Register now to get rid of these ads!

Print Finally Died

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 9, 2019.

1. the flatlander

the flatlander

Well, I personally don't think it's any of (our) fault that any of the not any more magazines are around, it's big business as mentioned above. The internet hasn't taken over print , it's just maybe harder to find. Yea, I like many read Street Rodder (same ol same ol), because of the Hot Rods covered. Not because of the slack editorial. Just like most, too kissy poo. As a side note, ever notice how 90% of Rods & Customs covered are build by "big shops" or advertisers ? Wonder why ? I think plenty guys are still building great vehicles at home, & are all not in Ca. Well, maybe now that Steve has moved east, we might see TRJ more often (?) or another title (?). Not so easy to find : (I have a friend send to me from the UK) is Custom Car Magazine. Might find in a big bookstore. Really well done & written from a little different perspective. Hot Rodding is surely BIG in the UK as well as much of Europe. I have stacks of older R & C and St. Rodder & others. Stop by and get a bag full . Re-reading is fun !! Ok that's my nickel's worth. Thanks to the JJ , Hamb, etc for allowing us to have this forum. Alan

2. dmikulec

dmikulec

And before that, utility companies were selling your personal data to marketing firms. Privacy. We never really had it.

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  3. Late to the party I see. I grew up a magazine junkie. Stopped buying most the last few years. Our local drugstore has a news stand as big as any I have seen in major metros. We are talking over 60 feet of shelving 6 feet high. I started seeing gaps in the last couple years. Walked down that isle a couple days ago and the empty spaces prob added up to 30% of the total space. Not just car mags but every subject. Truly sad but the HAMB started replacing mags for me 20 years ago.

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  4. Hop2it

Hop2it

I resubscribed to streetrodder mag in November for 2 years they sent me the subscription info clearly knowing they were going out. I received a offer to extend my subscription the day after I saw the “print is dead” thread here on HAMB this looks like blatant fraud to me what is the possibility of launching a class action lawsuit so they can’t enjoy the money they extracted from unsuspecting subscribers, me for example it looks like I will be getting 2 of the 24 issues I paid for.
    Doug

5. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I told TEN I wanted a refund for remaining Street Rodder & Classic Trucks. Do not intend to renew Hot Rod. Since I renewed my subscription at NSRA Nationals, waiting on a return call from them regarding refund. Think I'll get it???

P.S. As a retired soldier & Social Security recipient, my privacy is long gone. If U benefit from tax payer money U have no privacy.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's almost like outsourcing management of the entire federal OPM database (with access to root, natch) to China was a really Bad Idea! Almost. Our Public Servants are lookin' out for ya.

You got a WHOLE YEAR worth of FREE "LifeLock" subscription, so there's that.

7. Fordors

Fordors

Very simply, just find Ten’s contact info and send them an email. It took a week or so but I was contacted that I will get the refund I requested credited to my CC.

8. Stooge

Stooge

atleast its not all doom-and-gloom, I woke up to an email notification that I had auto-paid Hop Up for their new 226page annual magazine which is a good sign that its ready to ship and will soon be in my grubby little hands.

it sort of sounds like they are heading to 1 big annual magazine and several specials through out the year, but I might have read that wrong

9. Well done Ryan!!!
    ...from a 25 yr press mechanic....
    Lucky to have made it to retire

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I'm not convinced print is dead.
    Since my shop is on the Hagerty Insurance repairers list they send 6 copies quarterly of their new magazine titled "Hagerty"
    I pass them all around and the feedback is positive. I'm pretty sure all of their insured clients receive it.
    It runs approx. 135 pages in a larger format and is well done I think.
    The coverage is wide ranging and fresh as you might expect.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  11. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, my old Ford is insured through Hagerty so I get the magazine as well. And it is well written and interesting.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  12. I read in the paper that print died 20 years ago.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't forget about all of the newspapers that have died, or were bought up by big companies - more and more they are pushing to have their product "printed" online only - one of my few exciting things to do each morning is to walk down the drive to pick-up the newspaper - most days the entire paper has fewer pages than one section back in the glory days -

lurker mick and williebill like this.
  14. ken bogren

ken bogren

Print hasn't died ... the question is how to make it profitable.

Those that find the answer will go on
    those that don't, won't.

15. Memories they can't take away.
    s-l1600.jpg

Speed Gems likes this.
  16. My Hemmings keeps coming. They have changed with the trends and now sometimes feature a hot rod, custom or muscle car.
    It appeals to all the markets and they gets away with it.:cool:

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Lowrider mag is now history...

19. Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    R A Wrench likes this.
  20. What an interesting nut to crack. How does a publisher stay competitive with modern times and please the old main stays at the same time? No to mention satisfy advertisers, investors, etc... I think the big hurdle to overcome is the social media aspect. How many live feeds of the big events (GNRS, Hot Rod Reunion, Goodguys, NSRA, SEMA, etc, etc, etc....) are there? With the advent and ease of established writers and newcomers posting on Instagram, Facebook, The HAMB and other outlets, it all seems inevitable. Every big shop has almost real-time build progress. Also look at the popularity of YouTube and streaming networks and how they are effecting how we consume automotive info.

By the time a magazine has gone through the full to print process, reporting on things seems like yesterdays news, to those that are embedded in the social media culture. Instant gratification if you will. I'll say I a caught somewhere in the middle. It is neat seeing what's going on in the here and now, but there is just something so right about holding a magazine in your grubby paws.

21. vwtype3

vwtype3

I haven’t heard a word from SR about my subscription,have a couple of years to go.
    Bad way to treat your customers.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

The money managers may say that print is dead and cancel our subscriptions but, I am not dead! I will find a way to voice my interests in hot rodding!

23. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

One of the Moorehouse boys said " Ive seen a lot of changes in my lifetime and I've been against almost every one of them". Kind of sums it up for me.
    Pete

24. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Whenever they switched from prime media to 10 is a mystery but that name 10 is like they already knew that 19 magazines would be scrapped . Greedy Cheap skate bean counters destroy our world a piece at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Speed Gems likes this.
  25. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's not just the lowering of standards, it's that thing invented by Al Gore ;) called the "internet". You nowadays have almost all the information you need at the click of a mouse. Example: way back then I bought a mag if there was an article which interested me. Particularly tech articles, because I was not in the US where some of the knowledge was easier to access. So I accepted that I'll have to buy a whole mag just for the sake of that one 289 Ford-related article even if the rest was about Chevs and Mopars. Interesting but not worth spending the money (again, everything costs 3 times more than in the US). These days I either use google or post here or on my FB groups and usually within a couple of days (and sometimes a lot less) I have all the answers I need. Yes, there will always be a room for general, high quality history mags but a lot of the old stuff was about tech, and that has gone the way of the dodo, like it as not.

26. weldtoride

weldtoride

I know this is an old thread, but my 2 cents on print being dead. After I got my email from TEN giving me my choices after they cut my SRM subscription short, I was too torqued to jump in here. I've settled down some.

I pay exactly $29 for 2 years of Woodsmith , which is 12 issues, https://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/
    You can find it on the shelves as well, if you can find a newsstand or bookstore.
    Its been around for 4 decades. It runs 68 pages of content and has zero advertising other than for its own subscription.

It's printed on dull paper, much like John Nolan's Hometown Hot Rod magazine was. I want to bring John's excellent publication up here as he was making a go of it financially, with a traditional publishing model supported by a combination of copy sales and advertising. Hometown Hot Rod was a family endeavor and had to be put to rest because of a family illness.

In stark contrast to SRM's shut-down, and I think this is worth mentioning, when HHR had to fold, John sent refund checks for the remaining issues of his magazine to all subscribers. HHR was such a quality mag that a lot of subscribers responded likewise in a quality way and ripped up his offer, given the circumstances around his closing down shop.

charleyw and Baumi like this.
  27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

We will not even see the last issues in Australia as the distributors pulled the pin early and will not import them.

28. Nitro madness magazine is still in print.

29. Got my latest issue of Hot Rod yesterday. A very marked decline in paper and print quality compared to the last issue. Last swirl around the drain?

30. the flatlander

the flatlander

Hard to find a guy like John nowadays. I just subscribed to Rodding USA. $30/6 issues (thru a discount site. Old R&C guy runs it. We'll see. Alan