Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *Let's talk about welding thin tubing to thick exhaust flanges!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Do you weld tubing to the flanges from the outside? Inside? Both? It depends? :confused:

I'm MIG welding my Tudor's exhaust system & started by tacking 16 ga. tubing to 1/4" 3-bolt flanges.
    I've welded from the outside and have what looks like a good weld, given the bead's shape & bluish colored HAZ.
    But looking at the inside (the gasket surface), It's obvious I didn't penetrate hardly at all. :oops:

I think I should weld a bead around that edge too, then grind & file it flat. What do *you* think? :confused:

Thanks, fellas.
    20191229_130713_2.jpg 20191229_134026_3.jpg 20191229_134215_2.jpg

Dino 64 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A good weld on the outside should do it. But for insurance a small bead on the inside and grind smooth would not hurt anything. Remember, after welding, it’s probably going to have some warpage in it anyway.

Bones

mad mikey and Just Gary like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary,
    It's too late now, but I would have inserted the pipe half way through the flange, and fully welded it on the inside, and ground it flat. Then skip weld it on the outside. In your case you probably need to weld, and grind it flat.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Personally , I would go with a thicker flange . Look at what header manufactures processes are as well. I would weld as you described then smoothing welds flat so you get good gasket sealing properties. Hope you check your flanges that they do not get warped. There is a thread on here, with good advice from other hambers. Good for you doing your own work.:)

mad mikey, Boneyard51 and Just Gary like this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I would have ran the heat and wire up to handle the 1/4" thick metal and pulled the weld puddle into the lighter tube as you went along.

6. railcarmover

railcarmover

As said,concentrate heat on the flange and 'pull' it to the tubing. The only penetration discoloration should be on the tube. Its not structural anyway..

7. I bolt the flanges to the head and tack the pipe on the outside, then unbolt it and weld the inside.

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put flange at top of tubing----weld it---grind it flush.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. GTS225

GTS225

Hmmmm. I suggest you grind a bevel around the inside of the chosen gasket side of the flange, and insert tube as you see fit. Then spot weld around the perimeter, and grind to smooth. That'll give you a larger area, and larger associated bead.

Just my opine.....Roger

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

I as always weld the tube inside, nothing but a tack on the outside.

Robert J. Palmer and Just Gary like this.
  11. Ziggster

Ziggster

That weld looks solid to me and better than most of my booger welds, but I'm no expert. I would never have thought about welding from the inside. That 1/4" plate looks kinda thin to me, but pics can be deceiving. Also, with the weld that close to mounting holes, it might be challenging to install.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. Welding the inside also helps "dig" into the gasket for a better seal.

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think brazing those joints would fill the void completely to prevent any pin holes and should be plenty strong for a header. Less heat would result in less warpage too. Any reason not to us brazing instead of weld?

Just Gary likes this.
  14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Heres what i would do if i could weld. Flange-Weld-1_zpsxgjxuhph.jpg Header-Finished-D-3_zpsggkccfy5.jpg

catdad49 and Just Gary like this.
  15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I weld on the inside only.
    On my race car, I used 1/2 inch thick flanges and O-ringed them before welding.
    No need for gaskets that way and they never blow out.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. If I had a welder, and if I knew how to weld, and if I had a Bridgeport end mill, and if I knew what I was talking about, I would probably camphor the I.D. of the flanges and lay a righteous bead in there on the outside.
    But I don't, and I can't, and I don't, and I for sure don't.
    I might not be a professional-quality welder but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last trip, and I know enough not to put anything I welded on my car................ and not to give welding advice. :confused:

Just Gary and seb fontana like this.
  17. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m just getting ready to make some turn outs, so thanks for the timely question and answers. I like the suggestions to push the pipes through the flange, weld the inside, then grind flat. That should result in a suitable seal and a nice clean look on the outside.

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It should have been tack welded on the outside, and a complete weld on the inside.

Just Gary likes this.
  19. Gary. I have done this both ways making headers. Inside, outside and both. They all have worked fine. Its your call.

reagen, Just Gary and ekimneirbo like this.
  20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

mad mikey and Just Gary like this.