Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser 4spd transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratrodjay, Dec 22, 2019.

1. flatout51

flatout51

Russco and loudbang like this.
  2. I suppose you could just put a automatic in it? Me I happen to like dumping the clutch at 6 grand and wondering if the 318 Muncie is gonna explode this time.. I can change the trans before they get the mess cleaned up from the track.

Quain Stott, loudbang and Finn Jensen like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You missed my point.

4. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

It depends on the rules of the class that you are racing at. If you want to be competitive, sometimes you need to leave purity behind and go with the best technology allowed by the rules. If the rules allowed a Lenco, I would go for it

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it would be very period correct to carry along a spare 4 speed to the track to be able to swap it out after you break the one in the car if you run that "OMG, LOOK the dude has one of those old __________ 4 speeds that is so period correct" in it.
    Breaking parts at the track with a gasser would be very period correct. Not breaking the trans every third run would be a hell of a lot more fun.

7. Hren59

Hren59

Look into autogear out of Syracuse. They make Muncie based 4 speeds which can handle real power.

8. Ive learned that whatever is the weakest link in the drivetrain is what breaks. First went the spider gears. Then a 9 inch was installed and those spider gears broke . Those got welded and then it was U joints. So a bigger yoke from a truck and bigger U joints. Then it was the transmission. Couldn't afford a better stronger trans. So I went to smaller rear tires and the breakage abated.

loudbang and Finn Jensen like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

All you did was lower your "personal bar", most racers are more competitively inclined.

10. If we are talking traditional, what about a clutch hydro? What kind of automatics were used? Torqueflite? GM Hydramatic?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

GuyW likes this.
  11. I think they used a clutchflite as well,,,,bad dude !

Tommy

12. 327Eric

327Eric

So you guys that want to race a period car can use a new racing transmission that may resemble something old, but was not available back in the day, but a guy with a car that doesnt have any major parts newer than 1968 can't run because his 4 speed was stolen and he has to run a 727 behind his 413.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Run a poor man's Lenco, a clutch turbo. David Kee with sell you a big block input shaft top loader.

14. Yes indeed you are 100% correct. Well I was a 15 year old kid with a $65 dollar 56 ford. A purloined 300 HP 352 and made my money picking up soda bottles and selling them at the very same store that I now own for 2 cents each and hauling and stacking small square bales of hay in a barn for 3 cents a bale. How did I drive a welded spider gear locked rear on the street? I ground the splines from the drivers side axle. had a spare axle I used drag racing. Took off my 15 inch grip spur knobby tires and put on 14 inch smooth tread and did not kill any more $20 transmissions.

Hombre, Brian Penrod, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Most of the Southeast Gasser guys are running the Hightower or the G force. As for being period correct that's impossible to do and it hold up any length of time if you have much power no matter if a manual or automatic. We like the Hightower because he has one version that looks like a ford top loader so when a fan looks under the car that's exactly what he see's. G Force looks like a T 10 under the car so it looks correct also. It's the look everyone is after to be correct. I had a t 10 with Doug Nash gears that was 100% era correct and it shifted better than any of the modern transmissions do. If a manual is used and the clutch is used to shift it will still have to be man handled so it will feel era correct and the fans will love it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^ There's your answer, from "The Man" himself! ^^^^^^

bobss396, Quain Stott and loudbang like this.
  17. derbydad276

derbydad276

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

You would do better by calling Hightower. Liberty will fix a toploader and make special parts for one.
    If you need a period correct looking transmission. G-force or Hightower is your best bet.
    They are making a hopefully stronger input shaft for my top loader. The trans already has their stuff in it.

19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

A good friend of mine used to race a 68 camaro in stock, in the 70s-80s. He ran muncies behind a built 327. I asked him how he made the Muncie survive. He laughed, said, the only time he could drive it on the trailer a the end of the day was if they got rained out! Said he got VERY good at rebuilding them.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. derbydad276

derbydad276

Liberty started in the 60's and has been making 833's ... Top Loaders and Muncie's Bullet Proof since then

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  22. Clik

Clik

The Turbo 400 was around in 1964 but I don't think the SE Gassers Association allows them. I think they're skeered of one legged pirates who don't do clutch pedals. ;)

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

The clutch pedal eliminates those who aren't coordinated enough to use three pedals to drive.
    My old Gasser had a powerglide and except for the burnout and wheel stand it was boring to drive.
    I even put a delay box in it so I could run Super Gas and super pro bracket's . That's why their are no slush boxes in the Southeast Gassers. faded memories.jpg

Quain Stott and seb fontana like this.
  24. A gasser never ran a 700+ horse 327 either. Lets get real a nostalgia car is not a traditional car. There is a very large chasm that separates the Nostalgia Circus (no offense intended) and vintage/traditional racing. To quote @swade41 "nothing is what it seems under the sugar coat"

I really want a lenco by the way. Someday when I am rich. LOL

OK I know that there are rules that one must live by but just to be the devil's advocate here (and no offense at all to mr Scott much respect sir you have earned it). If a clutch is what separates the men from the boys then a clutch flite would be way closer period than what is being used and it does have a clutch. ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  25. Phil1934

Phil1934

I also think they don't allow a 6-71.

Mark Yac likes this.
  26. The 400 turbo was Buick and Cadillac in '64 and Chevy and Olds in '65. My info does not mention Pontiac.

If your governing body specifies 4 speed or standard transmission that is going to be a rule that is a little hard to stretch. Racing often involves bending the rules to the max without breaking them but some of the rules are too simple to get around. @Quain Stott gave the best answer/option on the thread. I have tossed out some conjecture just for grins, but I would go with Mr Scott's reply as my guide book.

Quain Stott likes this.
  27. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

X5 on a Hightower.. he will gear it to your engine also.. makes a big difference launching and pulling out the back door. cant beat the strength and are great folks to work with.

28. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

Yeah Sega has no gs class yet. I also have a 60's Jackson mechanical fuel injection unit as well. Automatics aren't as fun as 4spds, I'll probably start with a Ford top loader, maybe find something better used later. I'm not spending $5,000+ on transmission, maybe some other time...lol. I can only do what I can afford... I've already stretched that too. Also Thankyou to everyone who replied! Lots of valuable information here. I've learned quite a bit, Thanks.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf likes this.
  29. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

Between 600-700hp. I believe Augie Delgados 66 nova is around 550hp with a 327, heavily worked camel hump heads and a Jackson mechanical fuel injection unit. I have all the same parts including the Jackson fuel injection unit/manifold. (I'm collecting parts for a 6-71 blower addition...vintage manifold, drive, good 6-71 etc). Sega will eventually have a gs class...I believe anyway.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. That is not real likely, maybe in the 70s not in the '6os. When gassers were still running short stroke small blocks 400 horse was a ton.

I did not say that you were not squeezing big ponies from a 327 what I said was that gassers never ran big horse small blocks. Granted being on a traditional hot rod site I always assume that the people posting understand that we are talking tradition.

Old wolf likes this.