Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead broken stud removal. It gets ugly real quick.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

Been struggling with Vertigo over the last week or so but had a little sesh yesterday, and got a little bit of video for you.

It didn't go too well.

If you don't try you don't learn.

Check it out.

Mart.

2. Great job Mart,,,,,as always.

Happy New Year to you as well !

Tommy

3. Mart

Mart

Thanks Tommy, same to you.

Happy new year to the hamb.

Mart.

4. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Scary to watch you using that torch with the Bic? lighter laying there!

5. How do get all the spatter out of the openings?

6. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Working in a machine shop back in the day we would just taking a cutting torch and blow the broken bolt/plug stud, whatever out. It will go away, way before that cast gets hot enough to be cut. Did it nearly on a daily basis.

irishsteve likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah, lighting a torch with a lighter or having one close by could cause a lot of grief! I only use a striker as there is nothing to ignite/explode...
    Thanks for doing this vid. I've thought abought the mig technique but rather apprehensive about "blowing them out" with a torch.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. 0nedon

0nedon

Old machinest friend of mine told me he removed a lot of broken bolts and screws by simpely heating and melting candle wax down into the threads.

9. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Interesting. Everyone says not to use a lighter to light the torch, but no one has said why before.

10. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

one time i was laying under a car cutting out the rear end using the torch to cut the u bolts off,had a pack of matches to light the torch with,was cutting the bolts and a spark got in the matchbook,it nearly exploded,i had it in my other hand,got burned bad in the palm,it had a square patch where the cover was,all burned around the package.Never again after that,it hurt for 3 weeks.I imagine a ighter would be worse if it caught fire,it would melt as most are plastic. Harvey

11. I use LP in my torches. A striker and heavy gloves are a necessity when lighting LP. Fire wrenches are a great tool for unsticking componets. Reciently I used mine to successfully remove the stuck Dist in a 428 FE. it had been in place since 1967. Managed to get it out without any damage. I attended the funeral of a old friend my age Friday. Was lighting a fire using gasoline and was badly burned. He lived for a couple of days afterward.

12. Mart

Mart

Yeah, it's funny, I didn't think about the lighter when doing the job, but could see clear as day when editing the video that it wasn't a good idea to leave it right there.

As long as people learn something and/or find it entertaining I'm happy to share my hobby time. Normally that something is what not to do or that Mart's an eejit.

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks for the video Mart.
    Not to point out the mistake Mart. but to relay my experience.
    A welder in my shop had a Bic lighter in his pocket while oxy/acel cutting.
    a piece of hot spark entered through his pants leg and into the plastic lighter.
    He had a hell of a burn from that.

14. Mart

Mart

Thanks for all the responses, fellas.

I have had done a bit more exploratory work on stud removal, purely in the interest of self education. I made sure the lighter was well out of the way.

I managed to successfully remove two more today, I drilled down through them and used the welding technique in conjunction with heating with oxy gear. One came out easy, one really fought me. Got the bastard out though.

I need to stop dicking around with the scrap block and start looking at boring the good block. I'm fighting a bit shy of that because I am a beginner at boring and from my stud debacle I know that over confidence can be a very bad thing.

Mart.

Petejoe and dirty old man like this.