Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's see some Model A Sedans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen Barrett, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks that slipped by me. I just went back and read it now see what he meant when he said artist. I thought it was because somewhere in here I mentioned that I was an artist not because you called him one. lol. Well those pictures still look amazing and so does his car.

1947knuck, arkiehotrods and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  3. papajohn

papajohn

3922.jpeg IMG_20170512_151240783.jpg Mine. By the way, it's for sale.

4. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Stogy and don colaps like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    JUNK ROD likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Wow, some nice sedans here, folks. The OP had expressed interest in interiors, so here's what's inside my '28--humble and nothing to crow about. Dash is '32 style over the stock one. Rubber walk-off mat carpet, seats are '66 Mustang, red vinyl dyed black. Tanks Inc. steel cell-- baffled, flat bottom, and low profile so I can reach around for wiring and the rubber line-to-steel junction. (That's an OT vacuum pump). Anybody else?

Attached Files:

8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

B72770A9-49DE-4B5C-B3F8-F0D674203B93.jpeg 681056CB-EDF4-4994-BFAE-71B46B698C44.jpeg B3F5FE0F-5DB2-47C9-9A6D-DFBCC098D539.jpeg A4F14DE1-D5D0-4C8B-829E-3A2FEF576364.jpeg 8D4990FA-A86A-4F0B-A8DA-6C22E09D1480.jpeg My interior...pretty much stock. Original seats reupholstered.

1947knuck, mctim64, alfin32 and 3 others like this.
  9. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Here’s mine and it’s For Sale or Trade.

3D36B822-2E2C-496E-BF96-90DE0F76CD5D.jpeg

10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Post 196 is the style I love. Nice chop fender less and not so Low that the rear wheel is practically in the window. No disrespect to the other nice examples. That's just the one that does it for me.

Hombre likes this.
  11. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Awesome!!!!
    Thanks man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

1947knuck and Ron Brown like this.
  13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the interior pics. Sweet ride.

1947knuck likes this.
  14. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

15. I had this rust free, nice 28 sedan body/frame but I'm just not a sedan guy...sold it to help finance my coupe project.
    28sedan.jpg

16. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That is nice but I don't blame you. Your Coupe is amazing. Having one like it is on my bucket list. At some point I'll be selling my sedan to do that. I love my sedan but your Coupe is my dream car.

1947knuck, JUNK ROD and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. v8flat44

v8flat44

I say, "lets see" the one in pic # 3 of post 232....in my garage....

18. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I just want to thank everyone again for posting so many great sedans. It really motivates me to keep pushing forward on mine. If you're interested on how it's coming along check out my other Thread.

19. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

My Dad bought this car a few months before
    I was born. It was his daily driver through the middle and late 50's. I've known this car all my life and one of my earliest memories is sitting in his lap holding the steering wheel while he drove.
    Coupes and roadsters are cool, but to me the sedans are what a Model A Ford looks like.
    This car is a survivor, other than the alternator and turn signals, it's just as it was when he was driving it. I bought a touring B engine from H and H in California and have been gathering the pieces to convert to a top loader, top shift 4 speed. I recently purchased a more complete 29 Tudor and sold this one to a friend of the family that has been after me to own it since my dad passed a few years ago. The engine and transmission are now scheduled for installation the new purchase.

I expect that I'll always be a sedan guy.
    Model A Sedan 005.JPG

20. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

HambAndy's is the coolest Model A sedan in my opinion....on so many levels for so many reasons.
    upload_2019-12-31_14-41-59.png

unclescooby, S1B, ROCKER77 and 13 others like this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Can we see the 29 you got? I'm wondering why you didn't work with your dad's car.

1947knuck, quick85 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

23. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Oh Yeah! Flathead with a blower. Nice! How about some interior pics.

1947knuck likes this.
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I had planned to keep them both, but when I got the tan sedan it made my dad's car look so rough that it became a lot easier for our friend to convince me that he should own it.
    My Pap used the car as a car, a truck and a hunting rig. He hauled lumber, stone, sacks of cement, concrete blocks, basically anything he needed to move. A stack of 8 ' 2 x 8's was no problem, roll down the passenger window and set one end on the back seat. Tip the windshield out a little and tie them to the A pillar. Several times it came home with 4 quarters of moose and a set of antlers in the back. Just throw a sheet of visqueen on the back seat and load it in there. One time his good old best buddy and him were hunting in it when they ran it into a little dry creek bed. They could see where they wanted to get to, but the small brush and tall grass didn't let them see the shape of the surface close in front. Must have been moving right along, because all of a sudden the front went down, but the bottom of the creek was nice and round so it came right back up.... then it stopped, haha. The front bumper was sitting at the top of one bank and the back sitting on the other with all 4 wheels in the air. They got out on the running boards and jumped down in the creek bed. His buddy was always quite the comedian, he looked it over for a moment and said, "It'd sure be a damned good time to grease it."
    The car is so light that they just tied a rope on the front bumper brackets and started jerking until they got it parallel to the creek and drove down the creek til they could get out. He worked as a mechanic for many years before he switched to carpentry in WWII and he was a good one. If he had a gear box or an engine apart everything went back together with factory clearances, end play, preload and run out. However, he never took the time to do a nice job on the peripherals. If it didn't have anything to do with making the car (or tractor or whatever he was working on) move and function it just got tossed over his shoulder, haha.
    The last 20 years or so, he started using wire terminals and connectors. Before that it was just strip the wire, twist the bare end, wrap it around the terminal and put on the nut. Splices just got twisted together and wrapped in friction tape. The horn switch was a few wraps of friction tape around the steering column with a wire and a 4 inch chunk of hacksaw blade taped on top of that. Scratch the paint off the column and squeeze the saw blade down against it, presto... the horn works again. The firewall is Swiss cheese from all the box heaters it had over the years and everything is loose, squeaky and rusty.
    By now you should be getting the idea, the whole car is cool, but quite cobbled up. Our friend who bought it plans to leave it looking like it does, but fix up the engine, brakes, etc. That was my plan too, so it will still always be Lyle's old car.
    I have so many projects around here that I figure I'm better off investing the time I have available in a more complete car. I don't want a shiny restored Model A, just a dependable driver that is comfortable, fairly quiet, dry and very dependable. The tan car will be a lot easier to work with and my Pap's car will be in good hands. It really wasn't too hard a decision.
    The tan sedan needs a lot of attention too after sitting in a damp trailer in the shade of a garage where it couldn't ever dry out for 25 years. But, it has a complete interior from the 70's in pretty decent shape and pretty much everything is there. Shit (chuckling), the damned thing even has hood latches, it won't look like the Flying Nun coming down the road at you. It's not a restoration, but was fixed up a lot in the 70's and used quite a bit. I think it'll be a good one.
    20191111_120411.jpg 20191111_124933.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    LSR 2909, 1947knuck, Packrat and 6 others like this.
  26. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Model A Sedan 008.JPG What's the deal on the visors? Both cars are 29's, but Pap's car has a straight visor under the header panel and the tan sedan has a rounded visor at the roof line. Is Pap's car an early 29 with a 28 visor or what?

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got ripped off and Jalopyized...gently repaired with a claw hammer, tin and some nailage...perfect...:D

I could be wrong those visors were built right in there more pics...closer

Maybe it has a 30 on the Tan One...the roof looks a little tattered, was it replaced with available later Sub?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

1947knuck likes this.
  29. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That's a great story. The tan one is in a lot better shape. It's nice that your friend is going to maintain it the way it was. I guess I asked because I look at your Dad's car and see the potential for a great Hot Rod. As you can see from mine our visions for what these can be are very different. For me it's not very often I see old Ford that I don't want to cut up and make a Hot Rod out of it. lol. Good luck with it an have fun doing it. Oh yeah, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

1947knuck likes this.