Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Auto or stick...but with a twist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Dec 31, 2019.

1. derbydad276

derbydad276

I have 2 cars for cruising ...
    the 53 ... 3 on the tree... cruise 2 lane roads windows down
    the 78 ....auto ... hit the interstate and run 75 mph all day with the a/c on

when ever people see the 78 I hear ... my grandparents had one of these ...
    does that answer the question

2. 80% of the cars I've ever owned have been manual. If I was building from scratch it would be a manual. But the only HAMB friendly car I own at this time is an automatic. It was the "right" vehicle with the "wrong" trans, but that didn't stop me from buying.

3. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember all the details but it was a regular manual trans with an electric solenoid for clutch activation and the shifter was pressure sensitive and and would release the clutch for shifts.

Phil

4. squirrel

squirrel

They're all fun, if you set them up right. I still enjoy driving a 3 on the tree, but my wife's OT sporty car with a 6 speed is a blast, too. The trans tries to make up for the tiny engine :)

If I want to go fast, though, a manually shifted slushbox seems to be the way to go. You can build one with a lot of old technology parts, that will hold up to a lot of power.

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I am still torn, going to get the car into roller mode first. I bet I end up putting a 6 speed in it.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Over the years in my builds I've used standad shift transmissions almost exclusively 3,4, and 5 speeds. My current 60 Pontiac Bubbletop is the first automatic I've used in a long time. The engine is a 400 and the transmission is a 2004R out of an 87 Grand National. I couldn't think of a better combination to use. At 75 MPH and locking up the torque converter the RPM's drop to 1900. On todays Interstate Highways most have 70 MPH speed limits with almost everyone driving 80 MPH Plus. My Pontiac will cruise at 80 MPH Plus for hours without even breaking a sweat. The fuel economy it gets is incredible. I was one of those who mistakenly thought only real men drove standard shift cars. Sorry I didn't figure this out much sooner.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

VW used a micro switch in the shifter knob to control the clutch via the solenoid, it also had a torque converter, more like a go cart clutch, so that it would be able to stand still with the engine running and in gear. You had to get a certain rpm before it would take off, then you manually shifted the three gears. From what I remember, when they worked they were OK, sluggish, but OK. When they started giving problems, most were swapped to a normal manual trans and three pedals, all the holes were already there. It's been years since I've seen one still working.

Budget36 likes this.
  8. silent rick

silent rick

B&M hydro. let the tranny make the 1-2 shift, pull the other 2 yourself

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. When I built my '32 Sedan years ago I had a hard time walking due to a wreck on my old Harley that did a lot of damage to my left leg and it odn't work as well as it once did but over the years I have learned to compensate.

I still wouldn't want a manual in the sedan because of the tight confines and limited room for my size 12's, on the other hand when we were building the wagon we decided early on that we would stay with the manual transmission but instead of 3 on the tree we would use a T-5 5 speed transmission.

This car has a easy clutch and I don't have to have a leg like Samson to hold the clutch in like I did in mu youth fighting with the likes of Hayes Clutches. HRP

dirty old man likes this.
  10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Agreed the 200r4 and a 3:73 rear gear is a perfect combination, factory in the 85-88 monte SS. I still have a few SS CZF 200r4s on the shelf, but if I use an auto it will be a 4L60e. I will have to sit in the car and make some vroom vroom noises to decide what trans to run LOL.
    HRP I agree an easy clutch is a big leg saver, I run factory hydraulics that make the pedal effort zip.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nothing new for most folks but a couple informative videos.