Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Auto or stick...but with a twist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Dec 31, 2019.

1. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

716E2E42-3679-46D3-B3DE-BB4030F3119A.jpeg Been changing gears on this Muncie in my 34 Tub since 1977 ,,nothing better,,,,,,

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    scotty t, Hombre and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. -

That one was a factory 4 speed and the 348 /350 HP.

We hit a bridge in it right before I went in the Army in 1970. There were only 1500 factory 4 speed 61's.

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I prefer a manually shifter Turbo 400 shifted with a Hurst Autostick I shifter... I always have a big motor, 454 and 462 in the photos..

I live in Pittsburgh and its all hills.. We have this new wave of mechanically retarded yuppies moving in around here that get right on your bumper at red lights..

Interior shifter.jpg Best interior shot.JPG

swade41 likes this.
  4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

56, and never owned an automatic. That's pretty much the norm where I live.

That said my dream gearbox is a manual-automatic hybrid: not so much a full-manual automatic as a manual built out of automatic parts.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The Buick is a big car, even the Special. It will never be a race car in the classic sense, but will be a good looking car for cruising and street use. I would expect that most people interested in that style of car will be older and looking for a cruiser, hence an auto would suit them more, but most would also be old enough to know how to drive a manual trans. I would use a 4m speed auto if I was building it, but you should build it for you, you only need one person to buy it so if the car is well done I bet you can sell it either way. Happy New Year, let us know what you do.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I'm 75 and I have 2 4 speed cars and 3 automatics. It just depends on the mood I'm in when I go to the garage as to which car I choose to drive that day.

dirty old man likes this.
  7. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I was in my buddies Hotrod shop last week and he builds rides for every age group. I told him I was thinking about adding a third pedal. I expected something like “Cool” or “Need some help with it?”. Instead I got a big “WHY”.

That might tell you something.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. error404

error404
    from CA

build it for you!

but if you're going to just sell it, yea probably automatic.

9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 38 Chevy in the Avatar has a four speed, I like it that way and when I built it in the 70's that was the only appropriate choice (in my mind). As I was building the Studebaker I leaned towards an automatic (after I purchased a SBC engine and 700R4). Later I purchased the third Hawk parts car to "fix" the Stude and included was a three speed with OD. If I would have had that earlier in the game that is what I would have used and maybe even used a Stude motor?? Too late now, it runs and drives around the yard until I get license and insurance on it.

10. LINE LOCK!:p

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

@ 65, my DD truck is a 5spd. I prefer the control of deciding when I need to shift, instead of leaving that descion to the (sometimes) confused computer.
    Hotrods, always a 4spd!
    :D

12. We occasionally visit West Newton Pa, southeast of P-burg, I counld imagine learning to drive a stick there.

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Admittedly, a stick is a lot more fun, except....

Once participated in a local Veterans Day Parade ('39 Ford Pickup 289/4sp). Only a 45 minute long parade, but I was directly behind the Cub Scouts and they hadn't quite grasped the concept that a parade is supposed to KEEP MOVING:eek:. Wasn't sure what would give out first...My clutch or my knee. After an hour of "cool down" the clutch was fine...can't say the same for the knee:(.

That would be my LAST 4/sp hot rod

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If my knees go out before my Nova and roadster get finished I'll hire a kid to drive.:D

20180507_083849.jpg

15. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I have a friend that has built quite a few streetrods over the years. One of his early ones he built with a stick. He sold it shortly after. When asked-he said I'll never put a stick in another car that I build as long as I live!

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

There was a previous thread that showed a semi-automatic conversion available in India. Most of my cars have manual transmissions but this would be good for my wife.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. I grew up driving a stick, but like a lotta guys on here, the knees and back don't want to cooperate. My last few cars have been automatic...

18. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I am still torn but I think I will put the automatic in it, should still be a lot of fun to drive.
    Now to decide whether to do a truck arm rear suspension or put in a jag IRS. It is getting a jag IFS, and could be a pretty good handling car in the end.

19. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Dave, does the coupe still have any of its driveline left?

20. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

there is a rear axle and part of the torque tube in it, but barely bolted in. I do have this complete extra 39 chassis though which has everything as far as rear suspension and driveline, all for sale other than the bare frame. Came from a 4dr sedan. No engines or transmissions.

059.jpg

21. I am currently building an old dragster. IE it was a dragster then got put away. The car is light, and the engine sets way back. It would be easier to build with an automatic and certainly easier to drive. I am building it with a stick. No real reason why I just am. I am well into the old guy age group.

I would buy a stick car if I was buying a car. More depends on if I like the car then what it takes to drive it.

22. Hombre

Hombre

What you are building is a Street Rod and not a traditional Hot Rod. In that traditional sense not much difference between a Mustang II and a Jag, neither belong in a traditional car build. The Jag rear can be made to work but you will need to strengthen the frame to take advantage of it. The Jag IRS has been around since 1961 ( first year it appeared in the XKE) I guess I don't see the need for it over a more traditional rear end.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That Buick had IFS from the factory, what is the departure from traditional in moving up to a more modern version of the same type suspension? And Jaguar IFS could well be well within the "traditional"crock a shit some folks want to enforce here, as they've been IFS since WWII, if not earlier.

24. I've got one of each. HRP

25. I prefer a clutch pedal in a car that screams for a manual transmission, but I'm not the one that's gonna buy your car! you're building a car that you have already said is for sale as soon as it's done. Automatic is a better choice, you'll broaden your audience in my opinion.

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put in a three speed on the column and 90% of the people couldn't drive it, excellent theft deterrent!

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Not for sale when done, in fact may not be for many years, but when the time to thin the herd comes it will not be on the "will be with me until I croak" list. Problem is I like too may different cars, cant keep them all.
    As for traditional nobody will know what is in or under the car without a closer look, that is how I like it. Unless I run mags on it the car will look like a stock 39 Buick from the outside, only a bit lower.
    Reason for the jag IFS is I have a bunch of them, they work great, and my 39 currently has no front suspension at all lol.. I put a jag IFS into my 41 Cadillac and the car drives and stops great.
    As for the jag IRS, I have I think 6 of them sitting around, but may still go with the truck arm suspension setup, just depends on what I decide on that day.

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3-speed with OD 883 3-pedal transmission going into my project '36 3W coupe and I'll be 74 in a couple of weeks.

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe has a low power 6 cylinder motor in it. I can't imagine it would be near as much fun to drive with an auto trans, so I'm sticking with the 5 speed for as long as I can stand to drive it.
    When the 6 cylinder "retires", it may get a V8. With a V8, the 5 speed may go away as well. Age has caught up with me. The last 2 rides I built were both automatic trans equipped, and the latest one will be an auto as well.

If I were to build something with the intention of selling it, there would be an auto trans in it for sure. Less then 7% of all the modern vehicles have manual transmissions. That should give you an idea of what the differences in the market are.

I also have to say, for those of you that think all automatic transmissions are power robbing, dull rides, you should test drive a modern car some day. Automatic transmissions have come a long way since 1965, and they don't require a degree in "How to drive and shift your manual transmission correctly". Gene

30. Budget36

Budget36

Interesting thought, but how did VW do it years ago? I rode on a Bug that the guy just moved the shifter handle to the next gear. Only two pedals in the car.