Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What MUFFLER (58 Chevy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Dec 29, 2019.

1. I have a 58 Bel Air , 283 motor. We are doing new dual exhaust system* what mufflers are out there that are just slightly above the sound or original muffler? I am not into glass packs or deep interior exterior sound for this car.

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If not glasspacks, then turbos would be the era correct mufflers to use, and will give a very nice, mellow tone, but breathe very well. Something like this:
    http://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/thrush-turbo-muffler

Or, an alternative that is not really era correct, but will give a glasspack type of exhaust tone but more muffled, not as loud, are Magnatone style straight through mufflers, which are basically a glorified glasspack. I've got something like these on my 47 coupe w/ SBC, they're actually very quiet inside, but when you step on it you will hear it, very nice tone:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...724454?hash=item56c36a8126:g:H1AAAOSw~~9cputU

Whatever you do, for the love of God, don't install Flowmaster chambered mufflers on it!

Just Gary and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I put a set of Porter mufflers on my car. They have a nice low tone at cruise and wake up when you want them to. You can go on YouTube to hear if it’s the sound you want. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its been 3 or four days since we had a muffler thread. I was beginning to worry. :cool:

5. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I've put Smithys on my last two builds. A '47 Ford with a flattie, and a '41 Ford pickup with a 302w. They are not real loud at idle or cruising, but if you stand on it, you will know they are there. I will be putting them on my '54 Ford Coupe.