Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Check out a car in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 29, 2019.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Happy New Year all! I've been looking for an early 50's wagon to replace our wrecked '51 Pontiac wagon, preferably a Chrysler or DeSoto. A pal here sent me a Marketplace ad for a '53 DeSoto in Ulm, MN. It's a 10 hour drive for me to check it out, I'm not opposed to buying sight unseen, but for a lot of reasons, the owner can't get more photos (he's moved, the car is stored at a relatives home).

I'm wondering if there's anyone in that area who could lay eyes on it for me, and give me a third party eval, I'd be happy to reimburse for your time and judgement.

Thanks!

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i am about 50 miles away, if no one closer steps in i can do it as i am off work for winter. lets give it a day or so, i know there are some hambers in new ulm

wraymen, Boneyard51 and Hombre like this.
  3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I'm seeing this quite a bit anymore. Sellers take pictures of a car in a dark garage or building half covered up with crap and then give a half asses description. These are turn offs for me and a lot of red flags pop up. It seems they are hiding something. If you honestly want to sell the car take good pictures and give an honest description. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to look at a car and it turn out to be a piece of crap.

jazz1, scotty t, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  4. So true, they are never as good as you think they may be.

RRanchero Rick and Boneyard51 like this.

5. coupe man

coupe man

But there's always that one time when it turns out to be something special,which is why we always look.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm not volunteering him, but Roadsir is in New Ulm - send him a message, he may know of the car.

1927graham, Chucky and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Myself, I would find it hard to buy a car sight unseen. Too many differences in one person's opinion over another. In my recent search for a car, two very much opposite opinions (from my point of view) produced these pictures:
    DSCF1750.JPG
    This one was described to me before I drove out to see it (2 hour drive, no pictures beforehand) as "as good as you are likely to find".

50 Ford at shop.jpg
    This one was described as "a pretty good car that needs a little work". I drove 1300 miles to look at it and bought it then and there.

It can be tough buying a car long distance. I hope someone that sees things as you do is able to look at the car for you and give an opinion that ends up being what you need it to be. Good luck looking. :)

8. When I bought my merc that was way out on the east coast.
    The seller was pretty honest called it a cheap solid runner, told me it’s faults and it’s plus’.
    Posted here in the Hamb and found a great guy to go look at it.
    Basically told the same thing as the seller.
    Not great, but good, runs well etc.
    Up to you.

Bought it and haven’t looked back.
    Would I buy a car sight unseen?
    Unless it was under a grand and I’m buying it for parts, nope.

9. mike matters

mike matters

Like the ones that wash down 50 year old paint to take a picture

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

uncleandy 65 and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I bet they weren’t the same price! The grey one looks like it could be a good builder, though. I’ve been on a few wild goose chases, myself! Drove to Mason City, Iowa, a couple of years ago, to look at “ Grampas” garage kept car..... was a bondo Queen!

Bones

11. Latigo

Latigo

I never went on a blind date either.

da34guy likes this.
  12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm probably gonna pass on the thing. As everyone pointed out, terrible photos, terrible, vague description, can't get more pics, etc. etc. Something will come up, I watch the classifieds here everyday, CL and Marketplace, and have feelers out with out my car pals. There's one out there for us somewhere!

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

and...you being from michigan you know what rust is all about and minnesota aint any different. almost any thing here has been patched up if its been a life long resident. go west young man, get something from west of the Mississippi if you want a keeper

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Flynbrian, are you looking for any model ‘50s station wagon? I’ll keep an eye out here in Oklahoma. There are a few around. Just 50s? No sixties or 40s?

Bones

flynbrian48 likes this.
  15. More pictures would prove it to be not much better than a parts car, at least in my opinion. The guy that sent me looking knew I wanted a car to drive not a project. :( I never got as far as talking price on the grey one, and after some of the cars I went to look at, and comparing prices, some very much lesser cars than the one I bought were priced the same or considerably more than I ended up paying. I do think though that I got way more than my money's worth with this car.

The car I bought ends up as a bit of a project, but in my heart I always knew any car I bought would need "my touch". :cool:

Boneyard51 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I hear you! I looked all over the USA for the car in my avatar! If the price was right.... junk. If it looked decent, price was through the roof. Bided my time and found my car, 20 miles from home! The one in the pic! cheaper than any roller I had priced, XL to boot. New exhaust, new springs, new suspension, new interior ( but done poorly) new battery, new Cragars with new tires, even the spare! Good twenty foot paint. Butt load of parts! The dude was just tired of sinking anymore money in it and had given up!
    Good things happen to those who wait! Maybe....that’s what I heard anyway.....lol

Bones

17. "Good things happen to those who wait! Maybe...."

I couldn't agree more. " :)

18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, boneyard51, late ‘40’s (steel body) thru mid ‘50’s. Trying to replace this one. Thanks! IMG_2590.JPG IMG_2596.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I thought I’d replied to your comment, but I’m on my phone and it’s awkward. Thanks, yes, no newer than mid 50’s, I’d like a Chrysler or DeSoto. See the photos above of our wrecked’51 Pontiac.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

55 wagon.jpg

In the middle of Iowa.

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If Brian isn’t interested, I might be.

Bones

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe this?
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/san-mateo-1950-oldsmobile-tin-woody/7038665978.html
    1950 Oldsmobile Tin Woody Rocket 88 - $12500 (San Mateo)
    1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Futuramic Tin Woody Wagon -4-door station wagon
    This car runs and is very rare and in good condition. It does need new floor pans. It has the original 303 V8 Engine with 2 speed automatic transmission. All the numbers match. The front suspension bushings and bearings have been replaced. I have a new hood as well as an extra front bumper and some other miscellaneous parts. I have all the original wood from the inside. I also have all new hand crafted interior wood to replace everything. I have the skirts and there are new tires on the original rims
    [​IMG]

Boneyard51 and flynbrian48 like this.
  24. speedshifter

speedshifter

5154bat, Looks good. Would a 1950 have a 4 speed Hydramatic & one piece windshield? Greg

25. blazedogs

blazedogs

Very true...

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Was that here in Michigan? There was one at the Olds gathering in Mason this summer I looked at, rusty floors, running 303/hydro.

28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know anything about it. Its listed on the Los Angeles Craigslist but says its from San Mateo which is by the San Francisco Bay area and the plate is from Oklahoma so anything is possible.

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another one from NoCal:
    The old lost title bit is a bit concerning. 01313_l1TSU4ltnt8_600x450.jpg
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/monte-rio-51-chevy-tin-woodie-4-door/7038623699.html
    51 Chevy Tin Woodie 4 door - $12000 (russian river)
    1951 Chevrolet Station Wagon "Tin Woodie". 4 door 6cyl. 3 on the tree. Not quite a rust bucket, body solid with great patina, all glass and trim intact. Custom hand paint faux wood grain trim, custom interior with suede and simulated "alligator" upholstery, new carpet kit, head liner, custom wood door panels and "old school Visor". New rear end, starter, fuel tank fuel pump , and battery. Radiator and heater core rebuilt. Starts drives and stops but needs some more mechanic expertise, will get my mechanic to go over it when he comes back from vacation, then the price will go up accordingly. Title lost has been out of DMV for over 25 years.

30. stingbean

stingbean

Hnstray likes this.