Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is an OHC Pontiac straight 6 worth messing with?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Dec 29, 2019.

1. a local ad came up for a Pontiac OHC straight 6
    I have never messed with one and really don’t need it however I have been looking for a good 250 gm 6 for a project. I have found a good 250 very cheap but the OHC intrigues me.
    Question is I have no clue on value or experience with the OHC
    And is the added expense worth the effort.
    Thanks.

2. The Pontiac OHC 6 shares the same bellhousing pattern as the BOP. Its not the same bell as a Chevy 250 engine. They are fast powerful engines.

3. GTS225

GTS225

It would definitely be something different, especially if you outfitted it as a "Sprint" motor. Those had a single 4-brl carb attached to it, and got some pretty stout HP numbers, if memory serves me.

Roger

4. 021462BA-5119-4C29-9133-0382E3CF9502.png
    So this would be a BOP bell?
    Didn’t realize that. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Just beware the parts that wear out and can't be replaced without finding another engine.

A friend has been tinkering with them for a while, I think he ended up with about half a dozen engines. He took the 400 out of an OT Pontiac, and put the six in it's place. But he's also adding modern technology to make it more powerful and driveable.

That pic of the back of the motor doesn't show the BOP bolt pattern very well, from above...a different view would be nice

anthony myrick likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy enough to get a manual bell for BOP, or put a 200-4R behind it, or a cheap BOP to Chevy adapter.

Run it!

7. The pics the owner have posted does not show an intake/exhaust set up on it. It does have an extra head.
    The price is at 850. A big difference from the 250 Chevys I found. Even one free long block.
    Gonna message the seller and find out what is all there with it.

8. A few years ago I had a 64 tempest with a 215(?) 6 cyl I thought very seriously about finding a ohc 6 cyl mill for. But my daughter decided wedding experiences were more important

jakespeed63 likes this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Knew a guy who bought a sprint 6 4-speed 67 firebird, according to him it would run 7200 rpm without any problems. He said his had spent alot of time there.

Always wanted to play with one myself.

6-bangertim likes this.
  10. Opinion? I'd take the money and buy 3 of the Chevy 250's

chopped, squirrel and anthony myrick like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My buddy from Regina Canada has one with five carbs on it. Been on the road for a few years and he has over 30 k on the clock. It's a kool ass motor.

Kruzer63 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Maybe not 3 but the free one is torn down and looks buildable. Guy bent a pushrod and thought he killed it. The OHC would need the same amount of work the free 250 would.
    Might have just made my mind up

Old wolf likes this.
  13. They're about $250 around here. I've used a bunch and sold a bunch. Even the 230

anthony myrick likes this.
  14. We had a 1965 215 tempest. I still have the engine someplace. It looks just like a chevy. mine has the chev bell pattern. was equipped with a dual pattern turbine 300 two speed trans. a OHC 6 or a BOP pontiac 215 001.JPG pontiac 215 002.JPG V8 would have fit the trans.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a little work they will take a 292 Chev/GMC crank. Can come out a little over 300”. A friend had one and used some Mercedes parts in the cam follower area. Went 185 in my roadster with Hilborn style injection.

Stogy, j-jock, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  16. They were (are) good engines, however there is very little in the way of high performance, or for that matter even stock camshafts available. The cam rides directly on the aluminum head - no insert bearings. I believe there have been aftermarket solutions for that issue. I worked in the cam business in the 80’s and there were no cam castings available then and GMPD (General Motors Parts Division) no longer listed any engine components. To my knowledge they are pretty much fully orphaned by now. not trying to discourage anyone from using one of them, just offering that parts may still be a serious problem.

Stogy, catdad49, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  17. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I'd snag it in a HEARTBEAT! There was 2 versons, standard was with a 1-bbl, SPRINT with a quadrajet, dual-outlet exhaust manifold, hotter cam. There was issues with cam and lifter wear, but a good cam grinder can restore them. Do a search on Inliners International STOCK engine forum, or start a new thread - a ton of info should turn up there... For power and eyewash, SWING!!! Good Luck, Tim

Stogy, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Very cool engine, but as Jim and Charlie pointed out, I’d be very afraid of finding parts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  19. Looks like an estate sale thing. The person posting it doesn’t know much about it other than a Wikipedia copy and paste for the info on the engine.
    Going to contact to see if they can take a pic of the intake and carb set up.

Stogy likes this.
  20. It sure can't hurt to make an offer. Such a cool looking I6

21. Here is the best pic of it.
    Looks like it had AC
    7F773B69-0C68-4AFE-B3FC-63CE456F86F3.png

Stogy, Deuces and Okie Pete like this.
  22. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Anthony, camcraft cams makes cams for that engine. If you can find a copy of January 2017 Hemmings Muscle Machines there was an article on building the ohc Pontiac 6. I wouldnt worry too much about no cam bearings it doesn't seem to bother most modern ohc engines running their camshafts right in their aluminum heads. I say build it. I have a buddy who used to have a Firebird with the engine and he wishes he still had it, says it was a great engine.

Stogy, ClarkH, 6-bangertim and 5 others like this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Aesthetics are a helluva lot better than a Chevy 250:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Stogy, j-jock, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  24. We will see how firm they are on the $
    850 seems high from the responses here.

knucklenutz likes this.
  25. Aesthetically speaking, the engine won’t be seen much in my 57 step van.
    But they are cool looking.

Stogy, chevy57dude and Blues4U like this.
  26. Plexiglass doghouse. It's the only answer.

Stogy, 6-bangertim, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. we thought about that with colored LEDs
    :D

Stogy, Cosmo49 and chevy57dude like this.
  28. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

29. Little easier to see the concave dip between the top two bolts..I'd say yes, BOP pattern.
    I never thought about what pattern they had but BOP sounds correct, as mentioned.

30. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The current issue of Hot Rod has a build article on a Pontiac OHC 6.

loudbang likes this.