Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steel tube for motor mount (where to get)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Hey guys, havnt posted in a while. I’ve been looking everywhere and I can’t seem to find this. The simplest thing, I need some steel tube for Sbc motor mounts that fit the factory style rubber mount with 7/16 bolt. Everything I find online or locally is too thin,or just slightly too small ID. I need 12” of it to make mounts for 2 engines (each mount is 3”

mice looked and looked, I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t run out of ideas. I plan on making the rest of the moung I just want the steel tube. Any leads fellas?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have an idea to the type of set up your speaking of. It would help if we knew what O.D. your looking for.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I have some drops of 4130 Chrome Moly tube. Not sure if I have any 7/16" I.D. But I could check. What O.D. are you looking for? Downside of the 4130 is that it should be welded using TIG.

BTW...if I don't end up having what you need, you can order small amounts of 4130 from Wicks Aircraft or Aircraft Spruce at reasonable prices.

Lynn

4. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Are you looking for tubing with 7/16 i.d.? If thats what you want I think metal depot has dom tubing with that id.

5. Like I said the bolt is 7/16, so... 7/16

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Where in California?
    You should be able to swing a dead cat and hit a steel supplier.
    Even a local machine shop could whittle that out of solid stock or 5/8" or 3/4"x3/8" I.d. tubing.
    A few more details would help us make more suggestions.

chasmalo likes this.
  7. yeah something a 7/16 bolt can fit in and maybe like 7/8 OD? Something sorta thick but I only have MIG
    I did find something online but it only had 5thou clearance I don’t know how well the bolt would fit

8. I’m not sure what more details are needed, I’ve already contacted many steel shops and all of them do not have it. They all seem to have 7/8 ID and I’m sure a machine shop will charge more than the pipe is worth. Trying to avoid buying motor mounts Or paying the 80$ price tag for pre fab

I might try the .437 id, the bolt is .432 but seems like it would be tight

9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

10. .156 wall seems a little thin for a mount don’t it? 5thou clearance sounds about right? For the bolt vs tube ID

11. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Fwiw. I had the same issue a few years back. I went to the local John Deer implement with a bolt and told em what I needed. They ended up having some 3 inch peices that were pretty think. They said it was a bushing for something that I don't remember. Was actually a little bit bigger than the bolt, but when installing a motor, it's nice to have a little wiggle room.

12. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

.156 seems thin but its thicker than typical ford frame rail material

13. well, you ain’t wrong haha
    Just want it to hold up, this will be 450hp

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metal Depot shows the size that Studebakerjoe showed in two ft sticks but at 25 and change it is spendy. https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-round-tube-dom
    The steel yard I go to usually has some short rems of thick wall small diameter tubing on the rack. There is a lot of specialty farm equipment manufacturing around here that calls for stuff like that.

15. So you trying to build something like this ?
    28C6A211-D912-4095-91EB-EDEB1C216CA7.jpeg 78D31B18-1079-4EB2-A787-CBFD3C82FECF.jpeg

16. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Mr48chev, I agree about the price I work at a scrapyard and if model A hooligan has one nearby it would be the first place I'd check. I know we get it all sorts of pieces and you can pick it up for pennies a pound.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking about it those tubes for the mount bolt on those universal tubular motor mounts aren't all that thick.

18. well sort off. But that top one you pictured,is the tube part I want

it will be welded on the frame with some pieces, and it will slide into the factory early style chevy mounts (the rubber pad with 2 elongated ears)

19. I use tube that is 1" OD with 1/4" hole and after I cut it to length; I run a 29/64" drill thru it.

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I bought mine on ebay when I built my mounts. I think I found them under steel sleeves or spacers. Found them in 7/16 id and a couple different od's.

They were actually machined pieces not tubing. Cheap too, I think a like 4 bucks for 3" long pieces.

21. got a link? I’ve been searching high and low on ebay with not much results

all I’ve found so far is 0.125 wall. I’d like a little thicker

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With free shipping that will do it.

24. Got any connections to a lath? Get some 3/4", 7/8" or even 1" bar stock and cut the 3" long pieces you need and drill a 7/16' hole through them. You could even use some hardware bolts of proper length of shank and o.d.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  25. nope

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Depending on the end wall thickness chosen and the amount of distortion from welding you more than likely will still need to run a drill (or reamer) through it after welding.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  27. that one I found being 5 thou clearance, I’m guessing you’d probably be right. Good point

28. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

1/2 in. schedule 80 black pipe.... I would give you a piece if I was closer...

LynnW