Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anvils, do you have one - or more?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 28, 2019.

1. [​IMG]No, but thanks for sharing. I here ACME makes a good one.:rolleyes: lol. My grandad would tell me, { Boy, you could break up an Anvil } I'm not sure what ever happened to his anvil, so maybe I did.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have an anvil that I bought about 55-60 years ago from an old retired farmer for about $5-10 IIRC. No name on it that I've ever noticed, and I'm guessing about 75-80#. It has the holes in the top on the end opposite the "horn". Gonna have to take a closer look, but I've also never noticed any sort of hard steel overlay on top as has been mentioned here.
    The edges down the sides are somewhat beaten down and rounded like most of those in this thread. Have often wondered about building these edge corners up with weld and then either carbide milling or grinding back sorta squaring up the edges. Was told on another forum once that ordinary mild steel mig welding wire would be OK to use, but with folks here talking about tool steel tops, I'm wondering about that.
    Your thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Okie Pete and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Very nice stand for it. I have mine on the standard issue tree stump but I like this

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No wonder I cannot find an affordable one.

HOTRODPRIMER, neilswheels and Truck64 like this.
  5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

went to an auction yesterday. guy had 10 for sale. highest bid was $1200. guy bought 2. rest went between $300-600 ea.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a hoarder/collector issue out where I am.

They rarely come up for sale, in worthwhile condition. When they do, they are often upwards of $2,000.

I can buy a Bridgeport Series 1, with a decent DRO, and some tooling for what a Peter Wright goes for here.

HOTRODPRIMER and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Dad said, that boy could brake an anvil with a rubber hammer

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Always wanted one, but couldn’t justify the stupid money that they bring at auctions around here. Made do with the sections of RR track like everybody else.

Finally found one I could afford. It’s an 80# Vulcan. Not the best anvil out there, and it needs a little cleaning up. Probably more anvil then I will ever need.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and biggeorge like this.
  9. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

IMG_20190825_151626.jpg I just picked up this one. Supposed to be from the late 1800's.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well don't break it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Don’t see myself doing any heavy blacksmithing (even though my garage was used as the carriage house/blacksmith shop for the farm), so it’s pretty safe. Although, I have been known to break some pretty unbreakable things!

HOTRODPRIMER, Black_Sheep and Truck64 like this.
  12. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Is that a Fisher Norris? If so, those are pretty good anvils. Mostly noted for their lack of sound, some smiths refer to them as sounding like a sack of cement. That has created a following of such for those anvils.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Yes, it does say Fisher cast into it. It's a 250 pound, but was told it was late 1800's, but now think it is early 1950,s. I also got some Pexto stuff that sorta fits in the hardy hole with it.

HOTRODPRIMER and dirty old man like this.
  14. NORSON

NORSON

This is my Hay Buden. I originally thought it had the base broken off, but have since seen pictures of two others complete with holes. One was welded to a tubular base and the other welded to what looked like a truck brake drum. I'm thinking they were made this way for a special purpose such as for ship or railroad maintenance and the holes were for mounting them. I bought it from a trinkets and trash vender at a swap meet. The steel block may end up as a base for it.
    Norm
    P3190218.JPG

15. I got one hardly ever use it. paid $25 at a yard sale. Its kinda beat up. don't know what brand. I was also wondering about welding it up? Reminds me of a tall tale. These really stupid & dumb guys where out exploring and came across a old well they could not see the bottom. so they threw some rocks down and never heard any splash. Decided they needed something larger. There was a anvil nearby. So naturally they pushed it into the well. They where amazed & gobsmacked when a goat went hurtling past and jumped head first down the well. Just then the land owner came up. He asked hey did you guys see a goat. Gotta be around here someplace? anvil 001.JPG anvil 002.JPG anvil 003.JPG I had it tied to a anvil?

16. 1953naegle

1953naegle

1568418953713-1241705787.jpg 15684189822242019959384.jpg
    I think my dad bought this little Peter Wright from a horse shoe'r in California before my time. It's always been our shop and is a nice size for the little bit of blacksmithing (if you can call it that) we do in our machine shop.
    Someday I want to cut that plate off the back as it seems to be in the way more than anything else.

Okie Pete, HOTRODPRIMER and quick85 like this.
  17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Anvil, no. Ball & chain, yes.

HOTRODPRIMER and neilswheels like this.
  18. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I just saw a few at an antique store over the weekend $450-$650.00 I had no idea, I just assumed if the owner didn't want it and you could move it, price would be reasonable, man was I wrong.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. 1569964699919558491676.jpg
    As found, forty bucks. Doesn't ring.
    Had to carry it out, 100 feet or so to the truck! Probably more anvil than I can use. Going to mount it in a good place.

20. Always wanted one...never had one. I've always made do with the mini anvil on the back of my vice.

21. I would say this gentleman has a slight obsession.

Probably a lifetime collection, HRP

[​IMG]

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

At current market prices that's practically an individual retirement account.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

My 80 pounder is a Columbian Hardware Co. Anvil made between 1905 and 1920 out of Cleveland, Ohio.
    I can not find the meaning of the H on this side, but it has the trademark C in a triangle on the other side. I have fixed the chips and use it weekly. Don't mind the tape, that helps not to mar the spoons.
    MrC.
    Anvil.jpg
    20191006_134636.jpg 20190929_193104.jpg

Attached Files:

24. hotroddeuce

hotroddeuce
    from Mi

here's my cool patina one on our TV cabinet :D
    [​IMG]

stack in the garage
    [​IMG]

couple broken ones that I actually hauled out of the scrap yard years ago, then a homemade one out of a piece of rr track.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Jim kirk

Jim kirk

26. Jim kirk

Jim kirk

This is one that I used to pound on as a kid at grandma's house. I dont know anything about it but it says Trenton and 138 below. My brother in law lost his house recently and I was helping clean up when I came across this anvil again so I had to bring it home with me and I will clean it up and maybe someday the grand kids can pound on it.

27. IMG_1924.jpg IMG_1925.jpg IMG_1926.jpg

Just upgraded the anvil collection over here. Brought home this pretty clean Acme anvil. Guy that sold it thought it was 80 pounds, feels more like 100. Crappy paint job, but solid anvil. Has a hole in the front of the foot. Anyone know what that is for?

28. mopacltd

mopacltd

Now you guys got me going. I will head to the basement and see if there is a name on the side of my anvil. I have 2, 1 being the railroad rail version, but the other is a real 80 or so pound one

29. I did a quick bit of online research. Trenton stamped the actual weight in pounds on the foot of their anvils. Many of the English made anvils were stamped with 3 digits, widely spaced, on the side of the anvil. These were hundredweight (112 lbs) for the first digit, quarters of hundredweight (28 lbs) for the second digit, and additional pounds for the last. So 1 1 10, would be 150 lbs (112+28+10).

30. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Here is one i am making out of a section of rail track. I have some finishing to do. thumbnail (5).jpg