Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dean “The Kid” Jeffries The master pinstriper.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Dec 29, 2019.

1. loudbang

loudbang

The man, all photos and captions from here:https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dean-the-kid-jeffries/

As usual the photos get larger and some are huge. :)

From a humble small town called Lynwood, a “kid” saw Von Dutch as an idol and followed right behind him. Minds were quickly blown away in a place in California now known as Kustomland.

Soon this kid was working with all the big names, including Barris, and fame followed. He partied hard with Dutch, but straightened himself out early on, taking his talents to the stratosphere. From sketches to finished product, this man could do it all.

Pinstriping, airbrushed monster shirts, motorcycles, scratchbuilt cars, movie work, stunts, dune buggies, and the Monkey Mobile, this cool hepcat was an old master who wasn’t afraid to speak his mind. A talent larger than life.

Jeffries working on Carol Lewis's 1956 Chevy

1a jeffries-carol-lewis-1956-chevy.jpg

Carol Lewis's 1956 Chevy Featuring Crab Claw Flames.

1b jeffries-carol-lewis-1956-chevy Featuring Crab Claw Flames..jpg

Jeffries (sporting A Perfect Fresh Cut Flat Top With Fenders) And Lewis Kick Back At An Outdoor Car Show.

8Jeffries (sporting A Perfect F.jpg

Not only a pinstriper extraordinaire he was in the movie Bikini Beach along with his "Manta Ray car. (Quite the HAM he was)

2 jeffries-bikini-beach-set.jpg

3 jeffries-bikini-beach-set.JPG

4 jeffries-bikini-beach-set.JPG

5 jeffries-bikini-beach-set.JPG

Hamming it up in Manta Ray on the set
    10 Jeffries Hams It Up While On The Set Of Bikini Beach Filming At Pomona Raceway.in manta ray.jpg

The Manta Ray Is His 1960s Masterpiece.

11 The Mantaray Is His 1960s Masterpiece. Bubble.jpg

Dutch Was First When It Came To Airbrushing Shirts, But Jeffries Popularized It. Here He’s Wearing His Own Work While Striping The R&C Dream Truck.

7 Dutch Was First When It C.JPG
    The Tailgate Of The Wild Kat Was Classic Jeffries, Combining Striping, Painting, And Lettering Featuring Abstracted Cats On Both Sides Of The Main Image.

9 The Tailgate Of The Wild Kat Was Classic.jpg

The "Flamer" Deuce Coupe Was A Collaboration Of Barris, Von Dutch, And The Kid.

13 The Flamer Deuce Co.jpg

His famous Porsche Carrera was a mix of custom and sports car ideas.

6 porsche-carrera.jpg

12 dean-jeffries-card.jpg
    14 June1957 Rod and Custom

14 june-1957-rod-and-custom.jpg

Dean Jeffries Porsche cover Oct 1959

15 dean-jeffries-porsche-cover.jpg

2. Great stuff LB. I did not know that was Dean in the movie Bikini Beach. Interesting.

2Blue2, Deuces, 51 mercules and 3 others like this.
  3. jim snow

jim snow

Cool stuff. Thanks for the bio. Snowman

4. catdad49

catdad49

All That.......and a movie star, Wow! Thanks, Banger.

5. A true master,thanks.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Awesome work all around, I looked up too what Dean did !
    I was doing striping an airbrush wild car shirts late 1950 an 60s as well,but on east coast in Florida under my art name"The Bat".
    Dean was amazing plus,my wife fell in love with the Manta Ray,when it was Seafoam pearl green at a show in Miami,that I also had a full custom in.

gnichols, lippy, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

977.jpg Dean and I in front of his shop just off the Hollywood freeway in California in 1988.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very talented, in more ways than one

10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Phil6.jpg Phil9.jpg Photo496.jpg Dean Jeffries built my 51 Mercury in the mid 50's for Phil Sauers who owned Inland Surf Surfboards and manufactured Surfboards by Phil which were used in Gidget,The Monkees and numerous surfing movies like Ride the Wild Surf and Bikini Beach. He was also a technical advisor for the surfing seen's. Von dutch striped the dash on my merc unfortunately it's missing. I only talked to Dean on the phone about my merc, sadly he passed away before I got a chance to meet him.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

[​IMG][​IMG]A couple of pic's.

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Really a very nice guy too. We were in CA some years ago visiting my sister in Woodland Hills. So off we went to see Barris but his shop was closed. We found Jefferies shop and were looking through the fence, didn't look open either. A guy comes out and tells us "Dean says to come in". Hell it was great, we were just visiting car guys from NH but he showed us the shop, told us stories, posed for pics. A memory I will never forget.

14. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

To my eyes, as talented as any of the old masters, such as Dutch, Watson, Barris, and a good eye for the chicks too. R.I.P.

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I knew Dutch airbrushed the first t-shirts-it was obvious by reading the little books-photos of him with airbrush appeared before the early Roth ads showed up.

So I asked Dean about it. He said, "Well, I had a friend, Kenny Howard, we hung out after work, and he introduced me to the airbrush". I asked, "What about Roth?". Dean said, "We'd never heard of him".

That told me, that while Dean may not necessarily have been the first, he surely didn't get the idea from Roth. But Roth did get the idea from Dutch and he said so.

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

My wife and I were at Dean's shop to ask him to panel paint one of my motorcycles. When we walked into his shop area we walked in front of this car. He had installed some sort of motion detector so when you passed directly in front of the radiator it would make the sound of a frog. it took us awhile to figure out where the "ribbitt" was coming from.

17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

monkeemobile with stage trailer.jpg Here is a picture of the Dean Jeffries built Monkeemobile that is a little rare. As Monkee Mikey Dolenz writes in his book of Jeffries showing up to the studio where the Monkees filmed their show for the first time in the car with this little matching trailer attached. The Monkees loved the car but when they inquired about the trailer they were told it was portable stage so when they go to play at a new supermarket opening and such they would play on it. The group laughed and as they walked away told them what they could do with their portable trailer and playing such events on it. Dolenz in his book pondered what became of it after that as it was never seen by them again.

19. rooman

rooman

The day that I stopped by in late 1988 Jeffries was away working on a movie but Keith "Kid" Dean was there and I hung out with him for a while comparing notes on how we chopped roofs before he sent me to visit with his legendary dad, Dick.

Roo

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

When I was there he had just finished doing the cars for the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Dick Tracy. Can't quite remember. I do remember in a room in the front of his shop sat the Manta Ray. My late wife had no idea who he was but soon found out and was in awe of the room the Manta Ray sat in was covered from top to bottom of signed 8x10 framed pictures of all the celebrities and who's who of Hollywood he had built cars for. I have a picture somewhere of him leaning against the Manta Ray in that room. Outside his shop sat various cars used for movies including the tank that was used in the movie Damnation Alley.

21. rooman

rooman

The Manta Ray was there when I stopped in but it had that horrible paint with the pastel color graphics-so glad that it is back in its original color now. The flamed Tudor was parked in about the same place as in your photo and was what alerted me to the shop when I drove by on the 101.

Roo

22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

Don't forget the '64 Dodge Chargers he customized and painted red, white and blue. The roots of the Funny Car class can be traced back to those 3 cars.

lippy, stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  24. deucemac

deucemac

I was attending a GM school in Burbank in the 70's and had time to kill. I ended up Dean's shop across the freeway from Universal Studios. He invited me in like a long lost brother. At the time, he was fabricating the vehicle for Damnation Alley. There was a 1 inch square tube skeleton on the chassis and they were just starting to skin it. Dean spent a couple of hours explaining the construction features to me, all by myself! Hen the movie came out, I was eager to explain about the car to anyone that would listen. Now it resides at Gene Winfield's very near to my home! I have had several talks with Gene about how Dean built it. Dean was a painter, pinstriper, fabricator, and engineer all wrapped in the most nice guy suit you ever wanted to meet. Fortunately, I got to talk to him a few more times before his death, always an honor.

25. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

I wonder where the flamed chopped and sectioned Tudor ended up? What a gorgeous car(cept maybe for the wires, but those were the times).

loudbang likes this.
  26. I had the chance to speak with Dean at The Autorama years ago...I asked him about this pick...I said something like “those were all good girls back than” and he’s laughs and says “ oh they were good all right and we tried to #*#* everyone of em”....we talked painting and pinstriping...yet I still remember the girl comment best...

27. RIP Dick Dean....Southend Kustoms..Downriver Legend...

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He had one of the rarest Ford GT40`s ever built for many years. I remember reading he was fixing a broken sewer line in his front yard. He had a cut on his hand and it got infected. He said the shit dammed near killed me. His wife said he didn`t like paying anybody when he could do it himself.

loudbang likes this.
  29. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

30. v194

v194
    from The South

I was fortunate to call him a friend. I visited the shop and several of us took him and his wife to lunch then went to the Petersen museum to see his cars. Spent the whole day with him. I would later call him monthly to check in while I was restoring his car and he would give me advice over the phone and answer questions. Super nice and full of knowledge. He said "if you ever want to know who built a car just ask me." I own one of his creations, one of the two Green Hornet Black Beauty cars he built for the 1966 TV show. www.theblackbeauty.com