Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got a break on ebay...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE-3137, Jun 28, 2006.

1. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Here's a good ebay story for a change. You might remember my post about a month ago regarding the Miller tig welders, anyway I found a used Miller 180SD on ebay and won the auction for 1150.00 with free shipping, a pretty decent deal on its own.

Problem was kept waiting and no welder. and in the meantime the seller dropped off ebay "no longer a registered user" and I had paid with a cashiers check too, so I figured I had been burned seriously, and was a total moron for not being more careful. He only had a few transactions and his feedback wasnt great either, but I really wanted that welder so I took a chance. When I would email, he would say he was held up on this or that, or was out of town etc, but at least he would respond. Then finally I got this email:

"just wanted to let you know that you got a brand new under warranty 3 year to be exact miller syncrowave 200 better than the one that you won on my auction I took money out of my pocket quite a bit actually cause I could not find you that model we kinda had an accident a friend and I were messing around and it crapped out on us so you got a brand new top of the line model
    enjoy!"

And he did just that, it came in Friday, and i've already laid down some pretty decent beads with it, but still have a lot to learn, here's a shot of it with my Mig and plasma cutter, these all replace my old stuff that was trashed by Katrina.

[​IMG]

Now I tried to send him a thank you at least, and all of his email addresses I had are shut down, like he's dissappeared of the face of the Earth.

Anyway there are some good folks out there for sure.....

2. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Congrats...

It could be stolen though...

3. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

was it still warm when you touched it?:D :D

that's a heck of a welder....very cool

4. banjorear

banjorear

Great story. I'm glad to hear it. My experience (so far, knock on wood & all that shit) with car folk and real world working people has been excellent. Even in this computer age, there are people that will stand by their word.

Your story was an awesome way to end this shitty ass day!

5. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

thos emiller carts..suck my asshole. i have a cart for my small 135..and id rather carry the damn thing around than try to wheel it.

but...im no expert welder and that small little 135 has done everything i needed on my sedan, fathers beenwelding for a while....said the thing lays down beads better than most welders hes ever used.

6. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Ha, hope not, but it was still new in the box on a pallet so he would have to break in a store with a crane, it weighs 275 pounds....:)

7. wow, freaky in a way...but way cool.

8. anything you buy on ebay could be stolen. good to see there are some good people out there.

9. Yeah wierd as hell story, sounds like maybe he was trying to skip out on everyone and another buyer traced him down, scared him straight. That's happened a lot of times.

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

sweet deal...who cares where it came from as far as you know it is legit.

11. FYI - I deal with a welding shop in Irving. They just recently told me that the Syncrowave 180 was known to have some internal flaw and that the 200 corrects the problem. The exact problem he would not say. If that is true, it sounds like you may have lucked out.
    Tony

12. duke182

duke182

congrats on your deal.
    too bad so many people are crooked that you can't tell a happy ending without people questioning the motives or the out come.

13. Big Tony

Big Tony

Sounds to me like you got a scheeeet deal and that the guy did you right in the long run. Well worht the extra wait huh. Man its good to hear a good ebay story

Big Tony

14. sounds like a real stand-up guy..what is his ebay name?

15. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Wasn't trying to say it was stolen, just first thing that came to mind....sad isn't it.

Most probably it is Karma in action.

Good luck with it.

16. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Good deal! How's the plasma cutter next to it work. I have had my eye on one for a while know. Was it from ebay also?

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great to know that not all Ebay stories are horror stories. Knock on wood, I've got over 140 Ebay purchases and only one has given me any problems, but it was taken care of in a timely manner, guy even sent me some money back for my inconvenience.

Frank

18. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Thats the thermal dynamics 51, works awesome...ive gouged out gobbed on welds that were about 3/4 inch thick with it, and cuts 1/4 plate with ease, worth every penny to me, I bought it from weldingsuppliesatoic on ebay along with the Miller 175,

36 3w the Tig guy was nwweldingsupplies on ebay, he's no longer registered though.

19. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

It makes no sense for a thief to steal a welder to fulfill the sale of a used welder that crapped out. A thief would just keep the money and not risk stealing a welder!

But what do I know... ;)

Mike

20. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i envy you.....