Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When to stop or continue

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gassersteve, Jan 1, 2020.

1. If the front is custom, does the rear need to have something done or is it off balance if not

2. Guess that would depend on the extent of the front-end modifications. Only a custom grille, no problem. Not absolutely necessary to do anything to the rear.

scrap metal 48 and BigO like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Pictures would real helpful in this case!

Tim, The37Kid, BigO and 2 others like this.
  4. Custom grille, frenched headlights, dechromed and peaked and/or pancaked hood now we're getting to the point where at least de-chroming the deck and some sort of custom tail-light lenses may be in order.

scrap metal 48 and BigO like this.

5. I put 1949 oldsmobile headlights in. Shaved the door handles. And I curved the corner of the splash pan above the running board below the cab. I do not want to change the bed or fenders, just thinking about a different tail light. Maybe a 49 merc or roadmaster

Attached Files:

6. I have 1949 plymouth bumpers I plan to use also

'Mo, lothiandon1940 and BigO like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It probably doesn't need different tail lights but the right choice would look good along with the mods already done!

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  8. 296moon

296moon
    from england

They will match the front well......................

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Those would look good on the rear. Up to you how you mount them and where. Lippy

10. belair

belair

Get off before she bucks. Looks good. Too much is worse than not enough.

Hombre, Hnstray and King ford like this.
  11. If you're doing the rear, lose the tailgate chains. Retrofit some fleetside tailgate supports :D

Tim likes this.
  12. I never liked the chains, but anything else is newer than I want to use

Colonial Coupe likes this.
  13. patterg2003

patterg2003

The headlight change is subtle and once painted it will look good. There have been
    a couple trucks on here with 49 or 50 Mercury tail lights that look like they belong.
    Agree with the comments on the tailgate chains. Here is a an idea to latch for old tailgates.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/installing-cpps-hidden-tailgate-latches-on-a-1956-ford-f-100/
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/installing-hidden-tailgate-latches-1956-chevrolet-stepside/
    https://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/PDF/StealthTailgateLatchesTech.pdf
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpslk-s1/overview/

14. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

The rear should complement the front.

15. A lot of real customs (as in traditional) have he bulk of the custom work on the front.

Hombre and Tim like this.
  16. I know it's not a Chevrolet photo I think 55-56 Corvette taillights would be a good match for the Olds headlights.

upload_2020-1-10_12-21-14.png

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I disagree. Corvette tail lights look gaudy and, literally, out of place as if you used them
    because you had them.
    Don't even think about 59 Caddy tail lights.
    Keep it clean and simple. Less is more.

18. belair

belair

^^Yup-those back fenders need machine guns in those Vette bezels.

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess it depends on if you are looking at it as it shows up or sneaking up from behind

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell no on the Corvette tail lights. They look too frigging stuck on in the first place and I doubt that anyone driving behind the truck can see them from closer than 50 ft out behind the truck which isn't good in tight traffic.
    I've got photos somewhere of an AD with 49/50 Merc taillights in the rear fenders but again they may be hard to see from behind from close up.It's probably best to sit in a few different rigs behind the truck to see how well you can see the spots on the fenders where you would place the lights before installing them. Looking great isn't that great if drivers behind you can't see the lights. I have my tail lights under the tailgate on mine and the cops don't seem to like the lights I have very well or didn't until I did a lot of work to make them a lot brighter.
    I don't know what lights I am using this time. I really like the looks of 48 Car taillights under the tail gate on these trucks and may go that way or go with some burb or 37 Chevy style bullet lights in about the same location as stock AD lights. Truck will have 49 Plymouth bumpers front and rear with a 49 Plymouth Suburban rear bumper on the back with the drop down center for the license plate.

From personal experience on mine, don't cut away on the rear stake pockets to "smooth them off" or remove the bolts that hold the bed sides to the rear cross sill and weld it together to slick it off.
    This is what was the closest to perfect bedside I could find after looking at around a hundred AD truck beds that I got the idiotic idea that I needed to modify the corners to slick it off. The side rails are still really straight as I removed the bed after the welds broke too many times and replaced it with flatbed for a while. That setup cracked out in under a year of driving it in 1982.
    I like your plans and really like the Olds lights. Obviously I like the ribbed Plymouth bumpers. it sounds like you are shooting for a clean no nonsense build with no added clutter that some AD guys tend to think they need these days. less is more on these trucks for sure.

IMG_8911 (2).JPG

21. Welp, you have Olds headlights, why not 49/50 Olds tailights on the tops of the rear fenders?
    I'd go with an Olds dash too.

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good comments here....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. I missed out on a set of 49-50 merc taillights last weekend at a local swap meet because I didnt have $35 in my pocket at the time. Left and went to the bank to get the cash and they were gone.

I picked up a set of the 48 buick roadmaster taillights, but I think they are too long to put on the rear fender.

Maybe just keep the stock driver side tail light I used to run previously. I run 6v electrical so I am used to the cops and others telling me my lights are not bright. I tell the cops that if they cant see me, how did they pull me over.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There is plenty you can do to the back of that truck without going overboard. To begin, go back to the basics, meaning simple smoothing and molding. You can weld the fenders on and smooth the seams. Getting rid of the chains on the tailgate is another nice touch. Also, tucking that bumper up in the back so it's not quite so hanging-in-space looking would look good. Using some Olds parts would be a nice touch and bring the theme throughout the build. Remember, it's a custom, so you can do whatever you want. But some subtle mods can go a real long way.

25. Not exactly; OEM 55 56 57 Chevy Nomads & Station Wagons used Tailgate Cables that retracted through two lower guides.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Torchie

Torchie

You stop when it looks the way you want it too look.
    On a truck I would look at different tail lights and since you are going with the Plymouth rippled bumpers I say that you are there. On my custom truck I used two 49 Plymouth front bumpers instead of a 49 Rear bumper on the back, as it wrapped too far around the corners. I've got a freshly re chromed 49 Plymouth rear bumper stashed up in my rafters because I didn't use. it.
    Torchie

27. I would do chrome chains to match the ribbed bumper and maybe cut the center of the tailgate out and put a louvered panel in it's place, then cap and round the bottom of the stake pockets.
    All subtle changes that don't stick out like a sore thumb, think smoooooooth.

28. I'm out of my element here on the custom side but
    what about '49 Olds tail lights to match the front Olds headlights?

3612081645_239b0da50d_z.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are '50 Olds; The '49's don't have the stand-up "88" part.

30. Told you I'm out of my element here!
    But I kind of like the idea of a phantom pick up that GM never made as a custom,
    and that was the idea I had.