Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Identify column drop help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jdpaxton, Dec 28, 2019.

1. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I am trying to mark all of my junk and ran across one column drop that I can`t recognize. It looks like a 37 style and the gear was for cross steer. The drop was sawed off below the dash so that does not help. The top of the steering shaft tube is flared. As mentioned, the 37 style is very close except the detent screw is right above the on-off lever. The 37 detent screw is inboard more and above the lock cylinder. I tryed looking at Ebay and also the past sales and the 37 is the closest. Thanks to all

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

A picture might help!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Note the location of the detent screw hole above the on-off switch.

Attached Files:

Speed Gems likes this.
  4. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Seems like Ford may have used different sources for the column drops. Another search mentions 2 similar 35-36 drops but internals will not interchange. I found a pic of my drop and another also identified as a 37 but they also do not share internals.

5. Andy

Andy

The switch is the early style two terminal type. That is because the mounting screws are parallel. It is not 32 or 33-34 so it is 35-36. 37 on are angled. The top is cut off. It can be welded and repaired stock or extended if wanted. The switch parts are available.

6. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Andy you could be correct.(Ford did a lot of changes in the production year) Please google 1937 Ford column drop and note that none shown are the angled terminal mount. All are straight across like mine. No where have I found a 35-36 with the detent screw where mine is. The 37 type variant I found does.

7. Andy

Andy

I screwed up as usual. The 37 is still parallel. It changed in 38.
    The on off lever is one way to tell. The 35-6 lever is up for off. The 37 is down for off. The drop I have that I think is 37 has the lever detent screw on top like yours.
    I looked closer at your pictures and the switch plate looks to have off in the down position.
    P1040524.JPG P1040525.JPG

8. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Thanks. I am marking stuff I have collected over the years and this will be one less. As you reckon having individual drops and those unmarked steering tubes just laying around doesn`t help me or someone later. I am learning. I still have not quite figured out the straight slot in the ignition cup can I have verses most others with the L shaped slot. I thought 32 was a single but it can`t operate without the L slot. I was told it is early 32 but I don`t see an early 32 drop as any different. Unsolved mystery I guess.

9. Andy

Andy

The switches with the L shaped slot have the pin mounted solid to the locking shaft. They are 32-37. The later switches have the pin on the on off lever and they just have a straight slot. The locking shaft moves but the lever does not.