Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar mini starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Dec 29, 2019.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Can any of the mopar gurus tell me about the mini starter? I have an 85-89 LA 318 and I need a mini starter for clearance. What year starter, part number, ect... will work????
    Thanks
    Pushrod Scott

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use the starter that was on the V6 Dakota in 89 on everything mopar!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Desoto291Hemi, 46poncho and racer-x like this.
  3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have used the Dakota starter on all of my small block Mopars. I am building a 800 to 1000 hp blown hemi and I plan on using the same starter.
    Tony

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use it on a 500" 440 with 12.5 to 1 CR with no problem at all, it spins it like it was the V6.

Desoto291Hemi and 46poncho like this.

5. The 1989 Dakota had a 318 in it from shelby. That was the first year for a v 8 in a dakota. I had one. Any starter after that works. They work on almost any mopar engine. That includes A; B; Rb; hemi gen 1 and 2 the cheap 35 dollar starters work great. There is a piece that's offered to change the wiring angles. When the starter is mounted on the drivers side everything fits. When the starter goes on the left the positive gets close to the block. The optional piece rotates the wires away from the block. It's a mopar part that's not included with the parts store piece.

6. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Where did you find a 35 dollar mini starter? Cheapest I can find is 76 bucks

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Read that more carefully. Jack E/NJ

kadillackid and 46poncho like this.
  9. My local parts store has them that cheap. That's with my racer discount.

10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Agreed on which model but in all my vehicles they are such a pain to get at I spend a little more on the Mopar performance rather than parts store re-man. I hate changing them out so a better unit hopefully lasts longer. I worked in parts stores in early 90's and was never thrilled with the reman quality.

11. The mopar starter put along side a remanufactured unit is identical. They are the same size. I have had mopars starters in the past and saw no advantage. That's coming from one of the most hard core mopar guys on the hamb.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    I heard you use a 318 to start that brute!:D

13. 498 big ones.

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

There is an even a smaller starter that fits and works well. Ask for one from a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, the automatic starter for this application is totally different and will not fit.

This is a coaxial (planetary) gear reduction design, not offset like the Chrysler and Nippondenso gear reduction starter designs. That's why the motor housing is directly in line with the starter drive axis, thus making the whole starter more "laterally compact". (The "Mini" is on the bottom of the picture below and the 2005-2008 RAM is shown on the top of the picture).

- EM

Starters.png

racer-x, David Gersic and 46poncho like this.
  15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^ this is a great mini but won't fit the older rb 440 etc motors. .. Ask me how I know

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good info, guys. Thanks.
    Learning and relearning all things Mopar lately.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

What size wrench do I need to take one off at pull a part? Gonna stop this week end. Better to spend a little and make sure it fits past the exhaust than spend a lot!!!

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

5/8” box wrench. Those starters were introduced in 1988 when Chrysler started offering throttle body fuel injection on the 3.9 V6 and 5.2 V8 motors.

Cliff Ramsdell

19. why not just get one from the store and if does not fit take it back and get the other one. if it fits the first time your good.

b-body-bob likes this.