bunch of ways to adjust the valves on a small block or any other engine but that is probably the simple one.
    If the engine is still on the stand marking the 90 degree / 1/2 turn is a piece of cake. A straight edge across the center of the damper gets the 180 and placing it square across that line gets the 90 and 270.

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Thanks for info. Engine is in truck already. Never new how people marked a balancer. I have saw timing tape that went all the way around. Yes it would be easy on stand, but i put it in truck already. I thought the tdc finder would help get closer on the cyl. then i could mark the balancer. After the first four it would be marked and done.