Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tip on Spray Cans.....and their tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Dec 31, 2019.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Everyone who has ever used the little spray cans has had the tips clog up.....and then tried various things to get them to work again. Sometimes we are successful and many times we aren't. What I started doing is when I use a can up and its still spraying decently, I immediately put the used tip on my next can and continue spraying and save the new tip that was on the new can. Then when a cantankerous can refuses to spray or sputters
    like a case of diarrhea :D......I just grab one of the tips I saved.
    I also shake new cans and then stand them upside down before storing them. I don't know that it makes any difference but thats what I do.;) DSCN1631.JPG
    DSCN1632.JPG

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I have never emptied a can of Rust -oleum. they SUCK.

warbird1 and DIYGUY like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And for a sore finger tip? It's been 2 weeks now and I still feel it! :D

mad mikey and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm!? Only air goes into the tip. Interesting.

mad mikey likes this.

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

They might SUCK, but I have had no problem with them ..........just saying.

scrap metal 48, TagMan and mad mikey like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

When your finished turn the can upside down and spray until no paint comes out the tip.

7. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

Some cans are made to spray both normally and upside-down. So I got in the habit removing the nozzle and purging it with brake cleaner...

Driver50x and mad mikey like this.
  8. ^^^Yea that seems to work ^^^ Unless like me, you are out of brake clean.:rolleyes::)

62SY4, ekimneirbo and Budget36 like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Lacquer thinner to clean nozzles. If it plugs again, grab the can, wrap your hand in a plastic bag, go out in the alley, & push into the hole with a metal coat hanger for a few seconds. (You should aim away from yourself). If it still doesn't want to spray, cover can with red rag & drive a nail into the top. Let sit for a couple hours, then use paint in a touchup gun.

mad mikey likes this.
  10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Basically that's what I do also.

mad mikey likes this.
  11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the temperature of the spray can is below 70°F. I fill a small pan with 3"- 4" of hot water from the tap and set the can in it for 15 minutes or so, shake it for a full minute, then use it. I used to get lots of clogs until I followed this procedure and hardly ever get a clog now.

I also save tips from old cans and soak them in thinner, then bolw them out. I do the same thing every time I finished spraying - pop the tip off, put it in some thinner and blow through it, then re-install it, ready for next use. You wouldn't just store a spray gun without cleaning it after use, would you ?

No idea why there's so many Rustoleum haters out there. I've used it for 40+ years and have no trouble with it. Of course, I read & followed directions on the can, too............

12. KenC

KenC

Me too, but I also keep my spare tips in a little screw top bottle full of lacquer thinner.
    About Rustoleum: The only issue I've had/have is with some that is over 30 years old. Yep, that old. I just couldn't shake it up enough to keep it from clogging. Until I started taping a can to the blade of my Sawzall! A few minutes of that and it sprays well. And, that old paint seems to cover much better than the current formula. Too bad I've only got a couple of colors and their 'Cold Galvanizing Compound'

koepsel likes this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

If they suck maybe you're doing something wrong? If they suck I presume you're filling up a can... LOL

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Bombs work great right to the end , that is , if you read the instructions.

15. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Don’t feel alone rustoleum haters, I’m with you. I guess there’s some part of “shake well and press button I just don’t understand.
    Same ‘procedure’ with Krylon works well.

16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I went back and changed my original post to clarify what I was saying. Rather than have people search back, here is what I meant. If I'm spraying something and its going to take more than one can of paint to finish the job.....when the first can becomes empty and I grab the second can...I put the nozzle from the empty can on the new can and continue spraying. The brand new nozzle goes on the shelf. That way there is no cleaning, no muss, no fuss.
    Then as was mentioned above, if the used can still contains paint I turn it upside down and spray for a moment to clear the tip. Most times thats sufficient for the nozzle to work next time. If for some reason it doesn't work, I just grab a new one off the shelf.;)

17. guitarguy

guitarguy

Me too. And I rarely have any issues. Must do it as soon as your done spraying.

I do have issues occasionally with clogs within the can itself. It might be I didn't shake it enough. Hard to say. But usually when it happens, that can is done and no longer usable.

18. ...cure for the sore finger, buy one of those trigger snap on things so you can spray like a spray gun,,,

catdad49 and Black_Sheep like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just wanna know how to get all of a can of PB Blaster or WD 40 to spray out. Always seems to be about a 1/4 can left when it runs out of pressure....

20. I guess I'm not doing it right, I rarely have issues with spray Bombs. Some are designed to be sprayed from any angle, these I don't clean at all, others I just turn upside down and clear the nozzle. Most of my paints have spent years in my unheated shop and still work fine...

21. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

With all of the starters and generators we paint after rebuild we save a lot of spray tips. You have to watch it when the grand kids come to the shop cause they immediately don safety glasses and use the air guns to have spray tip wars.......I have no idea where they got that from........ 20191231_155211.jpeg 20191231_155400.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.
  22. Has anyone worked out a way of re-fitting the "I only come off, and made not to go back on" spray tips?
    You only find out it is one of these after spraying half a can of liquid paint up into your armpit. IF I can work out that it's an unremovable tip, I invert the can into a jar of thinners so the tip is just submerged, leave for a while and then try it (usually to clog up 8 seconds later).
    I read somewhere about installing a screw cap with a Schraeder valve in it, where you can fill the can with thinned paint, screw in the valve and valve sleeve, pump it up with compressed air, and spray away.

warbird1 likes this.
  23. mickeyc

mickeyc

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have been having the can itself clog in the top orfice.
    After a few various attempts to clean and unclog it I
    got the red ass and threw them away. Even a new tip did not help once the can clogged. a big waste of product and $$$

25. gatz

gatz

coupla things I've found out about spray cans/tips...
    The temperature of the can seems to be most important to prevent clogging . It should be warm to the touch. In the shop, I put it on top of the overarm of the radial-arm saw which is just in line with the ceiling furnace output. Heats up nicely.
    If it's colder than heck out there, I'll put a small pan of water on the propane camper stove. Gotta be careful not to get it too hot; you'll know if it's too much when the bottom of the can pops out...LOL

Used tips from spent cans go into a plastic container (like for peanut butter or sunflower seeds), along with lacquer thinner to cover them. Make sure to put the lid back on.

Once had a some spray paint cans that kept clogging up. Can't remember the name right now, but called the company and did a little complaining. Asked if I could get some replacements; woman said "sure, how many would you like ?"
    I told her a handful would be nice. She sent them at no charge.
    These were the rather large white button kind.