Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Buick starter interchange...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, Dec 31, 2019.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will a 1940 Buick eight starter fit a 1937..Got one a fellow hamber might be able to use it...thanks in advance

2. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I think they changed the starters after '37.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

From a physical dimension standpoint, I think it is likely the starter would bolt on and the drive unit is probably the same. What may be different is the solenoid. My ’38 Special starter solenoid is a bit more complex than later model solenoids in the internal wiring. For instance, it wouldn’t lend itself to operation on 12 volts without damage, unlike most 6 volt units.

I realize this post is chock full of “maybe” and “likely”, etc., but is the best I have to offer for consideration.

Ray

4. squirrel

squirrel

Let's see if Hollanders has anything to say, here.

36 to 38 and 39 to 48 interchange on the big cars. So no, it won't fit. He needs a 36-38 starter

5. oldolds

oldolds

Hollanders is a bit of a bugger for things being exact fit. If the early cars have a pedal starter and the newer cars are push button it will say it will not interchange. Things like that matter to them. You should put both starters next to each other and see how close they match up.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Hollanders does have a note on the starter for the 36-38, and there is a wider interchange listed, if you are willing to change parts such as the drive, etc. But still, they only go up to 38. They will go back to 33, so look for anything Buick 8 from 33-38, and 36-38 cad/LaSalle, or 37 Stude President.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Depends what models special/supers should interchange probably into early 50s. Roadmaster should interchange 36-52. Most probably used starter activated by pushing down on gas pedal.

8. Stooge

Stooge

I have a starter out of a '42 Roadmaster bolted up to the bellhousing for my '37 Century with 320. I dont see any issues coming up but im not planning on using the throttle pedal starter switch. I believe the small and big engine starters will physically bolt up, but the smaller engine starter doesnt have the power to efficiently spin over the bigger 320.

Screenshot_20200101-163634_Gallery.jpg