Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Chevy power brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Dec 28, 2019.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just repeating what I read in a couple of different places, I think the
    Speedway catalog was one of them.

2. All depends on wheel cylinder construction. There is a lot of misinformation on brake systems. Probably the reason there is so many “why don’t my brakes work” threads

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Moriarity likes this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

To backup what 57Fargo said: I had a 1959 Ford F250 that I converted to a dual master cylinder. Replaced the wheel cylinders and flex lines at the same time. It would occasionally suck air into a wheel cylinder (usually the fronts) and the brakes would pull to the side. Bleed the wheel cylinders and it would stop straight. I put a 10 PSI valve in the front brake circuit and an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake circuit. Drove it for several more years without any more brake problems.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I drove a 57 Chevy with factory power brakes for years with 4 wheel drums. Even pulled a trailer a few times with no issues.
    The disc brake conversion was easy on the last one I did. Took about an hour per side. 2012-01-01 00.01.27.jpg 2012-01-01 00.00.40.jpg

5. There were power drums long before there were power discs. I would run it that way and never give it a second thought. You do want to make sure that your drum brakes are not wore slap out if you expect them to work though.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Just switch out the master for a late 60's early 70' s Chevelle drum/ drum master, no other add ons needed.

7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

With some drum/disc conversions I figure out when the make and model of car I am working on switched to disc and sometimes you can change the disc spindles over and everything else can follow. Did this on a 63 Cadillac used 69 Cadillac disc set up as I think it was the first disc brake year .
    Everything was a direct bolt on. I used the master, proportioning valve,spindles etc. Reused basically only the spindles and backing plates and other stuff - the rest I exchanged for cores.
    It is getting really hard (impossible)to find parts cars. But when you copy the way the factory did things it usually works well.
    I have a 58 Edsel and it’s common knowledge that 58-64 Fords can use early 70s Ford disc brake set ups- but its hard to find a donor car. Oftentimes oem drum rims won’t fit disc rims so take those also.

8. TimCT

TimCT

Another vote from the 'it'll be fine' crowd. I had a '51 Chevy 3800 wrecker once upon a time, and the garage that ran it back in the day added a Hydrovac, with all the stock components. The truck stopped great.