Register now to get rid of these ads!

You think building a hot rod is expensive???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Jun 27, 2006.

1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

On a similar note, I made my first rare find for cheap in 40 years of flea marketing Friday.

Not nearly as valuable as the compass, but I asked the vendor how much for that tach? "5 bucks"... 5 bucks? That's cheap for a rusty Dixco tach. I was right and it's a genuine Chevelle "knee knocker" accessory tach. 5700 red line so I don't think it's a BB tach but I paid $250 for a nice one almost 10 years ago. That final piece to a 396-360HP 4 sp SS convertible.

Unlike Clark, I've always had to pay market value for my shit. This may put a few bucks on the black side of the ledger. I'll be checking compasses from now on too.

2. Tim Irwin

Tim Irwin

I'm sure that there arent many jalopy builders bidding on that part!

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's true. Guys bitch and blat about how much everything is, but if you get your ass out the swap meets--and I mean get there EARLY, not after your hangover wears off--you can still find some damn good deals. The key is to be like Tommy and know what you're looking at.

4. sawzall

sawzall

I agree.. I save for ALONG time to get an accessory wheel for my olds.. I would love to have a gm compass like that.. I think someone even repops them.. for now I will have to settle with my airway..

[​IMG]

5. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

man sawzall you gotta change that wiper button!!

Anyway,
    There is a lowrider guy in town, he gets alot of stuff,
    Since I'm on the main street in town, I get alot of stuff too,
    It is funny cause the lowrider stuff to me is kinda junk,
    and the hot rod stuff to him is kinda junk,
    so we tradenswap for each others junk,
    and we both always think we how we scored off each other

tp aka zibo

6. Squablow

Squablow

I love those bombs, I've got a couple in the works right now. They do pay big $ for the "OG" accessory shit.

Did you ever talk to one of those bomb guys though? They go to a show, they have their whole family with them. Guaranteed there is a line of those cars in every wedding photo. Passing down the lowrider tradition from father to son is exponentially more important than winning a trophy or finding a new part. It's really a family thing, and I always thought that was cool. You don't find that in a lot of other hobbys.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"It's true. Guys bitch and blat about how much everything is, but if you get your ass out the swap meets--and I mean get there EARLY, not after your hangover wears off--you can still find some damn good deals. The key is to be like Tommy and know what you're looking at."

Amen, HEATHEN !! Although, I don't even get there early anymore. Last weekend, I got to a swap meet about 2-hours after it opened and found a very dirty set of four Cal-Custom 15" inner trim rings, tied together with an ancient piece of string,......for $10.00. About an hour's worth of work with some chrome cleaner and they're close to perfect ! A few tables later, I found a set of porcellain Mobil restroom signs ("Men's" and "Ladies") for $40.00, in excellent condition.

About ten years ago, I picked up a 15" Cities-Service / Crew Levick gas globe on the last day of the Hershey fall swap meet, for $40.00 and sold it on Ebay for $1100.00 !! Ten thousand people must have walked past that globe, sitting in the mud and dirty as hell. A little bit of cleaning and it looked great.

Look as hard or harder, UNDER the tables, as you do ON the table.

8. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

..they (the Vatos building the BOMBAS)...

..dont fuck with them,,,they are on their own trip,,,

....their thing is PURE,,,,either you KNOW or dont KNOW....

...why dont you just stick with the latest "FADS" as you are acostomed too,,,,,,......

9. Powerband

Powerband

Bomb - ? - (?) why' s it need a frickin hi $$ compass - ? seriously ... PB

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

why??? why not,,who cares????

why??? why do people wear $1000 loafers,while others go hungry for food days at a time!

why do goldchainers primer their cars flat black and put white walls on their 65 thousand dollar cars so they can get more attention to help fulfill their pittyfull lives trying to fing happeness in the fullfillment that OTHER PEOPLE think they are KOOL!?!?!???

why oh why oh WHY?????

,,,why do YOU get on this computer every night and actually CARE about what some JACKASS 1689 miles away from you says that you will PROBABLY never EVER meet???

...those are the answers to the qustions i would like to know!

...:D:D:D:D:D

11. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

yeah its crazy i never thought that shit was so exspensive... i shit my pants at long beach when my friend was showing me how much visors and shit were.....