Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Ford Waterfall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbrown, Dec 30, 2019.

1. gbrown

gbrown

So I have been documenting this little project on Facebook but decided to document it here so more of you guys could see it.

I have been wanting to put a waterfall on the dash of my 1935 Ford Slantback Sedan (pictured below) but my dash has been filled dash can be seen in 2nd picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really didn't want to cut a hole in my dash and the cost of buying and restoring a real waterfall was more than I was really willing to spend so I kind of let the idea go to the wayside. Fast-forward a few months and I have been playing around with 3d modeling software (Fusion360). I decided to try and model a waterfall (first attempt pictured below). Needless to say it kind of worked just going off of a picture from the internet.

[​IMG]

After this a friend of mine on Facebook reached out to me and told me he had a 3d printer and we could try to print it. I sent him this model and he printed it at half size in low resolution. That print took 40 minutes to do. You can see that print below.

[​IMG]

I told him I would have to find a real waterfall to get accurate measurements off of. Another friend then told me he had a real '35 Ford waterfall I could borrow and take measurements off of. In the mean time I was trying to figure out what to do with the blank space on the waterfall since I didn't have an ashtray. Then it hit me since I was making a fake waterfall I could just make my waterfall look like it had an ashtray. Here is the final render of the model.

[​IMG]

I just sent my buddy the file to print today. After I get the print back I will test fit it to the car. If it fits on the first try (fingers crossed) I will start the finishing process. I am researching several options right now. From chroming plastic to that spray paint chrome. We will see what looks the best and is most cost effective.

Now I have had a few guys ask if I would offer these up for sale after I'm done. The answer to that is 50/50. We will have to see how it turns out. I'm not about to turn out a subpar part. If I don't think its a quality piece then I won't sell them at all.

Until then its just been a fun project. I will update more as I go.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    reagen, brEad, treb11 and 12 others like this.
  2. That is kool, if ya do market them they will sell like hotcakes.

3. gbrown

gbrown

Thanks for the kind words. I’m even thinking if I do market them I will offer the cabriolet version without the crank hole for the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad, arkiehotrods, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's pretty darn inspirationally cool...

You know that saying you learn a new thing everyday...I'm gleaning that, that round V8 thing is an ashtray...:eek:

You see Stogy has a 36 Dash in the A Coupe and wasn't aware of that...I don't need an ashtray either but if it opened up I'd be a little surprised to say the least after 4 years of owning this Hotrod...;)

Look forward to the end product @gbrown...the 3D Model is exceptional...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019

5. Very cool Quinten!

arkiehotrods likes this.
  6. gbrown

gbrown

Thank you for the kind words. Try pushing on the side of your ashtray and it should spin around to reveal the ashtray.

Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it is an ashtray but while it does move very slightly it must be seized. I can feel behind and it feels 1/2 spherical with a horizontal brace halfway up with a small Stud and Nut in the center of the brace...interesting...perhaps a squirt of lubes and let it sit I'll have a new storage space... I appreciate the stuff that every 36 Owner should know...:D

0_20191230_221403.jpg

8. you could also put a clock in there.
    DSCN5196.JPG

dan31, dudley32, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. I'm just completely amazed at the potential for this sort of technology (3-D printing particularly and computer imaging as well). This tech is completely over my old head, but I am always open to learning about new stuff. It just seems that going forward this tech has boundless opportunities in regards to our cars and for sure rare pieces like the '35 waterfall, especially the open car piece. Keep us in the loop as you develop this part.............Don.

Hnstray, pprather and Stogy like this.
  10. jdcool44

jdcool44

If you ever decide to sell the stl I would give it a try on my printer.

11. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Looks great what you have done !!

12. gbrown

gbrown

Hope you can get it lubed up and spinning!

Will do. I agree about the possibilities of this new technology and these old rare parts. A buddy of mine was showing me his 35 dash that had an add on defrost duct on it that is apparently super rare He was saying that having a passenger side duct is even rarer. My first thought was I could model and print that part with little difficulty.

Will do. What type of printer do you have just out of curiosity?

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. jdcool44

jdcool44

I just have a Anet a8 . It's not much but it prints pretty nice.

14. gbrown

gbrown

I’d like to eventually buy my own but don’t know much about all the different brands so I’ve been asking who has what. Would like something that could print fairly big pieces.

15. jdcool44

jdcool44

Its $150 about 8x8x8 print area so not huge parts. But a decent cheap printer to play with.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. gbrown

gbrown

UPDATE:

Yesterday the gentleman that is letting me use his 3D printer started to print this. Below are some photos of the start of the process and the finished piece.

Cura_okcYskEIdr.png
    This is my 3d model placed into his printing software so we could tell the 3d printer how we wanted it to print this piece.

81633026_610000886418691_2414873047535190016_n.jpg
    Image of the printer information screen showing the temps that everything is at and the process. In total this took 18 hours to print.

81926757_816673702112970_1825871819656134656_n.jpg 82016133_2488846598021331_3867344117033861120_n.jpg 81463474_2479012038893588_7096320518944456704_n.jpg 81935336_2332805750302315_6443334796729909248_n.jpg 82135812_840206789764572_8908183435181293568_n.jpg 82616432_802698270227536_8818419512048091136_n.jpg 81619377_795903827489351_7241494498063155200_n.jpg
    And the printed piece directly off of the printer. Nail polish for scale. A few things to note:
    • Yes I know this is not the correct V8 emblem. I preferred the design of this one.
    • The next step is to fit this to my dash and maybe another 35 or 36 dash. I hope my measurements were good enough that I won't have to make any adjustments to the model and print another one to test fit.
    • After I am happy with the fitment I am going to start the finishing process. I will need to sand it smooth and then I have found a company in Michigan that can chrome plate 3D printed parts. After that I am going to paint in between the ribs black like in my final render posted earlier.
    So more to come but this was a BIG milestone for this project. What do you guys think?

SS327, brEad, R A Wrench and 6 others like this.
  17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Sanding it smooth looks like it will take some time. Look forward to seeing it plated. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  18. Looks great from here. I was amazed when I read it took 18 hours to print!:eek:...Is that pretty typical?

Stogy likes this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very cool and love thinking outside the box . The hole had a few things in it like a radio head ashtray and a blank as well..

Stogy likes this.
  20. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

upload_2020-1-8_11-1-8.jpeg I think it looks great! I believe painted would look fine, and chromed plastic probably the best. I
    fitted a Stewart Warner tach in mine with a little
    grinding to make the hole slightly bigger.
    Keep us up to date.
    Rich

brEad, 40FORDPU, Kan Kustom and 6 others like this.
  21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg image.jpg Great looking Dash Rich B and my 1929 roadster has a 36 dash and used a 1940s Metal products aftermarket accessories ashtray.. I’m not sure on the red jeweled light on the windshield crank hole but have this oil meter change oil gauge that will be used.

Kan Kustom, akoutlaw and Rich B. like this.
  22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Nice glove box door Rich B!

49ratfink and Rich B. like this.
  23. Looking better all the time Quinten! We print parts 3D regularly too and I agree that you will have some time in finishing the part to the level you want especially chroming it. I am all in on the idea of this working great for you. And, the overall idea is great for others as well, but if there ended up enough demand in the end, a tooled part using one like you are making as the blank could make a more finished part in less time. But, tooling is typically beyond what can make sense for return too...

Oh, and I would do the same customization too specific to the V8 emblem. Might as well make it how you like it. :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    arkiehotrods likes this.
  24. gbrown

gbrown

I still need to talk to the plater but I am hoping their process for chroming plastic will allow for me to use a filler primer to build it up a bit and then sand smooth. No matter sanding it is going to suck.

I think higher dollar printers would do it in less time. We had it laying a different way originally to be printed and laying that way would have taken 44 hours was the estimate given.

After I do this one I want to make some variants of it. I want to do a 36 version a 35 and 36 Cabriolet version that wouldn't have the windshield crank hole and then maybe try to make one that has a faux radio.

I really like how yours looks all chrome. My original plan was to paint black in between the ribs on the flat areas but after I get it back from chrome I might just leave it all chrome after seeing yours.

That oil meter change oil gauge is really cool. I've never seen that before. I have learned so much from this project that I never knew about these waterfalls.

arkiehotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. gbrown

gbrown

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think there will ever be enough demand to make it worthwhile to have this part tooled. And I think that's okay. And it really shows how this new technology can step in and fill a void for guys that want a part like this but don't want to pay the premium for a perfect original one and are okay with one like this. Now that the concept is starting to be proven in my mind I have LOTS of ideas for other parts.

The nice thing about this method in regards to the V8 emblem is if I did ever start selling these its kind of easy to customize what is there. Want the correct V8 emblem no problem. Want your initials no problem, want something else like a place to put A/C controls that's no problem as well.

26. 32fenderless

32fenderless

With the amount of time it takes to print them, then the time to finish for chrome what would be the chances of using your waterfall to create a mold and cast aluminum ones?

brEad and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had to check ebay, those things go for crazy money!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. gbrown

gbrown

I have been doing a lot of research on making a mold and casting these. Honestly I wouldn't bet on that happening. I have a list going of guys that are interested in them and so far I have 14 names on the list and 2 of those gentleman want the file so they can print their own. So I don't know if its worth the time investment to do a casting.

Yeah and the cabirolet ones go for even more money than the common ones. That is one reason I started this whole project is because I thought the price for these things were a bit crazy.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is awesome inspired Tech @gbrown and it has a place within the hobby as if all finished it replaces lost original or period details it is no different than repro parts which are a welcome albeit many times criticized necessary element of the hobby...

I love the possibilities of this evolving mechanism to create and the process still has a ways to go judging by the level of finishing still involved but it still fascinates and can't wait to see the finished product...you may make a lot of believers with the outcome...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I’ve yet to find a spray paint that looks anything like chrome.

I’ve had plastic “chromed” with the aluminum vacuum process, and that looks good, like chrome should. You’ll need a clear top coat to protect it.

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/projects/bezel/index.html

Unfortunately, it looks like the guy I worked with on these has retired.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.