Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Well, looks like I'm a Rambler man now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KandN Kustoms, Jan 1, 2020.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'll probably never do it to mine but if I had to change drive train I'd use one of my 360s. They had a 21 year run, most common of the 290 thru 401 series. It would stay AMC, a mild build, trans+rear change plenty of power. Still quite expensive, disc brakes, rad., shifter, etc.
    You don't see many original ones anymore.
    Mine I have original window sticker as I remember $1,800, only option was seat belts.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  2. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Yeah I've seen a lot of mild builds with these. (Even one with a LS motor! ) but haven't seen ANY that are built wild and crazy!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Friend of mine has had a '64 American for over 40 years and put a Chevy 350 small block in it. Nice looking car, and it runs ok, at car shows neither the Chevy or AMC people like it though. He never will sell it for what he has in it.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

5. southerncad

southerncad

I'd send a couple of pics of it to the p/shop gurus in the Photoshop thread and let them give you some ideas on stance and wheel/tire combo.....kewl ride by the way.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

We had a 1964 rumbling Rambler that we run around in on our dirt race track in the back field . Always thought they looked like a Chevy ll younger brother or step child.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Just chased this Winneconne secession thing down the rabbit hole. Hilarious!

Looks like a solid start to a Rambler project. Congrats?!:D

loudbang likes this.
  8. al1630

al1630

Welcome to the rambler club! I think that flathead is supposed to make around 90HP, but you should be able to get good mileage out of it if you want to use it as a daily.

Greenblade and loudbang like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Personally, I think the world has enough “freaks” and “cartoon gassers” already. Also the Astro supreme/ ‘flake top thing is done to death. I would clean and polish it, fix whatever keeps it from being a regular driver and leave the poor thing alone. It’s made it this far without being butchered, I’d say it’s earned a peaceful easy retirement. When you get the urge to screw it up, sell it. You’ll make money on it. Survivor cars are hot right now especially low end economy models that are mostly gone ‘cause no one cared about them for all these years.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice! I had a 63 that was my daily driver. The engine was so quiet and smooth. I really miss that car and wish I had it back. First gear went out on mine so i would start on second. Mine had some nice factory hubcaps but end up putting some aluminum 14s on it. It sure looked good. I'll look for some pics.

loudbang likes this.
  11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

10 likes!

12. fps-25

fps-25

My first car was a '64 American 440. It had an overhead valve 196.5CI. It may be that the 220 and 330 series came with the flat head. Mine had a three on the tree and was the most fun to drive of any car I have ever owned. 2Dr hardtop model. Once I got it north of Lansing,MI ( in the pre-radar days ) I would run her up to 85 and cruise all day. My Dad owned the car before I did and once I told him that I got 25 miles per gallon on a long trip.He replied ' I used to get 30. I don't know whats wrong with you!" I sold it because I was young and stupid. I bought the last set of D-78 15 tires is in town for it and decided that if I couldn't get tires in the future I had better get rid of it. I did not know that 14 inch rims would fit and I could have run E-78 14's forever.

13. I had a '62 Studebaker Lark that the know-it-alls at the shows would say: "that's a Rambler!" I would tell them: "no it's not, it's a Studebaker", to which they would reply: "same thing ".
    There's no fixin' stupid...

14. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Mine was a 330 and had the 196.5 in it.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Right about that. Dad bought a '65 Ambassador 990 fully loaded...ordered it new. It had a 327. You know of course what everyone said it was. Rambler 327 actually was a mid block. My wife has always loved Pontiac. People say oh! It has a 455 big block.
    Our neighbor had a '56 Power Hawk...really nice car.

16. 327Eric

327Eric

Mine was a 64 440 wagon with the ohv 6 and 3 speed od. It looked real good with 14 x 6 chrome reverse rims on it. Lovef that little car.

17. Cool....dad bought a new wagon in 1964 and my Aunt bought one as well....we put many a mile in them ! Have fun !

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have always wanted a SCRambler with the red white and blue color. since i can't afford one now, i have been looking at this style to paint it like that. put a HURST floor shifter, a tach on the column and that hood scoop. MAN! i would be styling.

19. townie8

townie8

One note of caution for the new owner, these are unit body. Check those floor pans carefully. They are the frame and need to be very solid.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Yep I already know that the driver side is going to need replaced. And I'm sure the pass side too.
    I'll know for sure when it warms up a little and I can get it up on stands to check it out real good,
    Just want to thank all you guys for your thoughts and suggestions.
    This little car should be fun!

21. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

This post has me a little concerned.......
    Are you saying that Ramblers have a special size rim that only accepts certain specific size tire?
    I was under the impression that they were standard 14s and I could just put on appropriate 14 tires on.
    Maybe I'm just reading to much into it.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have liked those for a long time. A friend had one with a cheap paint job and some nice wheels.If you decide to get rid of it I am Close.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Wheels are standard. Measure and (I'm going by memory) I believe GM won't fit...but same as Chrysler or Ford. Most came 14", you can use 15" if it fits ok, profile, etc. I'm using AMC factory slotted mags, Magnum 500 looks good also.
    The one thing I never liked about the flathead is there's no exhaust manifold. Tailpipe has three rectangular slots and end capped off, clamps hold it in place to ports.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Play list for the new car should include;
    Rambler On - Zep
    Rambler, Gambler - Dillon
    Midnight Rambler - Stones
    Rambler Man - Allman Bros
    Rambler, Gamblin Man - Seger

Cool ride!

25. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Thanks for the info!

26. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

NICE! I'll keep this in mind!

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You may forget about modifying it when you see the gas mileage! Should do really well. Neat car! Lippy

28. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

I'll keep you in mind if it ever comes to that!

29. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

RAR1947 and chryslerfan55 like this.