Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 Ford F100 ride comfort. Need help...please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pgaines, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Pgaines

Pgaines

IMG_4598.JPG IMG_4599.JPG IMG_4604.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. town sedan

town sedan

Might be an optical illusion, but in your photo above it looks like you're just about on the rubber bump stop with weight on the suspension.
    -Dave

3. Pgaines

Pgaines

That might be a good call. I have 2” lowering blocks. Love the stance but maybe 1” might be worth a try.
    Thank you Dave

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. town sedan

town sedan

Shorted bump stop? How much suspension travel do you have? At ride height how much clearance between the axle top and bottom of the bump stop? Different shocks, or changes to the springs, won't help if it's bottoming out.
    -Dave

5. alchemy

alchemy

Of course it's going to ride rough. You have zero travel before you are hitting the bump stops.

When you replace (remove) the lowering blocks make sure they are installed correctly. Looks like the block is not centered on the spring and axle pad. Is that an optical illusion? For sure the U bolts are crooked.

6. town sedan

town sedan

Plane as day, didn't notice the U bolts until you pointed it out. It does look like the axle pad needs to be moved inboard a bit too.
    -Dave

7. alchemy

alchemy

Also, your brake hose shouldn't rub on the edge of the frame. Even braided hoses will wear a hole in them.

Blue-Collar-HotRods likes this.
  8. Pgaines

Pgaines

Great points. I’m grateful for the help! I will measure the suspension travel in the next day. Out of time today. I will let y’all know. Thanks again for the input.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Take it to Gas Monkey and have Aaron put bags on it.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It is not a hard ride you have in fact it is a too soft ride is part of your problem as the suspension has dropped to the point as mentioned where the axle is riding on the bump stop.
    Another common issue that I was expecting to see in your case was that the shocks were bottoming out, but they seem OK.
    Always a trade off isn't it...