Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevy S-10 trans (won't go into fifth gear)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v-8 Ford, Dec 21, 2019.

1. v-8 Ford

v-8 Ford
    from Florida

I was driving my 40 pu today (flathead powered) and on the way home I could not shift into fifth. Any ideas. Let me know if you have any ides. Thanks! Rich

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@v-8 Ford

I had a Aisin AX-15 5 speed (Dodge-Jeep), not T-5, but very similar in layout..... that developed same problem. It was a cracked syncro hub on 5th. May not be your problem....but worth considering.

Ray

jazz1 likes this.
  3. If that's the only gear acting up it could well be the syncro/blocker gear.Your lucky that's a easier one to get to.Remove the tail shaft housing,and its right there.Take off a snap ring,and it comes off.Go on youtube,and search rebuild a T5. There are several good ones that tell you how to get in there,and check the syncro.Also the 5th has its own "fork" that moves it.It has plastic wear pads on it that can wear down,or crack off.Check them for damage.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    jazz1 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

That is where I’d look first also , would 5 th gear synchronizer . Remove the tail shave and go exploring . Just put a new one in and look at the shift fork and hub while you are there also .

jazz1 likes this.

5. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Sometimes it's just the snap ring fails/comes off and lets the overdrive gear slide on the shaft.

jazz1 likes this.
  6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what happened to the Mustang/T-10 tail housing conversion in my '32. I was told the S-10 OD grove was sometimes not machined deep enough to retain the 5th gear snap ring.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    jazz1 likes this.
  7. v-8 Ford

v-8 Ford
    from Florida

Thank you for your help! Rich

8. shortypu

shortypu

Took my T5 apart the other day and found a broken shifter fork and 5th gear snap ring broke.The second pic shows the gear slid back on main shaft. IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1879.JPG

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might not be your issue, but I had a customer come to me once, with a T5 that would not shift into 5th.

It turned out that someone sold him a T4, as a T5.

Cooon likes this.
  10. is it a T5 or a GETRAG trans? Either way check syncro