Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 MERC DASH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tyeager55, Dec 30, 2019.

1. tyeager55

tyeager55

Trying to put a 49 Merc dash into my 50 Merc. Any suggestions????
    Thanks Terry
    870 365 6080

2. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Should bolt right in the biggest issue will be the wiring harness. If it is old you may end up replacing it or this would be a good time to replace it.

3. tyeager55

tyeager55

We haven't been able to get it in place. Also, the steering column is over about an inch.

4. 1pickup

1pickup

My suggestion is that you are doing it backwards. The '50-'51 dash looks much better, smoother, etc., than the '49. The gauge pod looks like an afterthought on the '49. My '49 will be running a '50-'51 dash.

5. Squablow

Squablow

That sounds like it might be an issue with the car and not the dash. Is it the original column and box? What exactly does not fit?

Also keep in mind, the '49 Merc dash is a super popular swap into other cars, are you sure your '49 dash wasn't modified for use in a different body?

6. 49 Dash is shorter top to bottom so lower corner mount bolt needs to be moved. Just loosen the steering box at the frame so it can float a bit. The emergency brake is not going to bolt up as is so be ready for that. Once the dash board is mounted lift steering column up and modify the mount. The steering wheel will be a bit higher, you'll get used to it. If you have the 49 E-Brake unit I believe it will connect to the cable without any problems but not sure. Been to long but I know I made it work without to much grief. Wiring is wiring you'll just have to sort that out as needed. Heat and defrost, hope you have a plan there. The 50 stuff don't just connect to the 49 stuff.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.